New Audio Technica Woodies: ATH-W1000Z announced
Nov 27, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #122 of 259
  I dont think the new 1000Z will have a significant improvement over the 1000X. It would just a new can with different wood with improvement on the pads. I just ordered a pair of W3000ANV pads for my 1000X. I think it will do a similar job.

Perhaps not a definite improvement but certainly a different sound. Indeed, apart from them being all mid-centric cans, I've yet two hear two ATW's models that sound alike.

Ok, I had more of a listen and did some comparisons. These are brighter overall than my HD-800s. So we're talking more along the lines of the W3000ANVs in terms of sound. 

So pretty much a complete derparture from the old W1000X ? MMMh, colour me interested !

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #123 of 259
  I don't have any other woodies on hand. I had to bend the headband a bit to get something close to a proper seal. I could swear AT headbands are designed for people with watermelon-sized heads. I now have them sitting with fairly even pressure top and bottom, though the pressure is a touch too light for preference. I say this so that other people giving impressions can compare their seal, as a tighter seal will result in more bass and a lowered treble in my experience.

Anyhow, same as my feeling when I auditioned it in Tokyo, the W1000Zs are pretty good sonically for me. Out of the Hugo they are open and spacious sound, maybe with a bit of brightness/bite in the treble. Drums don't have as much impact as I'd ideally like, but there is a very good sense of instrument position, so that marks them as more "monitor" in presentation -- maybe more like a closed pair of AD2000Xs. Imagine a more forward-sounding pair of HD-800s in a sense.  My impressions are from using them from the Hugo, but I've also plugged them into the Bakoon HP-01's current output as that tends to make some headphones sound a bit bassier, basically those with an increase in impedance in the bass region.

Unboxing:

If you are free, best thing you can do is compare it to your new z7's.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #124 of 259
It's interesting Currawong find these to be tuned more toward the w3000anv which is a good thing IMO. The only thing I'm a bit curious about is the fact he finds the w3000anv to be brighter than the hd800s. I find the hd800 to be much brighter than the w3000anv. But I guess it could still be a fit thing. I did find the w3000anv to be a little bright and bass lite when I first got them. Bending them slightly did give me a nice snug fit and a really good seal. Now I don't find them bright at all and have just slightly less bass than the th900. But if these do indeed sound a lot like the w3000anv, then I'm very interested given the price.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #125 of 259

Will post my review soon, within a few weeks.
IMHO it is not a complete departure from W1000X, but an improved version of the Grandioso. Maestoso definitely has better bass than Grandioso, and to my ears, Maestoso sounds more balanced, while still carries Audio-Technica house sound, the clarity and slightly emphasized upper mid. Very nice spacious sounding from a closed cans.
I used it in my recent review of AT-HA5050H, will write another review for it.

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #126 of 259
i have this pair of cans in my sights as an upgrade from M50x, looking forward to your reviews!

Jan 28, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #127 of 259
In Asian fora it is stated that W1000Z is an improvement over W1000X and not a departure from W1000X sound signature. It is also stated that W1000Z need to be paired with either tube / valve amplifier or at least with hybrid [ tube / valve + solid state ] amplifier. W1000Z has, reportedly, a full and energetic treble and a bit improved bass which is tighter. Tubes are needed to flesh out middle frequencies in relation to good bass and treble [ the tubes / valves give extra harmonic overtones]. When done so then W1000Z sound very good, balanced, engaging and with good dynamics.
These headphones are a good fit especially for the middle aged and older head-fi members. As men age they lose the ability to hear higher frequencies. Headphones that have full and extended treble help to make music sound right for them.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #128 of 259
  i have this pair of cans in my sights as an upgrade from M50x, looking forward to your reviews!

Quote:
  In Asian fora it is stated that W1000Z is an improvement over W1000X and not a departure from W1000X sound signature.

+1
That's true!
Will post my review this weekend.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #129 of 259
Jan 30, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #130 of 259
In Asian fora it is stated that W1000Z is an improvement over W1000X and not a departure from W1000X sound signature. It is also stated that W1000Z need to be paired with either tube / valve amplifier or at least with hybrid [ tube / valve + solid state ] amplifier. W1000Z has, reportedly, a full and energetic treble and a bit improved bass which is tighter. Tubes are needed to flesh out middle frequencies in relation to good bass and treble [ the tubes / valves give extra harmonic overtones]. When done so then W1000Z sound very good, balanced, engaging and with good dynamics.
These headphones are a good fit especially for the middle aged and older head-fi members. As men age they lose the ability to hear higher frequencies. Headphones that have full and extended treble help to make music sound right for them.

Hmm I only have the ifi micro idsd right now as a DAC and amp though I hope to add on a tube amp or the ha2022 hybrid at some later stage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #131 of 259
Looking forward to it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hmm I only have the ifi micro idsd right now as a DAC and amp though I hope to add on a tube amp or the ha2022 hybrid at some later stage.

Posted my review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-w1000z/reviews/12506

ifi stacks:
ifi micro iDSD >> ifi micro iTube >> ifi micro iCan >> Maestoso
Sound wonderful on Maestoso, highly recommended!

Feb 2, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #132 of 259
Posted my review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-ath-w1000z/reviews/12506

ifi stacks:
[COLOR=383838]ifi micro iDSD >> ifi micro iTube >> ifi micro iCan >> Maestoso[/COLOR]
[COLOR=383838]Sound wonderful on Maestoso, highly recommended![/COLOR]

Thanks for your review! I like that you actually discuss amp pairings as well because that's pretty important given I only have the ifi micro idsd as an dac and amp currently. Would you think either the SHURE 1540 or SONY MDR Z7 would be better fit for my set up since those are warmer headphones compared to the w1000z? I'm also considering to bring the headphones around and I wouldn't think I would ever bring the w1000z out of my house. These considerations are for an upgrade to the m50x which I use at home and out about on trains/buses/walking outside

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #133 of 259
Thanks for your review! I like that you actually discuss amp pairings as well because that's pretty important given I only have the ifi micro idsd as an dac and amp currently. Would you think either the SHURE 1540 or SONY MDR Z7 would be better fit for my set up since those are warmer headphones compared to the w1000z? I'm also considering to bring the headphones around and I wouldn't think I would ever bring the w1000z out of my house. These considerations are for an upgrade to the m50x which I use at home and out about on trains/buses/walking outside

I don't think Maestoso is appropriate for outdoor use. The headband clamping force is rather light for maximum comfort, the headphone might drop when our head move to fast.

If you like warm sounding outdoor headphoness, Sony or Sennheiser probably the better choice. But might not be consider upgrade to your M50x. Z7 is too warm for my taste. Actually I prefer the ATH-M50LE for natural warm signature.

Feb 2, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #134 of 259

If you like the Audio Technica sound, try the EW9.  Or the EW9LTD.  I haven't heard the LTD yet, but the original EW9 is great.  A really tubey sound.  And you will look classy walking around with them.

Feb 2, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #135 of 259

If you like the Audio Technica sound, try the EW9.  Or the EW9LTD.  I haven't heard the LTD yet, but the original EW9 is great.  A really tubey sound.  And you will look classy walking around with them.

+1
Right. I forgot that models. Thanks!
Both sound great if you like warm signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back