NEW: Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
Aug 17, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #451 of 732
My ESW11 vs ES10 (with esw11 pads) brief impressions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/545288/audio-technica-ath-es-10-appreciation-thread/585#post_9713684

Brief impressions.

ESW11 vs ES10 (with ESW11 pads).

Well what can I say they are both great performers and I think personal sonic preferences would top my opinions here.
They are very similar but what it comes down is simply `Wood versus Metal`.

ESW11 -  drivers 53mm,  5~42,000Hz
ES10  - drivers 53mm, 5~40,000Hz

*Specs from Audio Technica website.

I tested them using a splitter from my Hifi-M8 with switches set at 2ohms and Gain at 2, I used Flacplayer app.
I switched between them often during each songs to try determine the varied differences in sound signature.

ATH-ESW11 seems to have a flatter response overall to my ears, It responds well to amplifying. It is smoother with more mids and at times appears full bodied.
It may be described as a darker sound for lack of a better word.

ATH-ES10 appears to be more energetic/aggressive, `lighter` with more treble and at times deeper bass, with amplification the vocals become more forward at the possible expense of the music and the highs can become too high and the treble becomes harsh. Because of the emphasis at times on treble it can appear to have more detail which i think might be  illusionary.

If you listen at low to moderate levels I think the ES10 is a quality headphone, the ESW11 shines with amplification from  mid to high volumes.

Best all rounder for extended non-fatiguing listening times would be the ATH-ESW11 imho.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #452 of 732
Quote:
My ESW11 vs ES10 (with esw11 pads) brief impressions.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/545288/audio-technica-ath-es-10-appreciation-thread/585#post_9713684

ATH-ESW11 seems to have a flatter response overall to my ears, It responds well to amplifying. It is smoother with more mids and at times appears full bodied.
It may be described as a darker sound for lack of a better word.

ATH-ES10 appears to be more energetic/aggressive, `lighter` with more treble and at times deeper bass, with amplification the vocals become more forward at the possible expense of the music and the highs can become too high and the treble becomes harsh. Because of the emphasis at times on treble it can appear to have more detail which i think might be  illusionary.

If you listen at low to moderate levels I think the ES10 is a quality headphone, the ESW11 shines with amplification from  mid to high volumes.

Best all rounder for extended non-fatiguing listening times would be the ATH-ESW11 imho.

Interesting, i rarely read a review or impression that exactly duplicates my experience but this one is very close.  I a/b at a meet for extended with my esw11 ear pad version of the es10 vs the esw11 and i concur completely.  I like the 11 better generally as it is not as aggressive and sounds generally more balanced but not sure if it is worth yet another duplication.  If i can find one that is not quite as painfully expensive i will probably bite though.

Aug 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #453 of 732
How is sound isolation of esw11ltd? I intend to use it on noisy places such as bus and train. Also, its leather ear pad is bit of a concern to me for the one on my T5P really smothers my ears even in coldest winter. Could anybody shed some lights on these two points? Much appreciated!

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #454 of 732
Quote:
Comparison of the ATH-ESW10JPN and the ATH-ESW11LTD.
 ​
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW10JPN
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW11LTD
Bass relative to midrange
slightly recessed*​
no recession​
400-800 Hz relative to midrange
recessed
no recession​
Treble relative to midrange
emphasized or comparable​
 recessed​
Bass
a little bit more tight​
smooth​
Overall sound
bright**
harsh
warm, dark, mellow,
smooth
Transparency
I think they about the same:
high-pitched sounds are more distinguishable here
due to brightness, that's all
 ​

* Perhaps each of these two columns is not meaningful separately, e.g. I'm not sure that the bass is really lower than the mid-range, but when I switch between these headphones, it seems that this is so.
** I feel now that the ATH-ESW10JPN is even brighter than the ATH-W3000ANV.

There is a pair of ATH-ESW10JPN for sale in a store here, used of course.

Tempted to go try them out...but the `Overall sound-bright**, harsh` makes me think the trip might not be worth it in this heat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It could be worthwhile to add ES10 and ESW9 into the graph above.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #456 of 732
Now I can add ATH-ES10, ES88 and ES700 to this graph =). I've never had the ATH-ESW9, so maybe someone will help me with description of them?

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #458 of 732
I was wondering if anyone has modded these phones for balanced listening yet?  And if so, how did you like the results?

Aug 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #459 of 732

Tempted to go try them out...but the `Overall sound-bright**, harsh` makes me think the trip might not be worth it in this heat.
life is full of regrets, so I would take the plunge!
I think it would be worthwhile for you and also everyone here for your comments :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #460 of 732
How is sound isolation of esw11ltd?I intend to use it on noisy places such as bus and train.Also, its leather ear pad is bit of a concern to me for the one on my T5P really smothers my ears even in coldest winter.Could anybody shed some lights on these two points?Much appreciated!
tried today. Fairly good isolation.

Smothers ears, i cant really answer that as it depends on the users ear size. Fine for me with my small ears.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #461 of 732

life is full of regrets, so I would take the plunge!
I think it would be worthwhile for you and also everyone here for your comments :)
ah it appears they were in the Osaka branch and not the Tokyo store.......so no go there.

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #463 of 732
On my ear the high gets brighter, but not harsh at all. the bass going deeper and cleaner. Everything sounds more open...

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #464 of 732
Thanks, anyone else?

Running the burn app at the moment with some white noise, then pink noise for 30 minutes.

I dont want to post what i am hoping will happen to the sonics after a period of use/burn in incase i skew the replies/opinions.

Thanks again in advance.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #465 of 732
I believe they have potential for more detail as the magnet structure is better than previous designs, or so I have herd from reading on other sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back