New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Dec 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #76 of 215
  Love the colour
And the mids is to die for

Agree on the mids. I also found the bass to be fuller than my standard ESW9's.

Heard some dsd off my Sony D100 on these cans earlier today - blew my socks off. The Dali Albums (especially cd#2 - Toto - I will remember) was like I had never heard on any cans this size before.

Ordered on the spot! Fabulously built and the looks are a killer too.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #77 of 215

Agree on the mids. I also found the bass to be fuller than my standard ESW9's....

Agreed on the great looks...the grain on mine is especially nice....

...but I can't see how anything (bass or otherwise) on the ESW9LTD could be called "fuller" than the ESW9.  I find it more spacious but much thinner sounding.  The bass, though tighter, is much leaner than the ESW9...I wish it had just a little bit more.  It's actually a hard transition going back and forth between my ESW9LTD and ESW9 as the two have such a different presentation. 

Overall I like both, but am leaning towards keeping the LTD's as they are less closed sounding and are very similar to my W1000x (which is a good thing).      

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #78 of 215
Perhaps the recording I was listening to. I must confess my esw9 is away for recabling so I did not have a A-B comparison on hand, just going from memory. 

Anyway my opinion based on my music preferences and my HEARING.....

More spacious I totally agree.

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #80 of 215

Agreed on the great looks...the grain on mine is especially nice....

...but I can't see how anything (bass or otherwise) on the ESW9LTD could be called "fuller" than the ESW9.  I find it more spacious but much thinner sounding.  The bass, though tighter, is much leaner than the ESW9...I wish it had just a little bit more.  It's actually a hard transition going back and forth between my ESW9LTD and ESW9 as the two have such a different presentation. 

Overall I like both, but am leaning towards keeping the LTD's as they are less closed sounding and are very similar to my W1000x (which is a good thing).      

ooh, this assessment about a leaner bass difference worries me ... 
eek.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #82 of 215
Had to share these pics.  The wood on the ESW9LTD is beautiful with each cup showing great variability in grain.  Not pictured...but I noticed today that there is also a serial number, located on the inside of the left headband.  How many units are being made?  I've seen both 2,000 and 3,000 units quoted from different sources.

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #83 of 215
^ someone closed to the local ATH distributor told me that only 2000 units will be made.
I've ordered one from my local dealer but will only collect before Christmas as my missus prefer the ESW9Ltd SQ over her V-Moda XS

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #85 of 215
used the search function but I am not 100% sure. Are the cables on this headphone (user-)replaceable?

I'm afraid just like the ESW9, the cable on this Ltd Ed is fixed.
But if the internal wiring is the same as ESW9, it is quite straight forward to re-cable this headphone

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #86 of 215

If it matters...mine aren't burned in yet so don't worry too much.  My original impressions were only after 20 hours of burn-in.

OK, I'll be waiting for your assessment after 100 hours or so ...

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #87 of 215
I wonder how they compare to the ESW10 Japan that were limited edition?

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #88 of 215
Headfonics has a review that compares these to the ESW10JPN (and 9 and W11JPN) ( http://headfonics.com/2014/12/the-esw9-ltd-headphone-by-audio-technica/ )

The new ESW9-LTD is basically an improved ESW10JPN, they are near identical in setup but the overall clarity is actually a bit better than the ESW11JPN to my ears on the treble and upper midrange. No doubt that the new 9-LTD is a vast improvement over the original in every way and it actually bests the 11JPN in staging qualities: separation, height and width are actually noticeably better.

Have to say agree with his overall assessment, not that impressed considering the price ($400)

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #89 of 215
I just got the esw11 and esw10jpn about a month and a half ago. Although the esw10 does have great detail, in overall performance i can not see it or even an improved version competing with the esw11ltd. It's smaller size is convenient and nice in many situations but there is a trade off. I will probably spring for the esw9ltd just to complete the set and have another presentation but not holding my breath for it to best the 11's. They really surprised me. I assume the 9ltd is an updated esw10jpn in a different color, which is great and I'm in, just sayin'.   

Will report upon hearing…..

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #90 of 215

OK, I'll be waiting for your assessment after 100 hours or so ...

My set has approximately 125 hours now and I am very happy with the improvements.  I've had headphones in which burn-in seems to do nothing...however the ESW9LTD is not one of them.  They sound so spacious and effortless now for a smaller portable can...but most noticeably the bass has fleshed out nicely. 

It still has much less bass then my recabled ESW9A's...but the bass is improving in presence and impact.  Now my regular ESW9A's seems congested with slightly less clarity, and bass that is loose and too much.

My only complaint is that the ESW9LTD doesn't seem as dynamic at lower volumes.  As I raise the volume just beyond my normal listening threshold, they really begin to bloom and fill out.  This is the same when fed by either my DX100 or SR71b...neither of which are slouches on amping power. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back