New Audiolab DAC
Jun 8, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #691 of 878
I am running my HD800 from the M-Dac headphone out and it sounds great. Did some critical listening and decided to sell the Meier corda jazz as I felt that the M-Dac sounded better. Rightnow I am very confused as I don't really don't want to buy an external amp that provides only a marginal improvement. Also I don't have the budget to spend another $1000 on an amp. I have heard somewhere that M-Dac hp out sounds similar to Lehmann Black cube and voilelectric v200 if that is really the case then I am sticking with the M-Dac. Maybe some who has tried different combinations with M-Dac can elaborate. Thanks

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #692 of 878
I only speak for myself but i found a hd800 from Mdac hp out was dry sounding and too upfront, as well as sounding harsh/distorted at high vols. 
Running it via SPL Auditor amp I found the hd800 was much nicer, smoother at high vol and just more engaging (hah the ultimate subjective
descriptor!) 

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #693 of 878
Quote:
I only speak for myself but i found a hd800 from Mdac hp out was dry sounding and too upfront, as well as sounding harsh/distorted at high vols. 
Running it via SPL Auditor amp I found the hd800 was much nicer, smoother at high vol and just more engaging (hah the ultimate subjective
descriptor!) 

I have not found the sound to distort at high volumes with the HD800. But yes I find the sound is forward like you would be sitting in the first row of seats at a concert. Also the soundstage is not all that great. But the positives are that its a fuller sound with good instrument separation. The price for the SPL auditor is great and it looks like a solid bit of kit. But I wonder at that price range is it going to really make a huge difference. I am looking for more details, richer sound and more of a holographic sound if that makes any sense.   

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #695 of 878
The HD800 will sound forward in the midrange if the headamp has insufficient current drive. Those 55mm drivers in the HD800 need that higher current so that they can displace air.
I had to knock up my own headamp just so that I could use my HD800.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #698 of 878
SPL auditor is on top of my list as soon as I get rid of this Meier Corda Jazz. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #699 of 878
I may sell it to you if I get a job soon as I want to buy an lcd 2 for my glacier (killer combo). Im moving away to a more portable setup for the coming years. 
Also im prefering speeding up 'slow' headphones rather than softening bright ones. Just to do with the music I listen to. The Hd800s did nothing for 
it, except v good classical which, for now, Im still not totally committed to. 

August or so could work for me. Depending. Cost me 1000 bucks new from Thomann.de and would have (if bought in august) over a year warranty
with them left on it. (bought Oct 2011 + 3yr warranty)

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #700 of 878
Can someone explain to me how the headphone out from the M-Dac compares to other headphone amplifiers out there. Personally I feel its not that great. Yes it can drive your T1's and HD800's but its not refined. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #701 of 878
Quote:
Can someone explain to me how the headphone out from the M-Dac compares to other headphone amplifiers out there. Personally I feel its not that great. Yes it can drive your T1's and HD800's but its not refined. 

I paired it recently with a Woo Audio 6 SE and it's no comparison even with my HD 600. It transforms the headphones. The soundstage and layering is so much better on a dedicated amp. with the M-DAC everything is very shut in. The phones now have a kick as well that the inbuilt amp cannot provide.

I only use the M-Dac as a reference when comparing different amps and tubes now.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #702 of 878
Quote:

Not refined? I disagree. In Terms of SQ the M-DAC can definitely hold it's own. It is very formidable with amps more expensive than itself if you ask me.

Only problem is that I would not match any hard to drive headphones with it. HD800 is one of those headphones. The T1 is okay but not great with the M-DAC.
My RS1i's sound absolutely amazing on the M-DAC. I find myself preferring the SQ to my V200 and WA6 which I recently sold.

Bottom line in my opinion is that it is an excellent for low to medium impedance headphones.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #704 of 878
Not refined? I disagree. In Terms of SQ the M-DAC can definitely hold it's own. It is very formidable with amps more expensive than itself if you ask me.

Only problem is that I would not match any hard to drive headphones with it. HD800 is one of those headphones. The T1 is okay but not great with the M-DAC.
My RS1i's sound absolutely amazing on the M-DAC. I find myself preferring the SQ to my V200 and WA6 which I recently sold.

Bottom line in my opinion is that it is an excellent for low to medium impedance headphones.

Interesting I never considered that. Thanks for your input. Personally I find that with M-DAC the HD800 sound too forward. It's like being in the middle of the musicians. On the other hand my Meier Jazz puts me maybe like in the second row which is more enjoyable. I think the M-DAC has a nice headphone amplifier in terms of instrument separation and detail but it really lack in soundstage. I also have found it to be sometimes a bit flat in the upper frequencies.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #705 of 878
Quote:
anyone use lcd2 with mdac? 

I have and it's not the best match, much like the T1. It's not terrible by any means but you will get better performance from a amp with a bit more authority.

It sounds better with my V200 and Meier Corda Prehead mk.1 and not by a huge amount I might add.

EDIT: I'm listening now to my LCD2's on the M-DAC and it sounds really good actually.
L3000.gif

Only thing is the volume is at -5dB to get a "loudish" acceptable level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back