New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 16, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #11,222 of 11,260
Hey Folks! I'm planning to upgrade from the Gustard R26, and this thread has been super helpful in narrowing the field to the R7HEMK3 and Cen. Grand DSDAC1.0 Deluxe. Is anyone here who has been able to give both a listen or could provide any comparisons? Thanks!

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #11,223 of 11,260
Unfortunately not but I had put down a down payment for the Deluxe but canceled the order and went for R7HE mk3 finally.
Mostly because I got an AGD amp as well... for synergy reason so to speak.
With Schiit amps... why not stay with the brand and buy a Yggy? (Deluxe and SF)
Upgraded from a Gustard also, the X26pro.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #11,224 of 11,260
Hey Folks! I'm planning to upgrade from the Gustard R26, and this thread has been super helpful in narrowing the field to the R7HEMK3 and Cen. Grand DSDAC1.0 Deluxe. Is anyone here who has been able to give both a listen or could provide any comparisons? Thanks!
I had a friend who had both. The mkiii benefits a lot from its cleaner power. The r26 needed a regen distributor, an excellent external clock and an audiophile switch to start sounding as well. Applying these same tweaks to the mkiii brings you to yet another level.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #11,225 of 11,260
Unfortunately not but I had put down a down payment for the Deluxe but canceled the order and went for R7HE mk3 finally.
Mostly because I got an AGD amp as well... for synergy reason so to speak.
With Schiit amps... why not stay with the brand and buy a Yggy? (Deluxe and SF)
Upgraded from a Gustard also, the X26pro.
The Gustard will move into a smaller listening space for headphones with the Schiit stack and some upcoming tube gear. The DSDAC1.0 Deluxe or R7HEMK3 will be used to power the open baffles instead. How is your R7 treating you? It'll be a blind buy so trying to get it right.

I had a friend who had both. The mkiii benefits a lot from its cleaner power. The r26 needed a regen distributor, an excellent external clock and an audiophile switch to start sounding as well. Applying these same tweaks to the mkiii brings you to yet another level.
Agreed. I'm planning on adding an isolator (LHY UIP) and/or a clock (OCK-2) to get things going.

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #11,226 of 11,260
The DAC I'm interested in hearing vs the R7HE MK3 is the Musician Taurus. It has built in OXCO already and even if they are not up to the speck of a After Dark, internal OXCO loose almost nothing in transfer while external ones loose some effectiveness due to the distance, travel, resistance, etc...

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #11,227 of 11,260
The DAC I'm interested in hearing vs the R7HE MK3 is the Musician Taurus. It has built in OXCO already and even if they are not up to the speck of a After Dark, internal OXCO loose almost nothing in transfer while external ones loose some effectiveness due to the distance, travel, resistance, etc...
The He7 mkiii would certainly be interesting for you as well. It stages big.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #11,229 of 11,260
Is the HE-7 darker and fuller sounding than the R7HE?

How do they differ?
Yes, this is quite the description I would give. It is also more laid back. Less of a front row experience. The down side is it does not hit as hard. Much like the Taurus vs the Rockna Signature in the Soundnews review. I am a big 1704k fan. But I also like the Da7 sound much. I can't keep 2 such big dacs. So I went for my favorite one. The HE7 is also more analog.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #11,230 of 11,260
Yes, this is quite the description I would give. It is also more laid back. Less of a front row experience. The down side is it does not hit as hard. Much like the Taurus vs the Rock Signature in the Soundnews review. I am a big 1704k fan. But I also like the Da7 sound much. I can't keep 2 such big dacs. So I went for my favorite one. The HE7 is also more analog.
Which was the R-7HE?

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #11,231 of 11,260
Which was the R-7HE?
The Taurus. To achieve best performance, like the reviewer, I have an arsenal of noise mitigation equipements. This makes comparing dacs easy. The Audio-gd dacs get to the next level with these. Mostly cords, distributors, isolation transfos and grounding boxes. And the audiophile switch and clocked streamer. Plus the clock and Concentus digital cables... :)

Apr 20, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #11,234 of 11,260
General thought:

This hobby should not let one forget, how much time that are spent, on the system to make it sound according to preference.

Just a thought. Look at the time and effort and how far it have taken the system before "just" moving on to another sound. R1N/R8H2 has become my reference. Not saying I will stop buying DACs but they brought my listening experience to where it is now.

Hope to add the flagship of DAC(7 series) in 2025.

---

Don´t just move on. Try to tune and shape the sound. Soo much to achieve. Source, DDC/Bridges, Cables, Network. It does not matter what price things have, even the cheapest changes can make improvements to the objective ear. I did not mention the most important thing. Power has already been implemented by Kingwa, it feels like a bonus/gift.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #11,235 of 11,260
Yes, this is quite the description I would give. It is also more laid back. Less of a front row experience. The down side is it does not hit as hard. Much like the Taurus vs the Rockna Signature in the Soundnews review. I am a big 1704k fan. But I also like the Da7 sound much. I can't keep 2 such big dacs. So I went for my favorite one. The HE7 is also more analog.
This is exactly what I noticed with R8H2 after adapting to R1N. It was too hard hitting. Even though I have now fixed it with DI20 and another COAX. I am very interested in the HE7 now!

This changed a lot. Thanks for the impression. More of it please!

It is 70% for the decision for HE7MK3 now vs 30% R7HEMK2

I have two R models, think its time to add the H

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back