New Audio Technica Limited Edition Woodies: ATH-ESW9LTD!!
Nov 29, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #61 of 215
Any of you have EW9, I consider it marvel!

I owned a pair of these years ago but ended up giving them to a friend. I had comfort problems with how they fitted on my ears.

Nov 30, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #62 of 215
Well, I giving my best to resist. My best is just not enough.

Is there a way to get them a less expensive way than with pricejapan (to Europe)?

Nov 30, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #63 of 215
  Hi currawong,

Do you have any sense of the build quality being any better than the ESW9s which I own and love?

As far as I understand they are just ESW9s with different drivers and different wood cups. I wouldn't expect anything else to be different, excepting the tuning being affected at least.

What was interesting today listening was that as the music was thumping away, the headphones were not, unlike my Z7s. I can't help wondering if that was partially responsible for my positive experiences with them.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #64 of 215
Got my ESW9LTD's yesterday...they are much better looking than the pictures...

Too early to make any real impressions, but on first listen they seem to have a shift towards the highs and sound not quite as "full" as my recabled ESW9's.  They seem slightly clearer/more resolving to me...but that could be an illusion from the slight shift to higher treble.  They also seem to have slightly better separation (less sense of congestion) as compared to the ESW9's.  I like that, and hope that real listening later will prove that out.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #65 of 215
  Got my ESW9LTD's yesterday...they are much better looking than the pictures...

Too early to make any real impressions, but on first listen they seem to have a shift towards the highs and sound not quite as "full" as my recabled ESW9's.  They seem slightly clearer/more resolving to me...but that could be an illusion from the slight shift to higher treble.  They also seem to have slightly better separation (less sense of congestion) as compared to the ESW9's.  I like that, and hope that real listening later will prove that out.

My only concern about buying a pair is whether the increased clarity in the mids and highs can get fatiguing. I like more of a yin sound, not a yang sound.

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #66 of 215
Just placed an order. It seems that I am a crazy freak for the ATH portables. ESW9 -> ES10 - > ESW11LTD -> and soon ESW9LTD

Kaneda told me within seconds, that they will be shipped 3rd or 4th :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #67 of 215
  Just placed an order. It seems that I am a crazy freak for the ATH portables. ESW9 -> ES10 - > ESW11LTD -> and soon ESW9LTD

Kaneda told me within seconds, that they will be shipped 3rd or 4th :)

congrats! impressions please after you get them ... 

popcorn.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #68 of 215
Someone commented the labeling is on the outside of the lacquer coating. I recall when I was deciding on whether to buy a pair of Denon D5000s or 7000s, I read that the 5000s labeling rubbed off with usage ... the 7000s labeling was underneath the lacquer coat so I opted for them.

Any thoughts on whether the esw9ltds may be susceptible to this same issue?

I'm very anal about fit and finish, especially on limited edition products. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #69 of 215
  Someone commented the labeling is on the outside of the lacquer coating. I recall when I was deciding on whether to buy a pair of Denon D5000s or 7000s, I read that the 5000s labeling rubbed off with usage ... the 7000s labeling was underneath the lacquer coat so I opted for them.

Any thoughts on whether the esw9ltds may be susceptible to this same issue?

I'm very anal about fit and finish, especially on limited edition products. 
biggrin.gif

On the regular ESW9 the labeling is on top, but I have them for very long now and the labeling still is intact.

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #70 of 215

On the regular ESW9 the labeling is on top, but I have them for very long now and the labeling still is intact.

good to know. my ESW9's labeling looks as good as new and I've had mine for a long time as well. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #72 of 215
Unboxing!

I've added them to the Head Gear section too: http://www.head-fi.org/products/audio-technica-esw9ltd-limited-edition-wood-headphones

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #73 of 215
I have still been contemplating to purchase these, but hesitation. If I was swimming in money it would be a different matter.

But I am curious if someone can compare these to the ESW11LTD which I absolutely love.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #74 of 215
I've had it up to buy on the screen several times, trying not to be to compulsive.

I only want this and an ed5,
But that's not gonna happen any time soon lol.
Definitely getting one come tax return time. .
:)

I ordered from PriceJapan for a total shipped cost of $437 US.  I have no idea if I will be hit with a customs charge or not.

Japan has huge nuclear reactor problems that may bring it's yen down. .

As far as I understand they are just ESW9s with different drivers and different wood cups. I wouldn't expect anything else to be different, excepting the tuning being affected at least.

From your video I would say the actual plastic (black parts) is more like the composite that both the esw11& 10jpn have in that it is not as shiny or plasticy as the esw9, when I compared those in the past.

Those cups have a slight grain glow that you didn't really get to show off, which is very beautiful.

Only the esw10jpn had that quality grain glow,
so this unit is the second portable to have a wood finish worthy of being an earsuit series..
The esw11 and esw9 didn't cut it for me (for looks only) with their bland finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back