New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #11,191 of 11,260
I use a Matrix SPDIF 3 from my computer in my office to connect to everything on my desk. I still have not been able to tell if I personally can hear the differences between having a device like that or not but I like it. It makes things easier.
SPDIF3 is a very good improvement to R1N. Soundstage and blacklevel is improved since the SPDIF2 in general.

I assume the SPDIF3 should be obvious improvement to the R28 since it has R1 dac stage. Maybe not the same as R1N. Digital section is maybe better on the R1

The music is more collected with that DDC(vs no DDC). I miss it actually. It is very pure. I would recommend the Matrix SPDIF3 together with a cheap usb cable over an expensive USB cable. I am going to own it again.

—-

The first undeniably improvement is the soundstage that opens up in width. Clear black background(not as textured/thick as DI20HE)….and the unforgiving speed/transients. Feels like the R1 is on steroids

A top DDC imo for very cheap money vs performance.

My chain was
PF USB Bridge V2-USB(cheap, some more expensive) - SPDIF3 —> PF I2S Cable -> R1N

I2S cable is preference can also be cheap imo, but the PF just adds the cream flavour, liquidy smoothness

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #11,192 of 11,260
It is highly dependent on the dac implementation and level of quality.
Sure. Makes sense. I'm not looking for it to improve the sound of the devices. They're great as is. More so to be able to have more than once device on deck to be able to use without needing to unplug and plug in each device every time I want to use it. Much more so for ease and laziness. I'm not one to keep looking to see hoe much further I can improve sound. Once I find what I like I'm good.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #11,193 of 11,260
Helo,
For resolve the "Buzz" problem when I change the inputs on the front of my R2R7 2018 modified to R7 2019 I will try to update the Firmware! It seems that the correct firmware is this one (I have HDMI in IN4):
R-7_Parallel_DOP1.1_IIS3:
Support DOP, remove DSD/PCM popping sound when changing tracks, and remove noise when selecting HDMI input but not connected.
So I'm ordering an Altera USB blaster and I'm going to try to figure out how to do

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #11,194 of 11,260
wrong thread

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #11,195 of 11,260
No problem.

There could be benefits, yes. One, it would possibly fix the dsd issue. I am not a fan of dsd either, my current dac does not even do dsd decoding natively. I don't care. I listen to old stuff mastered in pcm.

As for sound quality benefits, it is possibly that you would get some. The di20he is one of the finest ddc available and one of the most silent. The question is simple: does your streamer's i2s out beats the di20he's? If you get one, connect it also to the ock2.

I got a real SQ upgrade recently by getting a streamer with ext. clock input. The fact that the di20he and streamer are now synched seems like a plausible reason for this SQ upgrade.

I also got a Concentus clock cable to hook the sreamer up. Getting a real good i2s and clock cables to hook up the r7he mkii will bring also clear benefits. The Tubulus Concentus is not cheap and very stiff, so are the clock cables, but they deliver. Tubulus must be informed of how the equipment is disposed to give the hdmi plugs the proper orientation to facilitate the connection and preserve the plugs and connectors.
Thanks to many of you, but expecially to Fred, I now got to have my R7-HE linked with the DI-20 with the Tubulus Concentus I2S and the DAC with the Tubulus Concentus clock cable to Mutec Ref 10.
DI-20 remains clocked thru Gustard C1 cable, cheap but good enough, it seems.
What can I say...I was using a wireworld platinum eclipse 7 hdmi and I was thinking it was a super cable: even if I need a long burn in, I already notice the great step they represent. I was expecting something better, but not that big.
Clear, open, wide, silky and thick-bodied sound is filling my room. I am really happy.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #11,196 of 11,260
Thanks to many of you, but expecially to Fred, I now got to have my R7-HE linked with the DI-20 with the Tubulus Concentus I2S and the DAC with the Tubulus Concentus clock cable to Mutec Ref 10.
DI-20 remains clocked thru Gustard C1 cable, cheap but good enough, it seems.
What can I say...I was using a wireworld platinum eclipse 7 hdmi and I was thinking it was a super cable: even if I need a long burn in, I already notice the great step they represent. I was expecting something better, but not that big.
Clear, open, wide, silky and thick-bodied sound is filling my room. I am really happy.
:beerchug:

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #11,197 of 11,260
I wonder how Kingwa confirms the sound signature before he releases a new product. Does he play local music files, or a mix of streaming/WAN and LAN.

It is of course great out of the box but...

Making a long story short. My network has now "made" - (my network was weak) - my dac/R1N/R8H2 scale up in the authority/precision. Things I heard more pronounced on a deltasigma, is now as easy and precise without effort or dominating/distracting.

I am reaching a milestone for my own findings and upgrades. The effect is greater than a masterclock(OCK-2) directly on the R8H2. Not saying anything against masterclocks as I will upgrade to the OCK-2 for my units. I use an alibaba masterclock right now on the Ethernet card.

