New Audiolab DAC
Mar 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #646 of 878
Anyone here using the S/PDIF out... either Coax or Toslink?

If you are, I have a question or two for you:
Using a bitperfect optical stream from my computer, JRiver (with WASAPI) will switch from 16/44.1 to 24/96 or 24/48, 88, whatever on the fly... depending on the original file.

So... if you are feeding another DAC (or amp, or whatever) from the M-DAC coax or optical out, do you hear a pop or loud clicking as the M-DAC changes from one sampling rate to the other?

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #648 of 878
Press and hold volume knob while powering the unit.
The latest firmware allows renaming of the inputs and blanking off screen after few seconds of operation.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #649 of 878
Quote:
Press and hold volume knob while powering the unit.
The latest firmware allows renaming of the inputs and blanking off screen after few seconds of operation.

Thanks buddy! It looks like I am on V0.99. Those features sound nice but for me are not a big deal. Since everything is running smoothly now, I think I'll pass on updating for now. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #652 of 878
Quote:
Ok thanks. I didn't want to have to dig out a USB cable, but now that you told me, I updated to the latest version. It was easy enough and it didn't seem to break anything. 

Do you think the M-DAC sounds any different with the newer firmware?
Just curious....no judgement!
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #654 of 878
Wondering if anyone is using the Sennheiser HD800 with the M-DAC and how it compares to the other competitors out there. Does the M-DAC and HD800 have a good synergy and I am particularly interested in soundstage and instrument separation. How is the headphone out working out for you? And would adding a tube headphone amplifier make any difference. I have head that M-DAC is one of the best DAC's out since it uses the ESS Sabre chip only found in much higher end audio equipment. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #655 of 878
ah the Mdac is a fine dac...for its price. The Benchmark dac2 also uses the saber but cost twice as much. The chip is important, but the circuitry and analogue stage 
custom made around the chip is way more important. 

Ive had the Mdac for over a year now. I used its Hp out once ... and it was with the HD800...I personally didnt think much of it. I run it with a dedicated amp. much better
power and all the points you mention. 

Do you own the HD800 already? 

BTW re tube amps...are you good with a solder? The bottlehead crack OTL tube amp kit is raved about. Im gona get one at some stage! 

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #656 of 878
Quote:
ah the Mdac is a fine dac...for its price. The Benchmark dac2 also uses the saber but cost twice as much. The chip is important, but the circuitry and analogue stage 
custom made around the chip is way more important. 

Ive had the Mdac for over a year now. I used its Hp out once ... and it was with the HD800...I personally didnt think much of it. I run it with a dedicated amp. much better
power and all the points you mention. 

Do you own the HD800 already? 

BTW re tube amps...are you good with a solder? The bottlehead crack OTL tube amp kit is raved about. Im gona get one at some stage! 

Yeah just bought the HD800 this week. Currently have it connected to the Meier Corda Jazz amp and the source being the M-Dac. Finding the sound a bit fatiguing some times. So looking for an amp to mellow out the sound a bit. Current front runners are the Voilectric V200, Icon Audio HP8, and lastly the Lehmann Black Cube. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #658 of 878
Quote:
Would the M-Dac be someday be able to play DSD files with just a firmware upgrade?

I have no idea , but doubt it. Prob lacks the processing power. The benchmark Dac2 does though. 

Re warmer amps. I find my own SPL auditor v good with HD800s. Jude from Headfi reviewed its brother the Phonitor (which has exact same amp stage as auditor) and said it was one of the 
best SS amps with the HD800. I find it a great amp. It's a studio monitoring amp but is slightly warm. But all the detail is still right there. And its not at all fatiguing. Its compared at times to the
violectric..although I forget how they differ. price is around the same. MAybe the Violectric V181 balanced could be cool? 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YwUOxW19I

As for the Icon Audio, it's OTL tube also, like the bottlehead. Tyll liked it i rememeber: 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #659 of 878
Quote:
I have no idea , but doubt it. Prob lacks the processing power. The benchmark Dac2 does though. 

Re warmer amps. I find my own SPL auditor v good with HD800s. Jude from Headfi reviewed its brother the Phonitor (which has exact same amp stage as auditor) and said it was one of the 
best SS amps with the HD800. I find it a great amp. It's a studio monitoring amp but is slightly warm. But all the detail is still right there. And its not at all fatiguing. Its compared at times to the
violectric..although I forget how they differ. price is around the same. MAybe the Violectric V181 balanced could be cool? 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YwUOxW19I

As for the Icon Audio, it's OTL tube also, like the bottlehead. Tyll liked it i rememeber: 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/icon-audio-hp8-mk2-tube-headphone-amplifier

Looks like the list is growing SPL Auditor, Violectric V200, Icon Audio HP8 MK2, G109-s Lake People,Lehmann BCL(not sure about this pairing with HD800, having heard conflicting opinions). Seems like we are in the same price range around £600-£700 with most of these amps. The main exception being the G109-S which is around £330.  The Phonitor with the crossfeed functionality would just take the HD800 to a whole new level but it comes with a pretty hefty price tag. Anyhow thanks for providing the links. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #660 of 878
Quote:

Definitely!

SQ's are changed from update to update. I prefer version A.10 personally. Another favorite for a lot of people is v.09

Personally I am finding V.09 much to my liking. The soundstage is much more wide as I hear it from my HD800. Before I went back I was on A.10. It was not easy going back to V.09 as I am on a Mac and had to do the whole bootcamp windows thing but it was worth it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back