New Balanced Schiit Amps? The information and anticipation thread.
Apr 4, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #241 of 335
Not the first ever, but probably the first commercial one.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #242 of 335
Jason just ignore the Bryston troll... I don't think anyone is taking him seriously. Wow talk about trying your best to shill for one company. He's obviously jealous of all the attention Schitt is getting and record breaking profits/sales that have occured in the last couple of years. I don't see too many threads filled with excited chatter over Bryston products, while Schitt has so many threads it's hard to keep up.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #243 of 335
Just found this on the Bryston website:

"Bryston engineers are never constrained by design costs for functionality. On the contrary, Bryston challenges their engineers to create the finest products they can; to source and use the best components; to move Bryston equipment ever-closer to perfection, while maximizing performance and reliability."

Some people are not made of money, so we do consider costs... and thus, Schitt Happens.
cool.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #244 of 335

Quote:
Mjolnir is already SS; creating another SS statement amp so soon will likely cannibalize sales from it.

Who knows how many owners will actually send a unit back to swap between tube & SS? I'd rather Schitt spends their resources optimizing SQ

Well, I think that making an SS version of the statement amp does make sense.

Relay-switched stepped volume control makes a significant technical upgrade, as each relay is matched. And I don't think it's the only upgrade that is gonna come.

I'm not American, but Made in the USA means know-how.

...As for French wines, Russian dancers, Italian shoes, Japanese samurai swords or whatever else has been made in the same wherever since centuries ago.

Never underestimate know-how. Each crafter has secrets he would tell no-one. Secrets that come by generations of experience.

Chinese producers don't want do s..w you, it's just that s..t they couldn't foresee, happens.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #245 of 335

Quote:
Jason just ignore the Bryston troll... I don't think anyone is taking him seriously. Wow talk about trying your best to shill for one company. He's obviously jealous of all the attention Schitt is getting and record breaking profits/sales that have occured in the last couple of years. I don't see too many threads filled with excited chatter over Bryston products, while Schitt has so many threads it's hard to keep up.

To be honest none of us know what either the BHA-1 or the Mjolnir will sound like as of yet.  Personally I'm not too convinced by marketing, I'm interested in the specs or peoples listening impressions, I'm not interested in the hype, and see it as a disruptive influence which seems way too prevalent on head-fi.  Either way the Mjolnir is not even in a similar price range to the BHA-1 and has different power output, different design topology, and quite importantly different release date.  Nobody will know what either of these amps sounds like for a long time.  There is no real point speculating which of these would sound better due to these reasons.

As for country of origin, I personally don't consider this when I purchase, my money will go to whoever provides the best sounding product at the price point I can afford.  If that product comes for USA I would be very happy, if it comes from China, so be it.  I am very happy that Schiit is manufacturing in the US, but their products must still hold up to the same high standards as any other manufacturer regardless of nationality.  I have every confidence that Schiit will be able to achieve this with the Mjolnir.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #246 of 335
Just to remind you of world history....
The chinese were making sophisticated tools, building a wall that can be seen from space, creating music and art, and navigating much of the globe since before America (as white people define it at least) even existed. 

The chinese have know-how falling out their butts. 

We live in a global society and with the internet and the number of people studying abroad I should think that we've moved past nationalistic rhetoric. 

Some of the best products in the world are made in China. They also make some cheap junk. Some products made in the US (or insert country name here _______ ) are excellent. Some are complete junk. It's all the same. 

Quote:

Relay-switched stepped volume control makes a significant technical upgrade, as each relay is matched. And I don't think it's the only upgrade that is gonna come.

...As for French wines, Russian dancers, Italian shoes, Japanese samurai swords or whatever else has been made in the same wherever since centuries ago.

Never underestimate know-how. Each crafter has secrets he would tell no-one. Secrets that come by generations of experience.

Chinese producers don't want do s..w you, it's just that s..t they couldn't foresee, happens.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #247 of 335

Quote:

Good, go buy one of their cars and take it for a crash test and see what else falls out.  China buying Volvo was obviously a waste of money?  
rolleyes.gif
  Every society has had it's time to shine, doesn't mean they have expertise in designing an amplifier or anything else in particular.  Let me know when they craft a tube that sounds as good as the ones built 65 years ago.  Just so you know, I'm not in the buy USA camp myself.  I'm in the buy the best product camp.  There is nothing more American than that IMO. 

"Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss. 
Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #248 of 335
+1 For all we know the MJOLNIR will be huge flop. I don't know enough about Bryston to say whether they're awesome or not, maybe they are. Just find it annoying when someone comes to a Schitt thread and starts bashing the company and the entire line and starts proclaiming the unfathomable superiority of a Bryston product that hasn't even been released. I think the prices alone say they're not direct competitors. Now if somebody wanted to post a specific grievance about Schitt or their products that's great, fantastic, but I find it annoying when someone kicks them around for being a young company that offers cheaper products, as if those two things make it impossible they could offer excellent value/quality.

Quote:
To be honest none of us know what either the BHA-1 or the Mjolnir will sound like as of yet. Nobody will know what either of these amps sounds like for a long time.  There is no real point speculating which of these would sound better due to these reasons.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #249 of 335
"The Bryston troll", I gotta say I got a laugh out of that one.  Yes, I am a proud American proudly supporting a Canadian company.  Bryston, if you are listening, I am willing to be your sponsored member on this forum, American passport notwithstanding.

