New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,051 of 11,296
The simplest way is to ask Jos, but normally the r2r 7 ships with the smooth fw. For the first 800 to 1000 hours, i recommend you keep the smooth fw. Otherwise, you may find you dac harsh. The first 24 hours are to be ignored: it will probably sound pretty bad. And one last advice, never turn it off so that it is always ready to perform, temperature needing to be even inside.

I see this on the R2R-7 user guide:
"We highly recommend to turn off your device when it is not in use."

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #1,052 of 11,296
After having sold my Terminator DAC, I placed an order for the R2R-7 unit
this will be the 1st time I'm reading someone's account of any denafrips model vs r2r7. I've waited so long for that!

My DAC shipped about 6mo ago and it had accurate
During breakin the smooth FW and spdif were my tools of tolerance. Once fully baked, returning to accurate + i2s was a lovely upgrade.

I see this on the R2R-7 user guide:
"We highly recommend to turn off your device when it is not in use."
Perhaps the power is dangerously irregular in some countries and that's the advice for all electronics?
Also, he says to power down the unit before un/plugging the i2s. I'm not sure how important that is but I've been doing it. I'm sure I've mistakenly forgot to power down at least once.

Not only do I leave my unit on 24/7, but I've recently started doing the same for my entire chain (my direct coupled amp is only 100wpc). I just turn the volume down.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,058 of 11,296
They probably just repaceced the hdmi module. Easy fix. Did you get you new dac?

Yes:L3000: the R2R 1 (w/isolated USB) arrived while I was traveling, so right now I have less than 200 hours playing with break-in tracks and white noise set up on a desktop system.

Thanks to all who have commented on the desired breaking-in period. I particularly think that was great advice by @JaMo a couple days back to keep your current DAC setup while going through the R2R break in thing.. My NOS7 has been quite amazing* the past week so I do not feel rushed to get the R2R 1 into the system.. will probably wait until around the 500 hour mark... but then will be sure to post a review and comparison of the isolated Amanero USB input vs. my SU-1 DDC via i2s.

(*just finished listening to Genesis Foxtrot... breathtaking stuff in those bits...)

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,059 of 11,296
Yes:L3000: the R2R 1 (w/isolated USB) arrived while I was traveling, so right now I have less than 200 hours playing with break-in tracks and white noise set up on a desktop system.

Thanks to all who have commented on the desired breaking-in period. I particularly think that was great advice by @JaMo a couple days back to keep your current DAC setup while going through the R2R break in thing.. My NOS7 has been quite amazing* the past week so I do not feel rushed to get the R2R 1 into the system.. will probably wait until around the 500 hour mark... but then will be sure to post a review and comparison of the isolated Amanero USB input vs. my SU-1 DDC via i2s.

(*just finished listening to Genesis Foxtrot... breathtaking stuff in those bits...)
Great. You never know. You might prefer the Amanero.

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #1,060 of 11,296
I only use i2s on mine for serious listening. For question 2, as JaMo mentioned, the sound changes constantly during break-in. And in additon, once the the r2r 7 stabilizes, i realized that it had more potential with the accurate fw but required some tweaks to make the sound non fatiguing and dynamic at the same time. For question 1, i have the same answer as JaMo. But it is possible to increase the bass quantity changing some signal/power cable to make it close to that of the m-7, which was a bit exagerated and needed to by reduced in my setup.

Thanks for your recommendation. I went for the HDMI replacement.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,061 of 11,296
Oeps that wasn't ment to be ;:

I use NOS 2 in the R2R 7HE with the standard firmware, so not the accurate version, i still find it the most enjoyable sound. Wide, deep with beautiful details. With the SU-1 MagnaFied it gains more 3D, micro details and space but also more drive. And because of that it gives the idea of more relaxed sound. Donno if laidback is the good expression for it, but it sounds easier, like a lot of muscle and not much to do :wink: Oh well laidback can be right after all, i'm not very good in translating Dutch feeling into English :D.
Thanks for your comment, so it appears you may be one of the few who stays on NOS mode. I want to see how you feel about the R2R in NOS sound. Is your unit now burned in fully? I am really wanting to try NOS DAC though it seems many people are doing the Oversampling for Audio-GD, though I could be wrong given this very long thread. Is the NOS mode in R2R great enough ?? Or the best for some people? Thanks again!

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,062 of 11,296
I think my R2R7 ran for 800 hours or so. At the moment ii use NOS mode 3, very pleasant to listen to. Fluid, organic and open. Recently i switched the jumpers to the "6moons" positions, but it was late and didn't listen very long. Besides that, i wasn't alone so it was more musical wallpaper at that time.
The next day I had forgotten that I had changed the jumpers. What I heard was not really to my liking, the high sounded too bright and the sound became uneasy. Then I remembered it again and I put it back to NOS mode 3.
Bingo, my beloved sound was back as I used to.
Of course, it all depends on taste and how it fits in the rest of the set. But for me, NOS mode is still my favorite!

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,063 of 11,296
Thanks for your comment, so it appears you may be one of the few who stays on NOS mode. I want to see how you feel about the R2R in NOS sound. Is your unit now burned in fully? I am really wanting to try NOS DAC though it seems many people are doing the Oversampling for Audio-GD, though I could be wrong given this very long thread. Is the NOS mode in R2R great enough ?? Or the best for some people? Thanks again!
NOS Mode 3 on accurate firmware (no software upsampling) is still my favorite on my R2R7

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,064 of 11,296
I think my R2R7 ran for 800 hours or so. At the moment ii use NOS mode 3, very pleasant to listen to. Fluid, organic and open. Recently i switched the jumpers to the "6moons" positions, but it was late and didn't listen very long. Besides that, i wasn't alone so it was more musical wallpaper at that time.
The next day I had forgotten that I had changed the jumpers. What I heard was not really to my liking, the high sounded too bright and the sound became uneasy. Then I remembered it again and I put it back to NOS mode 3.
Bingo, my beloved sound was back as I used to.
Of course, it all depends on taste and how it fits in the rest of the set. But for me, NOS mode is still my favorite!
What exactly are these different modes ? Are they. Filters ? Different programming ?

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,065 of 11,296
NOS = Non-OverSampling. Technically worse than the default oversampling mode, but some people like it as it sounds smoother. Other people put the DAC into NOS mode and use software up-sampling on a computer instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back