New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Dec 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #106 of 215
  A used pair a few weeks ago? They were only released three and a half weeks ago….?

Few meaning two weeks ago. It was sold on Head-Fi -- probably just someone who just didn't think it was right.

It's a pretty great headphone -- I'm likely going to keep it. I've been pretty out of the headphone game though, so I don't have any great comparisons. It does have that great AT house sound though.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #107 of 215
^ Was that my ad?  I had a buyer who changed his mind last minute.  Mine are back up for sale.  I'm not fond of their sound signature on an emotional level.  I think the headphone is excellent, but I was hoping for a different tone similar to the ESW11 Japan.  

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #110 of 215
Times sure have changed. The other releases of AT portable woodies were so active and this is like crickets.......

There are a lot of competitors in "near full size sound" portable market nowadays....so maybe not a surprise.  However, I still think the ESW9A holds a special place out there...and the LTD version definitely does some things better.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #111 of 215
Times sure have changed. The other releases of AT portable woodies were so active and this is like crickets.......

In Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors area IEMs are dominating. There is an explosion of different small manufacturers that provide all sorts of multi ba, hybrid and so on IEMs.

People are not anymore into portable headphones.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #112 of 215
Yes, i have had custom iem's for years however they don't work for everyone. In fact, they don't work for many, from the problem with fit and comfort to the problem of footfall noise due to resonance in bones or movement of the earpiece, or tissue inside ears that do not conform to iem's. For me it is the later because of surfing. It makes the tissue inside my ears less conforming so the iem isn't grabbed and moves very slightly. This creates loud noise when walking. 

When voicing my problem originally, i couldn't find the reason, and i was contacted by an unexpectedly large number of head-fiers who had the same issues. I still use iem's in some situations and love them(JH13) but when i am going to be walking it is not worth it. For this reason i use over ears and on ears. Mostly those with issues using iem's try them once and swear due to expense wasted and then come back to regular headphones or just leave our community frustrated.

Either way, guess when the esw9 originally came out they were more of a novelty. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #113 of 215
  Yes, i have had custom iem's for years however they don't work for everyone. In fact, they don't work for many, from the problem with fit and comfort to the problem of footfall noise due to resonance in bones or movement of the earpiece, or tissue inside ears that do not conform to iem's. For me it is the later because of surfing. It makes the tissue inside my ears less conforming so the iem isn't grabbed and moves very slightly. This creates loud noise when walking. 

When voicing my problem originally, i couldn't find the reason, and i was contacted by an unexpectedly large number of head-fiers who had the same issues. I still use iem's in some situations and love them(JH13) but when i am going to be walking it is not worth it. For this reason i use over ears and on ears. Mostly those with issues using iem's try them once and swear due to expense wasted and then come back to regular headphones or just leave our community frustrated.

Either way, guess when the esw9 originally came out they were more of a novelty. 

I'm with you.  I also have JH13's which are great.  But sometimes I'm not in the mood for an IEM...that's where a nice full sounding portable comes headphone in.  I also find my ESW9A's more fun than my JH13's even though the '13's are technically better in almost every way.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #114 of 215
Cool deal. 

My update is, at least i am in customs, day two there. Gotta say that having ordered these on the 11th i was thinking I'd have them in hand before Christmas. That isn't going to happen, go figure…..Probably before New Years though...

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #115 of 215
I have to say, if anyone has a DX90 and the ESW9LTD you are in for a treat....headfier's talk of synergy...and those two have it. 

My main complaint with the ESW9LTD is that while it sounds great in so many ways it can be slightly distant and less engaging.  With more volume (sometimes too much) that problem goes away.  However with the DX90, this problem is IMO gone.  The DX90's tendency towards an intimate presentation and extra warmth (as compared to my DX100) is a great fit for the ESW9LTD.  Such great sound in the small package of the DX90 and ESW9LTD...this is what makes this hobby fun.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #116 of 215
Came just now. First impressions. Darker color than i expected but totally beautiful. Sound, i have only a/b against esw10jpn, and only briefly. Esw9ltd is smoother sounding/warmer but less detailed and analytical, bass is not as punchy as the 10 either. Have to do some more back and forth and pull out the esw11ltd and esw9 to see how they compare. I generally use the esw9 as a back up to just have in the car if i end up needing it. Glad there is a signature difference from the esw10ltd so duplication isn't so much……More later after i get a little time with them.

Edit-relistened on better set up….. 

