New Audiolab DAC
Jun 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #856 of 878

Yup... so under-praised, it's kind of odd.

Very odd, indeed...taking into account  that M-DAC is a great-sounding DAC with discrete Class A headamp in one nice package at very nice price.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #857 of 878
Does the HE-500 pair well with the M-Dac or would you recommend an amp as well?

The M-DAC alone is a bit underpowered for the HE-500, though I didn't try driving them using the XLR outputs. The built-in amp is rather good, slightly below the Lehmann Black Cube Linear in performance. If you power the M-DAC with a high powered headphone amp it should let the HE-500 shine a bit more. I found the M-DAC a bit too aggressive sounding and lacking in bass, but that was more than a year ago when I sold my M-DAC so my memory might be out of tune.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #858 of 878
Hey guys

if MDAC, Wadia 121, Teac UD-501, YULONG D200(DA8), mytek stereo192 and Audio-GD NFB1 are the same price, which one(or two) would you choose for 80% USB 44/16 and 20% new experience in hi res audio?

Only the USB sound quality have matters. I love old(jazz rock) LP and CD records before loudness.

Other equipment that I use at the moment Beta22, HE500,HD600, AKG701

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #859 of 878

... which one(or two) would you choose for 80% USB 44/16 and 20% new experience in hi res audio?

Only the USB sound quality have matters. I love old(jazz rock) LP and CD records before loudness.

I like M-DAC digital filters, use 3 of them quite frequently to slightly alter sonic signature, when I wish. Kind of "3 DACs in one".
It also handles Hi-Res up to 24/96 via USB flawlessly. 

BTW, regarding Hi-Res Audio bandwagon - to my ears it's mostly marketing bluff.
I do hear differences (using ABX plugin in foobar2k) between different masters of same 16/44 album (MasterSound or MFSL releases vs 'regular' ones, for example).
Although there is no audible difference to my ears to Hi-Res vs 16/44, there are cases, when better quality master can be found only in Hi-Res format nowadays - in that case, don't bother above 24/96, it's just a waste of HDD space.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #860 of 878
  I recently picked up the M-DAC and am using it to feed my Bryston BHA-1. I noticed that the M-DAC could be used as a "stand-alone DAC" by setting the "Internal Preamplifier" in the options to "Disabled". Once in this mode, volume and balance functions are disabled and obviously, because the volume control is disabled, the decibel (volume) indicator disappears from the LCD screen. I was just wondering if this is how M-DAC owners who are using it strictly as a DAC to feed a headphone amplifier have their options set as.
I've looked at some of the pictures from this thread and I was seeing the decibel indicator on their M-DAC even though it was connected to an amp so I was a little confused as to why they chose not to set the M-DAC on "Fixed Volume" mode.

Hi all,

I've had my M-DAC for just over two years and still love the sound it produces.  I do however want to see if the sound can be improved a little for my HD800/Alpha Prime cans by adding an amplifier.  I've actually ordered two this weekend (Burson Soloist SL and Icon Audio HP8 MKII upgraded) both of which are single ended and do not have a remote.  For that reason I would ideally like to retain use of the M-DAC remote control although I'm concerned that the sound would be negatively affected if I don't "set a fixed output level" (as described by Namkung above).

Any thoughts?  I presume I can't harm the amps or my beloved M-DAC either way??

Sorry for the very "newb" question 
tongue_smile.gif

Craig

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #861 of 878
Hi all,

I've had my M-DAC for just over two years and still love the sound it produces.  I do however want to see if the sound can be improved a little for my HD800/Alpha Prime cans by adding an amplifier.  I've actually ordered two this weekend (Burson Soloist SL and Icon Audio HP8 MKII upgraded) both of which are single ended and do not have a remote.  For that reason I would ideally like to retain use of the M-DAC remote control although I'm concerned that the sound would be negatively affected if I don't "set a fixed output level" (as described by Namkung above).

Any thoughts?  I presume I can't harm the amps or my beloved M-DAC either way??

Sorry for the very "newb" question :tongue_smile:

Craig

No SQ deterioration at all. I do that all the time to make use of the remote control in my Audiolab 8200CD. When you set the Audiolab to adjustable output Vrms to make use of the RC, just set your amp's volume pot to maximum and make it just like a power amp. Only cons in this is you maximize noise floor on the amp due to maxed out volume pot.

As I understand it, the adjustable output Vrms doesn't work like the usual digital volume control. So no bits are lost.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #862 of 878
No SQ deterioration at all. I do that all the time to make use of the remote control in my Audiolab 8200CD. When you set the Audiolab to adjustable output Vrms to make use of the RC, just set your amp's volume pot to maximum and make it just like a power amp. Only cons in this is you maximize noise floor on the amp due to maxed out volume pot.

As I understand it, the adjustable output Vrms doesn't work like the usual digital volume control. So no bits are lost.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  It shocked me slightly ...

