New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #10,261 of 11,321
I've just added an external clock to my R7HE and the DAC defaults back to the internal clock mode every time I power down the unit. I have to set to external each time.

Is this normal, it's a bit annoying?
Maybe its time up update the firmware:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Firmwaredownload.htm

My DI20HE and R8HEMK2 always connects to masterclock, when masterclock is on first.

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #10,262 of 11,321
I've just added an external clock to my R7HE and the DAC defaults back to the internal clock mode every time I power down the unit. I have to set to external each time.

Is this normal, it's a bit annoying?
I have a similar situation with my R8HE Mk2: every time I power it off, the setting changes to internal and I have to check every time I turn it on.. DI20HE works fine and keeps the setting no matter how many times you reboot it..
It bothered me a little first, now I simply don't care: it is just a matter of adding another button to the initial button pressing sequence..)

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #10,264 of 11,321
It's a 2020 edition R7HE. I leave the clock on 24/7 but always turn the DAC off after use.

It powers up with internal clock selected.

It doesn't have the most recent firmware so maybe I need to update it? Will email Kingwa.

You bought it used? Which unit do you turn off, the dac ? Or it is not the mkii?

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #10,265 of 11,321
Which version of FW are you using? I guess there is only one version that allows EC usage?
I updated it couple months ago, because it actually wasnt prepared for clock input.

Its the oct 21 version I guess.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #10,266 of 11,321
Both my MK2 DACs restore external clock IF the 10M clock signal is present at time of powering on the DAC AND external cock was selected on prior power cycle ELSE internal.

The DI20 used the operate like you describe - always booted internal clock. Had to change the DI20’s faceplate microcontroller f/w to fix.

My DI-20HE also retains the external setting, I haven't tried a clock with my DI-20.

Also, I'm on the latest DI-20 firmware on both boxes.

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #10,267 of 11,321
It's a 2020 edition R7HE. I leave the clock on 24/7 but always turn the DAC off after use.

It powers up with internal clock selected.

It doesn't have the most recent firmware so maybe I need to update it? Will email Kingwa.
You need to replace or to reprogram the mcu chip. A bit tricky if you don't have any hands-on. Email Kingwa to buy the new chip.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #10,270 of 11,321
It is on socket. If you ever removed chip, you should be fine.
Also note: It's worth buying the correct puller, they're normally cheap and save a lot of aggravation.

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #10,273 of 11,321
Alright on a 2019 R28, but likely has parralels with other units;

not sure if most users toyed with their respective modes:
NOS in 'mode 3' was so noticably an improvement for me, that I'd hardly call it the same DAC.

given how much fast A/B switching is required to spot 'small' differences with sub $1000 Delta/Sigmas' I have pitted against each other- the jump to mode 3 (vs mode 1) in NonOverSampling mode is significant (and exemplary/outstanding).

hmm I am 'verby'.

edit: and yes, volume 'bump' accounted for- stage and air noticably improved, as did instrument qualities.. although this was in DAC output mode (not 'pre-out') via Den stereo=>speakers..

R28 is probably the end of my kit shuffle for awhile.
(nabbing an adaptor tomkrrow to allow using 4.4mm pentaconn and 'journey done')

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #10,274 of 11,321
Alright on a 2019 R28, but likely has parralels with other units;

not sure if most users toyed with their respective modes:
NOS in 'mode 3' was so noticably an improvement for me, that I'd hardly call it the same DAC.

given how much fast A/B switching is required to spot 'small' differences with sub $1000 Delta/Sigmas' I have pitted against each other- the jump to mode 3 (vs mode 1) in NonOverSampling mode is significant (and exemplary/outstanding).

hmm I am 'verby'.

edit: and yes, volume 'bump' accounted for- stage and air noticably improved, as did instrument qualities.. although this was in DAC output mode (not 'pre-out') via Den stereo=>speakers..

R28 is probably the end of my kit shuffle for awhile.
(nabbing an adaptor tomkrrow to allow using 4.4mm pentaconn and 'journey done')
You mean NO3. Highest is 8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back