Edit2-esw9 is warmer and music seems to smear a little compared to the esw9ltd. The esw10 is slightly more detailed but also seems to emphasis the midrange more(or maybe vocals more forward) than the esw9ltd which may have a slightly more balanced presentation or a slightly more recessed midrange(remembering that AT emphasizes midrange more than others of course). All sound good and right but comparing the esw9 original although being very musical is definitely not as detailed with separation like the other two. Still have to do some a/b with the esw11ltd. As it stand now, i prefer the esw10jpn slightly over the esw9ltd. I am used to the 10 though. The esw9 falls into the bottom slot without question. T

Equipment is PSaudio Digital Link dac that is highly modified, being fed by the "Diverter" usb converter. The amp is a Vioelectric V200 with two output plugs so i can jump right back and forth. For this comparison pulled out Cat Stevens 24/96. Most of my stuff is live but this is studio so better for fine comparison.

Edit-3 The esw11ltd is a very different phone. Hard to compare. Fuller bigger sound and more bass(weightier) due to size. Doesn't seem to be as balanced but it is an unfair comparison because there is just more there with the larger drivers and cup size.

Seriel #1131 I like that.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #117 of 215
  Came just now. First impressions. Darker color than i expected but totally beautiful. Sound, i have only a/b against esw10jpn, and only briefly. Esw9ltd is smoother sounding/warmer but less detailed and analytical, bass is not as punchy as the 10 either. Have to do some more back and forth and pull out the esw11ltd and esw9 to see how they compare. I generally use the esw9 as a back up to just have in the car if i end up needing it. Glad there is a signature difference from the esw10ltd so duplication isn't so much……More later after i get a little time with them.

Edit-relistened on better set up….. 

Edit2-esw9 is warmer and music seems to smear a little compared to the esw9ltd. The esw10 is slightly more detailed but also seems to emphasis the midrange more(or maybe vocals more forward) than the esw9ltd which may have a slightly more balanced presentation or a slightly more recessed midrange(remembering that AT emphasizes midrange more than others of course). All sound good and right but comparing the esw9 original although being very musical is definitely not as detailed with separation like the other two. Still have to do some a/b with the esw11ltd. As it stand now, i prefer the esw10jpn slightly over the esw9ltd. I am used to the 10 though. The esw9 falls into the bottom slot without question. T

Equipment is PSaudio Digital Link dac that is highly modified, being fed by the "Diverter" usb converter. The amp is a Vioelectric V200 with two output plugs so i can jump right back and forth. For this comparison pulled out Cat Stevens 24/96. Most of my stuff is live but this is studio so better for fine comparison.

Edit-3 The esw11ltd is a very different phone. Hard to compare. Fuller bigger sound and more bass(weightier) due to size. Doesn't seem to be as balanced but it is an unfair comparison because there is just more there with the larger drivers and cup size.

Seriel #1131 I like that.

I have the ESW10 so I will be interesting in more comparison. I found the 10's needed a long time to settle as I didn't like the sound for a few hundred hours and actually gave up using for a year or so. Now they are one of my favorites. My Ultrasone number is 1010. Too bad they didn't number the 10's. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #118 of 215

I have the ESW10 so I will be interesting in more comparison. I found the 10's needed a long time to settle as I didn't like the sound for a few hundred hours and actually gave up using for a year or so. Now they are one of my favorites. My Ultrasone number is 1010. Too bad they didn't number the 10's. 

Ultrasone number?

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #119 of 215
If you like the esw9 i would say the esw9ltd is a good update. It is clearer and more detailed by far and seems to remove the veil from the esw9 in comparison. When compared to the esw10jpn, it may be preference, but i think the 10 edges these out depending on taste. The only thing about the 10 is that it can sound edgy at times where as the esw9ltd is smoother in comparison. Also as i said before the vocals on the esw10jpn are more forward. The 10 sounds more dynamic, or has more instrument separation. Definitely two different families of the Headsuit. That is probably enough comparisons from me.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #120 of 215
  If you like the esw9 i would say the esw9ltd is a good update. It is clearer and more detailed by far and seems to remove the veil from the esw9 in comparison. When compared to the esw10jpn, it may be preference, but i think the 10 edges these out depending on taste. The only thing about the 10 is that it can sound edgy at times where as the esw9ltd is smoother in comparison. Also as i said before the vocals on the esw10jpn are more forward. The 10 sounds more dynamic, or has more instrument separation. Definitely two different families of the Headsuit. That is probably enough comparisons from me.

If I'm understanding your impressions it seems we agree, though I only have an ESW9A and recabled ESW9A to compare to the ESW9LTD.  The LTD is definitely more detailed, and it's midrange is more recessed with less sense of fullness than the ESW9A.  This characteristic turned me off to the LTD at first, but overall the LTD really seems to offer the more balanced presentation.  As I mentioned somewhere earlier, the ESW9LTD really sound very similar to my ATH-W1000X...which is an impressive feat. 

Two things I've learned...after being used to the ESW9A sound, the LTD seemed to sound thin, but depending on the genre/song the LTD will often clean house over the ESW9A.  Also, the LTD does gain some fullness and extra bass edge with burn in.  

It sounds like the ESW10JPN is a special headphone...would love to hear one someday.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back