New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #256 of 335
Hey, chill out.

The question was... Would not another Shiit balanced SS amp be redundant? no, because of other different features that do improve sound quality.

I don't know where you're from and it is not my business!

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #257 of 335
Jason,
You can't please everyone and don't even bother; even Apple can't. There are plenty of people who respect you and Mike's talent and what your decades of experience can bring to the table.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #258 of 335

Quote:

Well, I think that making an SS version of the statement amp does make sense.

Relay-switched stepped volume control makes a significant technical upgrade, as each relay is matched. And I don't think it's the only upgrade that is gonna come.

I'm not American, but Made in the USA means know-how.

...As for French wines, Russian dancers, Italian shoes, Japanese samurai swords or whatever else has been made in the same wherever since centuries ago.

Never underestimate know-how. Each crafter has secrets he would tell no-one. Secrets that come by generations of experience.

Chinese producers don't want do s..w you, it's just that s..t they couldn't foresee, happens.

My pick would be French dancers, English shoes, Japanese electronics, and Russian girls! American know-how, are you kidding me? American pop culture OK! Don't beat me up guys!
deadhorse.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #259 of 335
I fully agree. I wouldn't buy a crap chinese car. I also wouldn't buy a crap american car. There are chinese amp designers who are creating great products. There are also ones churning out crap. Manufacturing in America is challenging and considering build quality, sound quality, and price Schiit should be held up as a model for small manufactures across North America. 

I disagree with the French chefs however....the best chefs IMO are Italians. The lovers should be Brazilians.

Quote:
Good, go buy one of their cars and take it for a crash test and see what else falls out.  China buying Volvo was obviously a waste of money?  
rolleyes.gif
  Every society has had it's time to shine, doesn't mean they have expertise in designing an amplifier or anything else in particular.  Let me know when they craft a tube that sounds as good as the ones built 65 years ago.  Just so you know, I'm not in the buy USA camp myself.  I'm in the buy the best product camp.  There is nothing more American than that IMO. 

"Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss. 
Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #260 of 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bottom line: trust what your ears tell you. 

And there ya go. All that needs to be said. Not sure how someone could take offense to a product being made in the US and that being a benefit for manufacturers here.

Some people on this forum need a vacation or at least a drug induced coma.

Apr 6, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #261 of 335

Quote:
My pick would be French dancers, English shoes, Japanese electronics, and Russian girls! American know-how, are you kidding me? American pop culture OK! Don't beat me up guys!
deadhorse.gif

Ah, and today I discover that America is new to Audio Engineering... +1 for the Russian girls though. Great point there!!!

P.S. ...Personal curiosity - I'm also a shoe collector - English shoemakers such as?

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #265 of 335
Are your HD650's balanced? If they are then you may want to wait. The Lyr is a great amp but the Mjolnir is likely to bring it up a level. You may also find a step up in the number of second hand Lyrs also coming up for sale and some may also have tube collections.

But my view is that the Lyr is that cheap that you could probably stretch for both!:wink:

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #268 of 335

Would this be the wrong time to purchase a Lyr for my HD650 with a new amp coming soon?

I'd buy a Lyr and start tube rolling. Might as well have some fun while waiting. 

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #269 of 335
I have a Lyr and a Bifrost already, and have started saving up for both the statement amp and DAC. I have a few options for headphones to be paired with the new setup.

Which would be best with the upcoming statement amp and DAC?

1. Recabling the Beyer T1s I already own to XLR.
2. Buying LCD-2s and getting an XLR cable
3. Buying Edition 8s and recabling them to XLR

I kind of want to get the edition 8s, but do you think they might get blown out by the wattage of the amp? I know there's almost 0 details on the statement stuff from Schiit, but any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #270 of 335

Quote:
I have a Lyr and a Bifrost already, and have started saving up for both the statement amp and DAC. I have a few options for headphones to be paired with the new setup.

Which would be best with the upcoming statement amp and DAC?

1. Recabling the Beyer T1s I already own to XLR.
2. Buying LCD-2s and getting an XLR cable
3. Buying Edition 8s and recabling them to XLR

I kind of want to get the edition 8s, but do you think they might get blown out by the wattage of the amp? I know there's almost 0 details on the statement stuff from Schiit, but any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I'm in the same boat, except I'm preparing for the mid-tier balanced gear. Then selling Bifrost + Lyr for Statement. 

As far as recabling that would depend on what headphones you prefer. I would go with the T1's since you already have 'em. This is all of course dependent on your budget and if that's not an issue, buy the LCD-2s and go balanced with them as well.

The only details I know on the statement gear are they will use completely different tubes and different sockets. Now decide between SS and hybrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back