New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #481 of 11,259
somebody loaned me some single ended litz interconnects and the dynamics have leading edge jump/snap like silver but it decays like copper.

that's what two 185lbs horns ran me after mods (not including the uhaul and handtruck)

Just listed a Bryston B60R SST for sale because I haven't used it in a while. Decided to give it a last listen because it was the Gustard X20 that it couldn't quiet gel with. Well holy crap this sounds nice with the R2R7. Brystons are very flat -- deep bass and pronounced highs that got them the nickname "brightson". Well those highs are now just a big flashlight into beautiful female vocals -- nothing DAC'y about. Just another example of how you'll end up spending more if you upgrade your source at the end.
Nothing can make up for a deficient source if you want the best sound. Getting better, more revealing equipement downstream will only make things worse. Not implying the x20 is bad but probably not good enough for your setup and not a good match.

Any recommendation for inexpensive xlr from China? Was looking at Bada and others.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #482 of 11,259
Had a read through the thread and couldn't seem to find a definite answer. Between this and the Yggy, what would be the go to? I can't audition this one, so I'm hoping to go off someone elses judgement. I'm trying to upgrade from the Chord QBD76 HDSD.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #484 of 11,259
IMO, if you're upgrading from a Chord, get another Chord DAC, like the Hugo 2. The presentation is somewhat different.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #485 of 11,259
Had a read through the thread and couldn't seem to find a definite answer. Between this and the Yggy, what would be the go to? I can't audition this one, so I'm hoping to go off someone elses judgement. I'm trying to upgrade from the Chord QBD76 HDSD.
The r2r 7 is more customizable. And it could be even more so in the future with firmware upgrades. The r2r 7 is my third 3-transfo dac from audio-gd. I am a very happy customer.

Go read the 6 moon review comparing the yggdrasil to the terminator and Holo. Read also the r2r 7 and r2r 7 he reviews of our fellow headfier from the Netherlands. Read between the lines. The r2r 7 combines accuracy and musicality in an exceptional manner.

Consider matching your current gears as well. I have dead neutral speakers. The audio-gd gears bring some smoothness to the party without being syrupy. The two dacs are very close to one another. It's more a matter of tastes and match. And trust in the quality of the product. The audio-gd fit and finish is not top notch but has improved in the last years. Built quality inside is excellent. The yggdrasil is better finished but cheaper inside from what we see in the pictures.

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #487 of 11,259
Done some tweaking on my setup.

I have removed the Gallo 3.1's tweak that consist in placing a 15 ohm resistor on the second set of binding posts meant for the woofer's sub-bass coil (adds some bass when removing it).

I put the Audio Art ic-3 between the pre and monoblocks (the nfb-1amp is now hooked with a mogami cable terminated with gold-plated neutriks).

I have put my biggest available power cord between the main power distributor and the balanced isolation transfo feeding all my signal level gears.

I have upgraded the power cable on the r2r 7.

The bass is now more generous and my amps are not working as hard which translate into better mids and high, giving me the same sound quality as i had throught the nfb-1amp, only more transparent. I think i will be a happy camper for quite a while. I got rid of some harshness that i assume came from my too hard working amps. I knew this was not caused by the r2r 7 since i had no issue with the headphones. Sometimes, you have to be persistent.

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #490 of 11,259
Thanks @FredA. Seems what I can determine is the S7 is warmer where the R2R 7 is perhaps more accurate/ clinical. S7 may have more bass if that is important. S7 users (tiny few that reported) like the" accurate" firmware upgrade but may be too much of a good thing for the R2R 7. I have the DSP upgrade files but my equipment (S7 and M7S) is packed as I am moving to a new location. So trying to gauge what to expect on the S7 types.

Kingwa has been a busy man this year... Starting with the S7 shipments in January '17.

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #491 of 11,259
Thanks @FredA. Seems what I can determine is the S7 is warmer where the R2R 7 is perhaps more accurate/ clinical. S7 may have more bass if that is important. S7 users (tiny few that reported) like the" accurate" firmware upgrade but may be too much of a good thing for the R2R 7. I have the DSP upgrade files but my equipment (S7 and M7S) is packed as I am moving to a new location. So trying to gauge what to expect on the S7 types.

Kingwa has been a busy man this year... Starting with the S7 shipments in January '17.

Possibly more clinical but with a more developed medium and more accuracy compared the last M7 iteration. But i would not call it clinical. Audio-gd builds musical devices. Just more accurate than before as far as dacs are concerned.

Kingwa has upgraded most of his line of products and sales have increased. His direct competition probably can't keep up. This is quite fantastic.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #492 of 11,259
Listening to Patricia Barber's Nightclub, Just for a thrill. Very coherent with rich medium and liquid treble. Could use a tad more bass but i am still burning my new power cable and interconnect. Compared to the m7, the treble has gained smoothness. It's significant. Turntable highs but more resolved. What more can you ask?

Oct 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #493 of 11,259
I don't like sounding like i am doing plugs, but the Audio Art ic-3 balanced interconnect is unbelievably good for under 100$. No weak point whatsoever. I don't feel like i am making any compromise with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back