New Audiolab DAC
Feb 18, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #286 of 878
This Unit looks really interesting. Does anyone know how it compares to any of these DAC's??
Yulong D18, Ref 7.1, NFB10SE, Antelope Zodiac+

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #287 of 878
Current setup: Macbook FLACs by toslink -> DACmagic -> SPL Auditor -> HD 650 

Q: would replacing the Dacmagic with the M-DAC make a big different sonically? What things could one expect? 
     I am growing more aware of my current setups inability to render vibrant upper freqs well...like high noted piano. 
     the sound washes out a bit. looses its crispness. Any idea what link in my setup chain could be causing this? 

Cheers! 

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #288 of 878

Quote:

Q: would replacing the Dacmagic with the M-DAC make a big different sonically? What things could one expect? 
     I am growing more aware of my current setups inability to render vibrant upper freqs well...like high noted piano. 
     the sound washes out a bit. looses its crispness. Any idea what link in my setup chain could be causing this? 

Cheers! 

I would say the DAC magic for sure. I haven't heard the mdac yet but I have used the ESS9018 and crisp high notes are definitely one if it's strengths. Conversely the wolfson 8740 is less refined. I found the Dac magic to be a little loose in its presentation - quite the opposite of the Sabre.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #290 of 878
   Quote:

Cheers!

Quote:
I would say the DAC magic for sure. I haven't heard the mdac yet but I have used the ESS9018 and crisp high notes are definitely one if it's strengths. Conversely the wolfson 8740 is less refined. I found the Dac magic to be a little loose in its presentation - quite the opposite of the Sabre.

It could also be the headphones, try a different pair if you can as the highs are definitely the 650's weak spot.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #292 of 878
The HD 600 is more transparent than the 650, that's one example. The bass is still pretty good and the highs aren't as rolled off.

edit: Another example could be the HiFiMAN HE-500 but it's a different price category. Perhaps the HE-300/400.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #293 of 878
How does the integrated headphone amp drive Sennheiser HD650s?
I have ordered the M-Dac and am thinking of upgrading from HD598 to HD650.
Since the HD598 are fairly easy to drive, I don't think that would be any problem.
But has anybody had the pleasure of listening on the M-Dac with the HD650s?

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #294 of 878

Quote:
any particular phones in mind? sameish sound character as 650 but better highs...sorry im a noob

Hmmmmm, have you tried the Beyer DT880, they have more treble than the HD650 but I would not call them bright. Neutral is the word I use.
Just my opinion, but I think the HD650 are rather recessed in the treble.
When I bought them I auditioned them via an Audiolab 8000CDQ, I thought this was a very well balanced combination.

Really this is nothing more than my opinion, ya gotta try 'er out yerself!
Cheers!

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #295 of 878
You might want to try HD600 with the foam taken away (so call defoam), it lift the vail. I guess similarly with the HD650.

Quote:
The HD 600 is more transparent than the 650, that's one example. The bass is still pretty good and the highs aren't as rolled off.

edit: Another example could be the HiFiMAN HE-500 but it's a different price category. Perhaps the HE-300/400.

Quote:
any particular phones in mind? sameish sound character as 650 but better highs...sorry im a noob

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #296 of 878

Quote:
This Unit looks really interesting. Does anyone know how it compares to any of these DAC's??
Yulong D18, Ref 7.1, NFB10SE, Antelope Zodiac+

Hey there. I did try the Zodiac+ and posted my opinions (With my terrible terminology and all) on another thread. Is it better? Yes and in pretty much every way but the differences are so minute it is not worth x3 the asking price or even x2 the asking price IMO. There are other little things that also put me off such as the lack of a remote, damn white light always flashing whenever the music is paused, joke of a PSU and the fact that it uses a mini usb connection. These are not things that will bother other people but they just made me realise how much of a bargain the m-dac is. The m-dac will also be upgradable in the near future so that's smthg to keep in mind.

Kinda interested in D18 comparisons too as they are both sabre dacs if I'm correct.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #297 of 878

Quote:

Cheers! 

Well I'd think your phones would be the problem in that case but the dacmagic needs to go if you can afford the upgrade. During a demo I was blown away by the m-dac and bought it on the spot. It is a night and day difference and probably the best money I have ever spent. 

