New Audiolab DAC
May 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #452 of 878
Received mine today - DOA 
frown.gif

Was in touch with John W. on the PinkFish Media forum for some advice but no luck. First time I order something outside the U.S. and this happens.... figures. It will be interesting to find out about any possible repair / RMA / replacement / warranty
mad.gif

May 30, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #453 of 878
Quote:
Received mine today - DOA 
frown.gif

Was in touch with John W. on the PinkFish Media forum for some advice but no luck. First time I order something outside the U.S. and this happens.... figures. It will be interesting to find out about any possible repair / RMA / replacement / warranty
mad.gif

Sorry to hear that. What's it doing? Did you get it from Planet Of Sound?

May 30, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #455 of 878
Yep, Planet of Sound (don't fault them for the hardware issue, will have to see how they'll handle this)

Display shows "No Comms", means the front panel unit cannot communicate with the mainboard, so none of the buttons etc. issue any commands to the mainboard, and vice-versa, the mainboard cannot connect to it for a firmware update etc. (mainboard updates fine, control panel shows v0.0) Not cabling issue either.

Since John Westlake designed the thing, and is often advising people and taking request for firmware improvements (*) I trust him when he says it's something more serious after all the things we tried. And of course, no sound playback via any input (since the control panel and mainboard are dependent on each other)

(*) I don't think any other DAC has as many advanced settings available as this thing... when it works.

May 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #456 of 878
Quote:

(*) I don't think any other DAC has as many advanced settings available as this thing... when it works.

Sorry to hear that, but your retailer should just get you a replacement unit, right?

I sometimes think the MDAC is a little too feature packed for its own good.  More to go wrong.  But then, I really am a grumpy old (ish) man :)

May 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #458 of 878
I also got mine from Planet of Sound and live in the US. Sorry to hear about the problems you are having.
I have heard nothing but good things about Planet of Sound. I know Audiolab products carry a 1-year limited manufacturer's warranty so I hope they can just switch it out for you.

I've read about that 'No Comms' error a few times now.

It really is a solid DAC and once you get a working unit I think you will love it.

May 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #459 of 878
Quote:
Yep, Planet of Sound (don't fault them for the hardware issue, will have to see how they'll handle this)

Display shows "No Comms", means the front panel unit cannot communicate with the mainboard, so none of the buttons etc. issue any commands to the mainboard, and vice-versa, the mainboard cannot connect to it for a firmware update etc. (mainboard updates fine, control panel shows v0.0) Not cabling issue either.

Since John Westlake designed the thing, and is often advising people and taking request for firmware improvements (*) I trust him when he says it's something more serious after all the things we tried. And of course, no sound playback via any input (since the control panel and mainboard are dependent on each other)

Unfortunately the M-DAC's do seem a bit on the temperamental side. A friend/co-worker bought one and had the same "No Comms" issue as you, Planet Of Sound seemed to be great for him to deal with, he ended up getting a refund.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #460 of 878
Hello, everyone! This is my first time writing here in Head-fi, but I follow the forum for some time now. Because of the helpful commentaries and reviews of the good people here I bought the rig I use today. Thank you very much. Now I am thinking in upgrade and the Audiolab M-DAC is in my list. My question is: Can the headphone amp in the M-DAC drive a 600 Ohms headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT880 - 600 or the DT990 - 600? Those are in my list for upgrades too. I would appreciate any comment, help or suggestions. Cheers!

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #461 of 878
Quote:
Hello, everyone! This is my first time writing here in Head-fi, but I follow the forum for some time now. Because of the helpful commentaries and reviews of the good people here I bought the rig I use today. Thank you very much. Now I am thinking in upgrade and the Audiolab M-DAC is in my list. My question is: Can the headphone amp in the M-DAC drive a 600 Ohms headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT880 - 600 or the DT990 - 600? Those are in my list for upgrades too. I would appreciate any comment, help or suggestions. Cheers!

I once owned a M-DAC and used the built in Class A amp to drive an LCD-2, HD600 and HD800 without breaking much sweat, so you should be fine there.

But do remember that it is a manufactured as a DAC with built in headphone amp, so the amp performance might not be as good as a dedicated desktop amp.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #462 of 878
It can drive my T1. But, speaking entirely personally, the sound, though detailed, felt thin and underpowered, and benefits hugely from a separate amp. I decided to use it as a DAC, and invest in an amp.

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #463 of 878
I haven't tried it but I'd be wary of trying to drive 600 ohms. I felt like it was just acceptable with the HD650's when I had a pair here recently, so something even harder to drive might be asking too much or it. Again though, that's just speculation based on what I have tried with it.

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #464 of 878
Quote:
 I felt like it was just acceptable with the HD650's when I had a pair here recently, so something even harder to drive might be asking too much or it. Again though, that's just speculation based on what I have tried with it.

Was that in terms of loudness or in the solidity of the bass? I am thinking of getting one of the current version at a 20% from an online retailer, or wait for the rumoured upgraded version coming out later in the year. The headphone amp performance will be the clincher for me which DAC I pick since my room is too small for decent speakers and amp. Nowhere to put them.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #465 of 878
Quote:
Was that in terms of loudness or in the solidity of the bass? I am thinking of getting one of the current version at a 20% from an online retailer, or wait for the rumoured upgraded version coming out later in the year. The headphone amp performance will be the clincher for me which DAC I pick since my room is too small for decent speakers and amp. Nowhere to put them.

I'm a bit confused by what it is you're thinking of getting at a 20% discount or waiting for a rumored upgraded version?

Loudness with the HD650 was fine, on some more dynamic or lower level recordings the level might have to be pushed fairly high though but I don't think it would ever run out of steam with them at listenable levels. With Sennheiser's like the HD650's (as well as the 600's and 580's) I find they can sound rounded and slow when they're underpowered. The M-DAC did a decent job but I felt the Pioneer SX-650 was just a bit better. The internal amp with the HD650's was certainly not bad, where I'd be more wary is going to an even higher impedance, harder to drive headphone, that might not work out so well.

I've been impressed with the M-DAC's headphone amp. I didn't buy it with the intention of using it much outside of occasional use with IEM's but I find most times I don't even bother turning on either of my vintage receivers both of which I have a fair amount of respect for. I haven't heard everything out there but based on my experience I would say the M-DAC's amp will at least hold it's own in the budget to mid-level dedicated headphone amp category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back