Having been brought up to always ensure that audio sources earlier in the audio chain are at their strongest signal this concept seemed very strange to me.  If the second amp in the line is amplifying a "weak" signal as loud as it possibly can wouldn't this produce poor sound quality or at least negatively affect the sound by some margin?

After a little more reading around pre-amps/power-amps tonight I totally see the point you are making but doesn't the presence of two pre-amps (one in the M-DAC and the other in the headphone amplifier) create my perceived problem?  Particularly as the second pre-amp is set to max gain.

Once I receive one of the amps (hopefully this week) I will certainly test this myself anyway and I really hope you're right and I can't hear the difference 
normal_smile .gif
.  I would be delighted if I could use the remote on the DAC as I can't quite reach the amp from my chill out recliner! 
wink.gif

I've obviously got a lot to learn about amplification and how it all works.

Thanks again for the reply.

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #863 of 878
Thanks for taking the time to reply.  It shocked me slightly ...

Having been brought up to always ensure that audio sources earlier in the audio chain are at their strongest signal this concept seemed very strange to me.  If the second amp in the line is amplifying a "weak" signal as loud as it possibly can wouldn't this produce poor sound quality or at least negatively affect the sound by some margin?

After a little more reading around pre-amps/power-amps tonight I totally see the point you are making but doesn't the presence of two pre-amps (one in the M-DAC and the other in the headphone amplifier) create my perceived problem?  Particularly as the second pre-amp is set to max gain.

Once I receive one of the amps (hopefully this week) I will certainly test this myself anyway and I really hope you're right and I can't hear the difference 
normal_smile%20.gif
.  I would be delighted if I could use the remote on the DAC as I can't quite reach the amp from my chill out recliner! :wink:

I've obviously got a lot to learn about amplification and how it all works.

Thanks again for the reply.

I meant no SQ deterioration vs. setting the Audiolab at fixed output and using the SAME amp's volume pot. Just to be clear.

I'm exactly like in your situation...don't want to be fixed right in front/near my amp. I want to be in my Lazy-Boy just chilling and use the RC.

The Audiolab DAC is designed not to deteriorate in SQ even if you use it as preamp and output less than 0 dB.. Other DACs or digital sources lose bits when you don't max out their volume pots or gain. The Audiolab doesn't. It has a different design that the designer created to specifically address the "lost bits" issue. That's why it has the pre-amp mode in all its models as it was designed to be exactly like a pre-amp aside from being a DAC. It's quite a design.

But again, you max out the noise floor of you max out the amp volume pot. So get a really transparent amp, and with just unity gain if possible.

As I understand it anyway. You can check the pinkfishmedia forum re this. The designer posts there himself as well as his colleagues directly involved in designing the DAC.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #864 of 878

I perceived deterioration when the attenuation value exceeded -40db. This was during a trial for the audio lab power amp designed to be used in this way. The dealer was not able to confirm the manufacturers position when I returned the power amp.

Best

James

May 13, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #865 of 878
Just received my M-DAC.

Only been using it for the past 30 minutes or so, but I'm quite impressed.

Wonderful sounding device so far. I'm not sure how many people realise this, but the amp stage is actually incredibly good. Currently listening to LCD-2F's and they are being driven beautifully.

EDIT: Just quickly A/B'd the HD800's between the M-DAC headphone amp and the M-Stage headphone amp and I feel like the M-DAC sounds better. Very, very impressed.

May 13, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #866 of 878
Good choice
wink_face.gif

And welcome.

May 14, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #867 of 878
  Good choice
wink_face.gif

And welcome.

This thing is criminally under-appreciated around Head-Fi.

I might end up doing an in-depth comparison between all of my equipment once the Geek Pulse arrives. 

May 14, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #868 of 878

I might end up doing an in-depth comparison between all of my equipment once the Geek Pulse arrives. 

I couldn't agree more. It's an excellent DAC.

I look forward to your review.

May 14, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #869 of 878

Yes. +1.

Try the Optimal Transient XD and DD. LCD-2F would elicit more mid-bass in XD, more sub-bass in DD (vs plain Optimal Transient). And it has the Mininum Phase filter too. It's like rolling tubes or having as many DAC units.

There are some expert reviewers here saying Sabre DAC chips sucks because they're digitally glary...obviously they haven't heard the Audiolab.

May 14, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #870 of 878
Just received my M-DAC.

Only been using it for the past 30 minutes or so, but I'm quite impressed.

Wonderful sounding device so far. I'm not sure how many people realise this, but the amp stage is actually incredibly good. Currently listening to LCD-2F's and they are being driven beautifully.

EDIT: Just quickly A/B'd the HD800's between the M-DAC headphone amp and the M-Stage headphone amp and I feel like the M-DAC sounds better. Very, very impressed.
Planars like LCD-2F don't get affected much by high output impedance on HP out jack like the Audiolabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back