I've read that the optical out on the mbp isn't super awesome and usb is the way to go. That's what I use and it does sound better but I dunno if this is to do with the actual cable or the dac's inputs. Either way this is icing more than anything and should be the last thing on your to do list. Btw 24/192 is only supported through coaxial otherwise 24/96 will have to do.

Quote:
How does the integrated headphone amp drive Sennheiser HD650s?
I have ordered the M-Dac and am thinking of upgrading from HD598 to HD650.
Since the HD598 are fairly easy to drive, I don't think that would be any problem.
But has anybody had the pleasure of listening on the M-Dac with the HD650s?

IMO they drive the 650s pretty well. I was using a GS solo SRGII and while it was better it wasn't worth keeping the amp. That's just my opinion and somebody else may say I have cloth ears but whatever.

Before somebody asks the built in amp isn't great with the hd800 and lcd-2. It is totally acceptable and it's what I'm using right now but you can get better sound. Of course the upgrade will be costly and it's up to the individual to decide whether that cost justifies the performance.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #298 of 878

Quote:
any photo to share ? another questions , M-DAC remote have control iTunes track forward . Pause ...etc only when preamp is turn off ?am i right ?and displaying track information is only available when connected to Cd player or transport ?
I have tried connected with MacBook iTunes with usb , nothing shown ,
I have also tried connect with cambridge audio Id 100 to iPod , nothing shown too ,
Can someone also explained to me on D3E ?
It seems it always shown on oled diaplay but i dont know what it does . Can it be switch off ?
Thanks
Raymond

D3E is off by default I think (Full supression) but it will still show on the bottom right. Check your manual if you want to make sure it's off by going into the menu. Dunno why this is the case and is kinda weird design.

Remote works only through USB and it doesn't matter if preamp is on or off. Dunno about track info as it doesn't show that on mine either but remote works 100%. Do you use some sort of audio player? With itunes and audirvana the remote works flawlessly for me. Sometimes you have to select the audio device in the player's settings or in system preferences as it doesn't always auto select in my experience. As somebody said before try pinkfish forum if you haven't already done so.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #299 of 878
@Sleepaphobic 

Hey thanks for all the advice and info. I am still a student so ill be putting off an upgrade until ive a salary. But still very interested in all the variables of 
a good system. Ive only ever owned sennheiser higher end cans...the 595s then the 650s. I may consider the 700s next year going by their wider dynamic
range listed on the site...44k over 39k of the 650s it was spec'd. but ill be reading alot between now and then, get a test in also for sure!

Are hifiman a reputable company? They are Chinese no? I tend to like to buy european made stuff if i go high end. for a few reasons. Something with a wide
soundstage is a must in the longer term though as i like piano music. i read their 500 series goes to 50k like the hd800s...but for half the price! 

Also, how do you rate audirvana? I couldn't tune out a blip between track changes. Which Vox (player for the mac) does seamlessly. 

Thanks for the tip on the dacmagic and mbp usb vs optical. I could tell for sure that via usb the filters on the dacmagic were faaar more defined. 

About inputs also, money no object is a usb to coaxial converter to a DAC the ideal option for quality? Given that i exclusively rip cds to FLAC limited
to 44k ... coaxial prob isnt gona be needed. 

Cheers! 

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #300 of 878

Quote:
Anyone compared the MDAC to the Rega DAC. I am currently using the Rega DAC and I love it! But, I need a new Headphone amp to drive a set of K701/HD 650.

The main reason for being interested in the Audiolab is the Headphone amp. If the DAC is at the level as the Rega and the headphone amp is able to drive a set of AKG 701 or HD 650, then I might be willing to try it.

Comments anyone?

I had the rega, auditioned the m-dac, bought m-dac and then sold the rega. Rega is no slouch though but IMO the m-dac has it beat. Some say the rega is warm and more musical but I didn't really find this to be the case. It sounded warmer than the m-dac in comparison but it's not really warm if you know what I mean.

xlr out, pre-amp, hp amp, remote as well as more inputs makes me believe that for £100 more it's a no brainer. Drives 650 OK too. You should defo try to demo one and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back