New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced
Nov 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #106 of 259
The eBay prices are all from people trying to make a lot of $$ on them from people who can't get them in Japan. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #107 of 259
  It's $660 in Japan.

More like $560 !

I'm really interested by Audio-Technica headphones, even if I never heard any of them.

I'm hesitating between this one and the ATH-AD2000X.
They are about the same price.

I wonder if my Aune X1 MK2 can exploit them.

This is for my first high end headphone (I only got a K272...).

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #108 of 259
 The eBay prices are all from people trying to make a lot of $$ on them from people who can't get them in Japan. 

Getting things from Japan isn't easy.

2000 USD for a W2002 in Yahoo Auctions right now. Wow... hype.
And Kuboten will charge 10% to buy it for you.
redface.gif

There's also also a W11jpn and W10VTG on there atm.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #112 of 259
I had them on briefly at headphones shop in Tokyo yesterday. Used my Sony A17 and cycled through a few of my go-to tracks. The treble stuck out a bit and seemed a little peaky for my liking. Everything else sounded nice, reasonably balanced. For such a short listening period, there probably isn't too much value there.

However, I was mostly curious about the fit when I tried them on. Some AT cans I have owned (W1000, W11jpn, L3000) were amazingly comfortable, like my ears were sitting in a well-worn leather La-Z-Boy. Others (W5000, AD2000, many other newer models) were awkward fitting. These new ones are definitely in the latter category... in a new way though. While I did not feel an overall strong grip, the strongest pressure point was on the lowest part of the cups, kind of like a pair of pincers. It is not too strong, but with very little pressure elsewhere, it just felt strange to have the main pressure point so low, rather than a uniform pressure from all the way around the pads. I shifted them around but could not really get them in a satisfactory position. Awkward is really the best word for it.

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #115 of 259
I don't have any other woodies on hand. I had to bend the headband a bit to get something close to a proper seal. I could swear AT headbands are designed for people with watermelon-sized heads. I now have them sitting with fairly even pressure top and bottom, though the pressure is a touch too light for preference. I say this so that other people giving impressions can compare their seal, as a tighter seal will result in more bass and a lowered treble in my experience.

Anyhow, same as my feeling when I auditioned it in Tokyo, the W1000Zs are pretty good sonically for me. Out of the Hugo they are open and spacious sound, maybe with a bit of brightness/bite in the treble. Drums don't have as much impact as I'd ideally like, but there is a very good sense of instrument position, so that marks them as more "monitor" in presentation -- maybe more like a closed pair of AD2000Xs. Imagine a more forward-sounding pair of HD-800s in a sense.  My impressions are from using them from the Hugo, but I've also plugged them into the Bakoon HP-01's current output as that tends to make some headphones sound a bit bassier, basically those with an increase in impedance in the bass region.

Unboxing:

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #117 of 259
  I don't have any other woodies on hand. I had to bend the headband a bit to get something close to a proper seal. I could swear AT headbands are designed for people with watermelon-sized heads. I now have them sitting with fairly even pressure top and bottom, though the pressure is a touch too light for preference. I say this so that other people giving impressions can compare their seal, as a tighter seal will result in more bass and a lowered treble in my experience.

Anyhow, same as my feeling when I auditioned it in Tokyo, the W1000Zs are pretty good sonically for me. Out of the Hugo they are open and spacious sound, maybe with a bit of brightness/bite in the treble. Drums don't have as much impact as I'd ideally like, but there is a very good sense of instrument position, so that marks them as more "monitor" in presentation -- maybe more like a closed pair of AD2000Xs. Imagine a more forward-sounding pair of HD-800s in a sense.  My impressions are from using them from the Hugo, but I've also plugged them into the Bakoon HP-01's current output as that tends to make some headphones sound a bit bassier, basically those with an increase in impedance in the bass region.

Unboxing:

muhahaha, sounds like these are indeed shaping up to be a nice slice of compeition for the MDR Z7, I wonder how they compare to my poor little Franken W1000X, it's nice to hear they still have some bite in the treble, 

I'll have to grab a pair of these in the spring 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #119 of 259
I dont think the new 1000Z will have a significant improvement over the 1000X. It would just a new can with different wood with improvement on the pads. I just ordered a pair of W3000ANV pads for my 1000X. I think it will do a similar job.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #120 of 259
Ok, I had more of a listen and did some comparisons. These are brighter overall than my HD-800s. So we're talking more along the lines of the W3000ANVs in terms of sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back