New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 20, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #10,276 of 11,305
Alright on a 2019 R28, but likely has parralels with other units;

not sure if most users toyed with their respective modes:
NOS in 'mode 3' was so noticably an improvement for me, that I'd hardly call it the same DAC.

given how much fast A/B switching is required to spot 'small' differences with sub $1000 Delta/Sigmas' I have pitted against each other- the jump to mode 3 (vs mode 1) in NonOverSampling mode is significant (and exemplary/outstanding).

hmm I am 'verby'.

edit: and yes, volume 'bump' accounted for- stage and air noticably improved, as did instrument qualities.. although this was in DAC output mode (not 'pre-out') via Den stereo=>speakers..

R28 is probably the end of my kit shuffle for awhile.
(nabbing an adaptor tomkrrow to allow using 4.4mm pentaconn and 'journey done')
It depends on the genre which mode i choose.

Even within the metal genre. ^^
Most of the time, I'm on NOS3, but for my power metal playlists and all edm related stuff, i pick OS8.
Or when the tube amp comes into play, OS8 is nice too.

I love the R28 for what it is, but there's always a R27(HE) round the corner lurking for/at me, or my wallet. :sweat_smile:

We all know this feeling very well. ^^

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #10,278 of 11,305
A question for all of you experienced people out there. I eventually plan on getting a DI-20 HE to go with my R-8HE MK3 and would also like to get a 10MHz master clock. In order to use the master clock, would I hook it up through the BNC connections on both the DI-20 HE and R-8HE, or would I only hook it up to the DI-20 HE?

Also, the master clock I'm looking at comes with 2 connections, but can have more added at an additional cost. In a setup using only one DAC, would I ever need more than two connections?

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #10,279 of 11,305
A question for all of you experienced people out there. I eventually plan on getting a DI-20 HE to go with my R-8HE MK3 and would also like to get a 10MHz master clock. In order to use the master clock, would I hook it up through the BNC connections on both the DI-20 HE and R-8HE, or would I only hook it up to the DI-20 HE?

The idea of the "Master clock" is to have one clock source for all devices in the chain.

Also, the master clock I'm looking at comes with 2 connections, but can have more added at an additional cost. In a setup using only one DAC, would I ever need more than two connections?

Yes, if you have digital recorders.

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #10,280 of 11,305

Certain ethernet switches and streamers can take an external 10M clock signal.

Make sure the outputs you get have the proper impedance for both the di20 (by default, 50-ohm) and r8 (75-ohm).

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #10,281 of 11,305
Appreciate the input, this is all good to know. Also, would there be any benefit to upgrading to a square-wave output from sine-wave? That's another option available for the clock and wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make or if it was even necessary.

Certain ethernet switches and streamers can take an external 10M clock signal.

Make sure the outputs you get have the proper impedance for both the di20 (by default, 50-ohm) and r8 (75-ohm).
Do you know if the DI-20 can have a 75 ohm impedance?

Apr 21, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #10,283 of 11,305
Appreciate the input, this is all good to know. Also, would there be any benefit to upgrading to a square-wave output from sine-wave? That's another option available for the clock and wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make or if it was even necessary.

Do you know if the DI-20 can have a 75 ohm impedance?
Kingwa recommends square. Square is in theory better when using a superior cable. Sine can be better with a cheap cable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #10,284 of 11,305
Random: I am curious how much the R8H MK2 volume it outputs via ACSS to the headamp. Is it the 5V? - thats well over the "reference" isnt it?

My ears are very sensitive today and I listen around 15-20/100 with Susvara still flawless sound everything is there in the music, the lowend, everything.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I forgot that I had changed the hdmi from the cheap AQ to a ALIX pure silver 99.99. Hmm that might boosted the volume?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #10,286 of 11,305
Hello everyone,
I currently have the R2R-11 mk2 Full upgrade version that I use with Sennheiser 660s to listen to all kinds of genres (classical, progressive jazz, electronics) using Qobuz with Audirvana. This is for desktop exclusive use.

What would be your recommendation for an upgrade path ?
1) Upgrade the R2R-11 to the R27 RE, and then upgrade the headphones, or
2) Upgrade the headphones first, say to Focal Clear MG, Audeze LCD-X or HIFIMAN Arya.

Thanks for your help!

Apr 22, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #10,287 of 11,305
Hello everyone,
I currently have the R2R-11 mk2 Full upgrade version that I use with Sennheiser 660s to listen to all kinds of genres (classical, progressive jazz, electronics) using Qobuz with Audirvana. This is for desktop exclusive use.

2) Upgrade the headphones first, say to Focal Clear MG, Audeze LCD-X or HIFIMAN Arya.

Thanks for your help!
What kind of music, and do you want to stay with an all-in-one or do you consider separates?

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #10,288 of 11,305
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help!
What headphones are you currently using? For the most part, I think moving up to the headphones you mentioned will likely yield the biggest change for your listening. Once you have headphones on the level of the Clear or LCD-X I'd say the sky becomes the limit for the rest of your chain to an extent, especially if you are using EQ. When I first started out I had an HD6XX which I then upgraded to an LCD-2 which was probably one of the most significant upgrades I ever made. From there I moved up to a Master 19 and Bifrost 2 before I even considered upgrading my headphones again.

To summarize, depending on the headphones you're currently using, if they lack the technicalities to fully make use of an upgraded Amp/DAC, you won't have as great of price to performance increase compared to upgrading the headphones. This is just my take based on how I upgraded my system and where I saw the biggest changes.

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #10,289 of 11,305
What kind of music, and do you want to stay with an all-in-one or do you consider separates?
All kind of music! These days I am enjoying Gogo Penguin, Paolo Fresu, Nils Landgren, Jacob Karizon, Wolfgang Haffner, Lars Danielsson and Studnitzky. But I also like Tool, Tauk, Imagine Dragons, Hans Zimmer, Paramore and Ellie Goulding and Mark Knopfler ! I also like classical (Bartók, Schubert, Debussy, Bach, Bruckner, Stravinsky).

For the main system, I have a Gustard X18, a new Audio-gd preamp HE-1 LE and PS Audio M1200 mono-blocks that drive Martin Logan LS3 speakers.

I am just looking for an all-inclusive to be used with headphones on a desk next to the computer. Essentially an upgrade to the R2R-11 MK2 and Sennheiser 660s I currently use. Do I start with the headphones first and then improve on the R2R-11 later, when budget allows, or should I do the reverse and upgrade the R2R-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back