New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced
Nov 7, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #91 of 259
  Hopefully the W1000z doesn't sound that similar to the W1000x that are bright, thin and with recessed mids.

What? well yea if you don't get a seal on the W1000X you get that sound

How ever the W1000x has Forward Mids [VERY forward and full bodied mids] though it's still bright

but yea the Pads on the W1000Z should prevent a thin sound as a result of "bad fitting ePads" 

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #93 of 259
  THe W1000x is thin, bright with recess mids in comparison to the other W series woodies.  Even if you change pads or adjust them, it's the same thing.  It's still thinner and brighter than the rest of the W series.

"thinner" and "brighter" in referances to the rest of the W series you say... dang it... I like thin n Bright <.< 

well in that case I have no idea what to tell you, heck I used to use my W1000X with my HM 801... then one day I felt like the HM801 made my W1000X [which was modded a little dynamat to make it even thinner] and it just felt... boomy and... syrupy with the HM 801 :O

So, I have no idea what you will think of it. Word is the New W1000z is more balanced than the MDR Z7, so you might be in for another Thin n Bright W1000 [x] series headphone 

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #95 of 259
I can't imagine an AT with recessed mids. If anything, they always have very forward mids. The seal is very important though, that's for sure. I have to change the arc of the headband to get a consistent seal. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #96 of 259
x2 - every a-t can i've heard has forward mids. that's what they're known for right?

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #98 of 259
I can't imagine an AT with recessed mids. If anything, they always have very forward mids. The seal is very important though, that's for sure. I have to change the arc of the headband to get a consistent seal. 

Seal is important especially with the newer fitting design that AT had came up with . I had to push the joint area above the earcups to get a good seal. It allows for better bass impact and a more complete sound. I have no idea why AT would change how the newer W series would fit. I mean I have a fairly big head and the older woodies fit perfectly.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #99 of 259
The W1000X is my favorite headphone.  I am very interested in these.

Has anyone heard it?  Any comparison with the other W's?

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #100 of 259
  I kind of see where @tamahome77 is coming from when he describes the W1000X's sound. IMO it does have a slightly more 'distant' soundstage to it which is immediately apparent when compared to the W5000 and the HD650.

I've got an HD 600 with me now and they are a little more than forward in their mids q.q 

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #101 of 259

Seal is important especially with the newer fitting design that AT had came up with . I had to push the joint area above the earcups to get a good seal. It allows for better bass impact and a more complete sound. I have no idea why AT would change how the newer W series would fit. I mean I have a fairly big head and the older woodies fit perfectly.

Yes, that is exactly what I have to do too. It's a PITA. I have to re-shape the arcs to something more along the shape of what the Sony Z7s arc looks like to get a good seal, but even with the older woodies to some degree.

About the W1000X, I think I know what you mean now that Mshenay posted: The bass wasn't as strong, from memory. I do recall using AT's matching amp and there being a lot more bass with it though, but this was years ago now.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #102 of 259

Yes, that is exactly what I have to do too. It's a PITA. I have to re-shape the arcs to something more along the shape of what the Sony Z7s arc looks like to get a good seal, but even with the older woodies to some degree.

About the W1000X, I think I know what you mean now that Mshenay posted: The bass wasn't as strong, from memory. I do recall using AT's matching amp and there being a lot more bass with it though, but this was years ago now.

Well the W1000X has a strong Mid Bass Hump, but no sub bass it rolls off very sharply which means some genres it's amazing, others not so much 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back