New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 22, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #10,081 of 11,260
It used to be the default setup for balanced connection until it was replaced with the more economical 4 pin XLR.
You still can find the OGs using 2x3 pin XLR Cardas Clear balanced cable with their HD800s.

I personally prefer to see the mk2 amplifiers switched to the 4.4 mm Pentaconn jack. It’s more relevant with the current market.
Hmmm you gaved me an Idea now.

XLR(LR) - 4.4mm female

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #10,082 of 11,260
Hmmm you gaved me an Idea now.

XLR(LR) - 4.4mm female

Don't do it, Buddy. XLR connectors are your friend. TRRRRRRRRS is for DAPs :wink:

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #10,083 of 11,260
Yeah, if balanced connections did nothing, they would still be worth it for the locking, non-shorting connectors.

I like BNC connectors for the same reason. Headphone plugs, RCA cables, right out!

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #10,084 of 11,260
Don't do it, Buddy. XLR connectors are your friend. TRRRRRRRRS is for DAPs
I use an 4.4 to 4 pin XLR adaptor (of good quality, without any wires) and order cables with 4.4 jack, which could be used both for a DAP and the Audio GD rig (through the adapter). This comes handy with the Stellia in particular as it sounds great from both sources due to high sensitivity. For the Susvara this approach wouldn't make much sense at all though :wink:

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #10,085 of 11,260
Because the DI20HE/R8HE MK2 is soo balanced and perfect, I really see it shines through my Susvara.
BTW, have you tried your Susvara on other systems (to understand if your HE9LE powers it up sufficiently well)? I like the headphone and would even consider buying it (with the right discount) knowing that it is thoroughly handled by the HE9 Mk2 in my case. I'm pretty sure I will get at least 95% of the performance, but what about the remaining 5%? )

Mar 23, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #10,086 of 11,260
BTW, have you tried your Susvara on other systems (to understand if your HE9LE powers it up sufficiently well)? I like the headphone and would even consider buying it (with the right discount) knowing that it is thoroughly handled by the HE9 Mk2 in my case. I'm pretty sure I will get at least 95% of the performance, but what about the remaining 5%? )
If we throw Ferrum OOR away like builtin amps will sound better on cheaper dacs imo.

I find it like an experience every weekend when I put on the Susvara on my system. This experience is on not even 30% of the volume. When I raise the volume it keeps getting wider and wider, not annoyingly/centered = weak. Around 60/100 where my damage limit is I still wanna turn the volume more up, because its so delightful. No harshness. Its seducing with HE9-LE

I have maybe an arrangement of trying Enleum one day, but not sure.

So my experience is not based on much. However I find the HE9 better sounding than the SE port, on my TT2 from the XLR. The hype says otherwise with external amp, that the SE port is better.

EDIT: The level of details Susvara has is unmatched. I was angry when I first bought(hype)… it took me 400hours to hear the difference, because I was tuned to the Arya.

I hope the next headphone from Hifiman base on both SusArya

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #10,088 of 11,260
Short said I would emphasize on DAC rather than HEADAMP

I heard the TT2 today with HE9, even though it had a better sound to my liking, I can not ever recommend TT2 for Susvara. Arya wins over Susvara on TT2 + HE9LE

But Susvara on my AGD system is another dimension.

EDIT: Saying this knowing that the TT2 got a sweet upgrade in sound from the DI20HE with coax cable. INDEED

And if you want a little different perspective on the TT2: This is with SE cable
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/song-i-use-to-compare-my-dacs-mostly-tt2-and-r8hemk2.967473/

EDIT2: I am enjoying Susvara between 25/35 - out of the 100 volume

(I am the one who practice the volume low as possble.)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #10,089 of 11,260
(truly sorry this was a private message mistakenly put here)

Sorry for spam :pray:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #10,090 of 11,260
Might be a tough question to answer, but if I had to choose between a used 2021 R7 or the new R8HE MK3 direct from Audio-gd, which would be the better buy? The used R7 is significantly less (around $1000), but I'm curious if anyone would think that the new R8HE MK3 would provide an overall better quality of audio. Not sure if there's a big difference between the sound of the two DACs, but I mainly listen to hard rock, metal, EDM with classic rock sprinkled in so if there's any recommendations for which would compliment my music more, please let me know!

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #10,091 of 11,260
Just to answer my own query (as I do from time to time when I get more insight on my own), I will cite Kingwa's reply to my related question:

Dear Alex,
The HE9 MK2 has enough power and gain that can drive the Susvara to its full potential , when the DAC is high end level .
Kingwa

I decided not to bother Kingwa with additional questions re: the DAC. I just hope that the combo of DI20HE and R8HE Mk2 falls into this high end category. )

Mar 24, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #10,092 of 11,260
I've been experimenting (again!) with different sources and the best USB signal I could get in my system was coming from a portable DAP (AK SE200) closely followed by Mac Mini (Roon). As much as I like the slightly euphonic sound of AK, the idea of constantly running a battery powered device is not gonna fly for multiple reasons. Is there any better option that wouldn't cost an arm and leg and will confidently outperform the two options above?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #10,093 of 11,260
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #10,094 of 11,260
On a serious thought I would consider buying or maybe waiting for a R27 series.

I mean if all kingwas AIO has internally connected acss. This is going to be hard to beat.
-and if you can get a upgrade option from magnahifi or other this will be very interesting

HE-9LE had some very few changes before replacing the M9. It is said the internal amp/27 is very close to M9.

obvious recommendation from me without trying = R27.

———

The volume experience between TT2/XLR vs R8HEMK2/ACSS is day an night. ACSS just feel more tight and firm. TT2/XLR more loose, like a gardenhose with weak pressure of water.

_______

I am aiming for a R27 series myself and I am going to get it one day so I can confirm my thought on this

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #10,095 of 11,260
I decided not to bother Kingwa with additional questions re: the DAC. I just hope that the combo of DI20HE and R8HE Mk2 falls into this high end category. )

One thing I noticed between my dacs is low volume on both susvara and arya. The R8HE MK2(DI20HE, HE-9 LE, Clock, ACSS interconnect) I can hear everything smoothly on 27/100(Susvara) now drinking my coffee. If it gets more highend than this for double the price, I wanna know, maybe tripple price will be at same class.

TT2 is also good at low, but it is related to the "compressed/effect" that has something to do with the supercaps or just the character itself, but the imbalance of the stereo image and levels of the sub/low bass is fainting away. With AGD I hear them firm as if I would do as the volume was double as high! - nothing is taking away.

____

The last couple of month I have trained my ears to go lower in volume, before when I first had the TT2 and HE9LE I would crank the volume to 60/70 our of 100(Susvara XLR4pin).

I noticed something about Susvara, and specially this headphone. When my ears was at the most comfort volume, like no effort to listen to all the stereo/spectrum, like hearing the planar panels when the drums hits, right at that sweetspot, its like hearing the physical feel of the instruments. This sweetspot is truly an experience! in this moment, I am at 27/100 on some Cafe Del Mar collection - The Suns of Afterlife(By Bliss).

- My addiction of turning the volume up all the time when I heard something that I liked more, went away - Im simply listening now

(streaming from NAS with Foobar2000 and the volume is 0dB and I am not even using EQ or ASIO)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back