New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 7, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #466 of 11,276
Had a couple glasses of wine (Valpolicella Ripasso). Have listened to a couple of Keith Jarrett albums, then a couple of Wynton Marsalis. Sweet.

The sound was not so good this morning (i would bet on those cell towers polluting the grid). Tonight, life is very good. There is not much i like more than a complete musical immersion playing music of jazz gods like these.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #467 of 11,276
Different scales means I should compare them, but I couldn't help but notice that the R2R7 shows the noise floor gradually increasing.
Looks like the slope-intercept might be from -160 to -132 dB.
(give me a graph [any graph] and I'll tell you how to forecast the weather with it)
For easier comparison, 1uV on Terminator (4.6V xlr) roughly corresponds to 133dB.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #468 of 11,276
if graphs were the final word then I would never discovered the virtues of R2R

Because how can you argue with a $1900 dual 9038 DAC that measures like this ...
graph 777.PNG

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #472 of 11,276
Are you Italian? Where from?
No I am. I am a Quebecer. I love Italy however. Italy produces my favorite wine, Chianti Classico (for instance: Fontodi 2000, a slendid wine), and i often cook italian dishes: pasta, pizza, meats, vegetables like Italians would do. I rest my pizza dough for 3 days in the fridge before using it for instance. Someday, i would like to learn Italian and spend a month touring Italy. I spent around 10 days all in all on cruises there.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #473 of 11,276
if graphs were the final word then I would never discovered the virtues of R2R

Because how can you argue with a $1900 dual 9038 DAC that measures like this ...
The main problem with these delta sigma dacs is the on-the-fly conversion from pcm to dsd, Imagine implementing an all custum delta sigma dac with conversion being done on an a powerful altera dsp and using a multibit pulse generator, discrete, of course. Could be really awesome and probably quite inexpensive to build. Kingwa, are you reading this thread?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #475 of 11,276
No I am. I am a Quebecer. I love Italy however. Italy produces my favorite wine, Chianti Classico (for instance: Fontodi 2000, a slendid wine), and i often cook italian dishes: pasta, pizza, meats, vegetables like Italians would do. I rest my pizza dough for 3 days in the fridge before using it for instance. Someday, i would like to learn Italian and spend a month touring Italy. I spent around 10 days all in all on cruises there.

Quebeckers are lucky in comparison to other Canadians: you can import more wine. And congratulations on doing pizza dough the right way. It is sad that many pizzerias in Italy do not do that as well. Now, lets us return to audio...

Roberto

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #477 of 11,276
Here's a combination that really works: r2r 7->balanced art audio ic-3->nfb-1amp->k701 (balanced). Good sound from top to bottom and clean. Very articulate bass.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #478 of 11,276
On a somewhat different scale: R2R 7 > Audiovalve Solaris > Susvara. Those headphones seem to mate well where the DAC is a touch mellow.

Oct 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #479 of 11,276
On a somewhat different scale: R2R 7 > Audiovalve Solaris > Susvara. Those headphones seem to mate well where the DAC is a touch mellow.
Audiovalve Solaris, 5000 euros, ouch! Better sound great. You get two master-9 plus a r2r 7 for that kind of money! Of course, synergy is always required, whatever the cost of the setup.

Plus 6000usd headphones? W... T...H....!!!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #480 of 11,276
Here's a combination that really works: r2r 7->balanced art audio ic-3->nfb-1amp->k701 (balanced). Good sound from top to bottom and clean. Very articulate bass.
somebody loaned me some single ended litz interconnects and the dynamics have leading edge jump/snap like silver but it decays like copper.

Plus 6000usd headphones? W... T...H....!!!
that's what two 185lbs horns ran me after mods (not including the uhaul and handtruck)

Just listed a Bryston B60R SST for sale because I haven't used it in a while. Decided to give it a last listen because it was the Gustard X20 that it couldn't quiet gel with. Well holy crap this sounds nice with the R2R7. Brystons are very flat -- deep bass and pronounced highs that got them the nickname "brightson". Well those highs are now just a big flashlight into beautiful female vocals -- nothing DAC'y about. Just another example of how you'll end up spending more if you upgrade your source at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back