Two things now I prioritize before master clock. ACSS and Network upgrade.

-

It is just amazing everything I make to the chain is noticeable improvements/degradations. Just an open chain, nothing is closing/locking the sound signature.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #11,198 of 11,260
I wonder how Kingwa confirms the sound signature before he releases a new product. Does he play local music files, or a mix of streaming/WAN and LAN.

It is of course great out of the box but...

Making a long story short. My network has now "made" - (my network was weak) - my dac/R1N/R8H2 scale up in the authority/precision. Things I heard more pronounced on a deltasigma, is now as easy and precise without effort or dominating/distracting.

I am reaching a milestone for my own findings and upgrades. The effect is greater than a masterclock(OCK-2) directly on the R8H2. Not saying anything against masterclocks as I will upgrade to the OCK-2 for my units. I use an alibaba masterclock right now on the Ethernet card.

Two things now I prioritize before master clock. ACSS and Network upgrade.

-

It is just amazing everything I make to the chain is noticeable improvements/degradations. Just an open chain, nothing is closing/locking the sound signature.
I can't really make sense of your Source/Wan stuff in your signature. Kinda feels like "too many pieces"...
You've never tried network acoustics passive devices, right?

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #11,199 of 11,260
I can't really make sense of your Source/Wan stuff in your signature. Kinda feels like "too many pieces"...
You've never tried network acoustics passive devices, right?
The most important part is just isolate power from WAN side. That can be done depending of your setup. If you can put FMC before or after your ISP router. That is enough. The rest is just shaping and pairing the sound.

I am building my own router because I find it even more important now to have a segment dedicated to the Audio units/sources. Yes a switch can pass traffic without the need for a router on Layer 2. However if you do stream music on WAN, router is everything to that segment/LAN.

Ask your ISP if you can use your own router and buy one with SFP for the WAN input instead of wasting money on small tweaks :wink: - it will be a greater impact than you expect.

-

Passive devices like Isolators or anything in that regard will become irrelevant, when you doing it right. My Baaske and PF isolators sold, not in use anymore. They are bottleneck and degrading after I did the network upgrade. Isolators and other passive tweaks are only good when the network needs them...you see the logic?

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #11,200 of 11,260
DI20(non-HE) and R8H2 is something I never thought would better the DI20HE and R8H2.....V4.075 firmware on the DI20...but it is only DI20(non-he) `?

I have never tried the non-HE on this firmware version.

DI20HE and R1N betters the DI20HE and R8H2 to my ears.....but 4.075V R8H2 on the DI20(non-he)....its just a match! - Huwuaw!

----

Why?....I think personally that the R8H2 has some more punch/analog feeling paired with DI20HE vs the slower responding R1N but still competitive.

DI20(non-HE) is less analog which just give the edge to it somehow.....finally the R8H2 is back on winning!

The difference is clear now! - Not that I would ever consider selllin enything.

Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge -> BNC/RCA -> DI20(non-He) ->BNC/BNC -> R8H2 -> XLR -> HE9LE
Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge -> RCA/RCA -> DI20HE -> I2S ->R1N -> ACSS-> HE9LE

I can not imagine what ACSS would to to the R8 chain....I am leaving that surprise for 1 month more I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #11,203 of 11,260
My second success with cables so far from Pink Faun is the COAX. The impact it makes is very different experience from other COAX i have tried. It “slows” down the music in the way I notice everything.

It specifically eases the upper hard lows on the R8H2. Everything is well layered.

Going back to the other cables it sounded less organised a little more stressed - exaggerating a little - it feels like this cable is "active" like it processes the signal in a good way. The emphasis on the direction of phrases and melodies is a little easier than the cheap cables I have under 200euro

The first 30minutes I hated the pink faun cable because of the speed(slow), but after a couple of hours of settling/syncing. I don´t wanna give this cable back now!

I use it between DI20(non-he) and R8H2.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #11,204 of 11,260
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #11,205 of 11,260
BTW, did you try the new PF USB bridge v2 into DI20(HE)?
https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/bridg...2.html#/688-additional_pink_faun_usb_cable-no
From impressions on another forum it seems to be quite good.
Yes…

Pink Faun and Audio-gd is a match no matter the bridges or cables. I just like the combo👍

At the moment I use the Pink Faun SPDIF Bridge V1. Running COAX into DI20 and DI20HE.

JCAT is actually also good but it needs a very “specific” pairing to shine. It woke up with Pink Faun USB Cable.

Pink Faun USB Bridge V2 is better than the old with Ultra clock. So yes it is superb!

But I would wait for the new Ultra clock( built into Pink Faun USB Bridge) if you have the money.😳😁😱

Users who are viewing this thread

Back