Schiit--along with all other kit makers--have got to earn my greenbacks based on product quality and value, not based on the location of its factory or the nationality of its designers.  The U.S. lectures the world about the virtues of free markets, competition, and inveighs against protectionism against U.S. imports, economic nationalism etc, yet some Americans don't practice what we preach.  Let the audio kit come from all corners of the world.  Schiit--along with all other kit makers--could be based on the moon for all I care.  Ultimately what will best help American manufacturing and industry is to be exposed to the full brunt of international competition rather than shield it with knee-jerk economic parochialisms.  After all, isn't that what we've been telling the world for decades?  I hope meritocracy still means something to Americans regardless of where the merit and talent comes from.

Apr 5, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #250 of 335
Also equally annoying is when products are being professed to slaughter all their competition many times its price.

IMO - less hype, less bagging, less hypothetical situations and more actual reviews (when they come out).

Quote:
+1 For all we know the MJOLNIR will be huge flop. I don't know enough about Bryston to say whether they're awesome or not, maybe they are. Just find it annoying when someone comes to a Schitt thread and starts bashing the company and the entire line and starts proclaiming the unfathomable superiority of a Bryston product that hasn't even been released. I think the prices alone say they're not direct competitors. Now if somebody wanted to post a specific grievance about Schitt or their products that's great, fantastic, but I find it annoying when someone kicks them around for being a young company that offers cheaper products, as if those two things make it impossible they could offer excellent value/quality.

Apr 5, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #251 of 335
[>
Hell is where the Chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, the Police are German and it's all organised by the Italians."

[/quote]

I want to know what is wrong with Swiss lovers? Isn't either Inga or Helga Swiss? Don't tell me I have been dreaming of pretty Swiss girls for nothing!:wink:

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #252 of 335

Quote:
Just to remind you of world history....
The chinese were making sophisticated tools, building a wall that can be seen from space, creating music and art, and navigating much of the globe since before America (as white people define it at least) even existed. 

We live in a global society and with the internet and the number of people studying abroad I should think that we've moved past nationalistic rhetoric. 

Some of the best products in the world are made in China. They also make some cheap junk. Some products made in the US (or insert country name here _______ ) are excellent. Some are complete junk. It's all the same. 

You've completely misunderstood my statements.

China has hosted some of the biggest, greatest and highest civilizations mankind has ever seen. And so did England, Italy, Mexico, Greece, Irak... Each had its golden age... But the fact that  ancient romans did rule the world does not mean I would invest in an Italian spaceship manufacturer. These shoes will likely last forever though.

Try a pair of Italian schoes. Try a pair of sweatshop shoes. Keep them on for 48 hours... And tell.

Yeah, Italy produces tons of crap in nearly any other sector, but they have experienced for centuries in order to design and make shoes that fit perfectly.

I dare anyone to plant some winegrapes by himself and make tasty wine out of it after having read a book.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #253 of 335

Quote:
"Heaven is where the Police are British, the Chefs are French, the Mechanics are German, the Lovers Italian and it's all organised by the Swiss. 

Quote:
I want to know what is wrong with Swiss lovers? Isn't either Inga or Helga Swiss? Don't tell me I have been dreaming of pretty Swiss girls for nothing!
wink.gif

Relax, I can personally grant that the Lovers thing, if true, applies only to Italian men.

That's because warming up the average italian girl is just like trying to freeze a hell. So... Make your choice lightly-hearted.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #254 of 335
Hey guys, to paraphrase Rodney King, can we all just get along?

I state a simple fact: "we are the only major US manufacturer producing at near-Chinese prices" and we're taken as China-bashing? No. Not at all. That's a statement of fact. It's not bashing anyone, Chinese, US, or Martian. 

It's like us saying, "We don't use op-amps, discrete or otherwise, for gain." I've gotten angry emails saying, "What, are you bashing (insert name of company here)? Implying that op-amps are crap? How dare you! OMGWTFBBQ!" Again, no. It's a statement of fact based on what we do. If you don't like it, cool. Move on. Lots of great gear out there (from China and elsewhere.)

As part of our company policy, we do not bash any competitor, publicly or privately, period. We don't comment on competitive products or use hard-sell language to tell people our Y product will sound better than another company's X. Thousands of emails we get have to be answered in the same way: "I'm sorry, but we don't comment on competitive products--that's something we leave for reviewers." 

Hell, we've had people get pissed when we *don't* try to give them the hard sell. "Your attitude is so infuriating I'll never be a customer," was one recent email. It's nuts. 

Bottom line: trust what your ears tell you. 

The one fact about our price points was only meant to be part of a long list of what we've accomplished. Maybe I shouldn't have posted it. But I won't retract it, because it's a fact.And it's really an achievement, especially when "made in USA" to us means "no, really, chassis and transformers and boards and the vast majority of cost in the unit goes to US manufacturers, making things in the US." It's something tons of people said couldn't be done--at all, no way, no how. So we're proud of what we've done. Excuse us if that ruffles some feathers.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #255 of 335

What has quality of volume control got to do with choice of ss or tube? Your response has nothing to do with what I posted and I'm not from China, why are you telling me all this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back