New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 15, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #10,051 of 11,301
Do you feel it improve the RME on the warm/analog side?

My reason is:
Chord TT2 driver is soo frustrating, when using other dacs too on the same pc....

DI20HE is going to eliminate and replace that part. My expectations is, I hope it does not "bottlenecks" the DI20HE in any aspects.
I think bad USB is a known thing with Chord. I expect you will be very happy out of the DI-20HE.

I am not really sure how to describe the difference running the RME off the DI-20 as opposed to USB. I think it sounds pretty transparent over coax and I'm not sure there was much difference. I have been lucky to have PCs that are not noisy.

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #10,052 of 11,301
Greetings from Finland :beerchug:
I´m thinking of replacing my GoldPlanar GL2000 double magnet headphones and have been wondering around Hifiman Arya Stealth and Audeze LCD-X.
I´m mainly using my Audio-GD R27 2021 for planars and now wondering about pairing. Does anyone have Audio-GD gear and one of mentioned headphones? Even better if someone has both...thoughts needed / would be appreciated :L3000: I have no chance to test those cans with my gear.

These would mainly be used with metal / electronic music.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #10,053 of 11,301
These would mainly be used with metal / electronic music.

The Arya is a good pairing. You may wish to consider the HE6se also. It's great with electronic and metal with either the stock cable or a good copper cable. Especially for electronic music the copper cable is lovely.

The Arya is a better all around headphone.

But you have something very few others have for the HE6se....tons of power and control.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #10,054 of 11,301
Thank you Peter for your input, funny that you mentioned copper cable, me being cheap old fart was thinking of ordering maybe Claire HPC Mk2 or Noir HPC Mk2 from Forza AudioWorks, I wouldn´t have to order 4 cables just two (balanced XLR and single ended 6,3) if I choose LCD-X. My ZMF´s would work with the same cables:thinking:

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #10,055 of 11,301
The Arya is a good pairing. You may wish to consider the HE6se also. It's great with electronic and metal with either the stock cable or a good copper cable. Especially for electronic music the copper cable is lovely.

The Arya is a better all around headphone.
Generally agree, but for some it may come across too bright.. In my case I could relax listening only after changing the stock pads.. otherwise the highs were just unbearable for my ears..

In my case so far Stellia (stock pads) is number one.. it is a bit warm yet very lively and resolving.. quite often I just forget it is closed design so wide and open sounding it is with my rig..

Good old HE 500 are less resolving than the Arya, but provide the right timbre and that heavy magnet authority that is no longer available in the new models like the Arya Stealth.. The mids of the HE 500 are very tastefully done.

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #10,056 of 11,301
@AudioAlex I had problems back in the day with T1 2.Gen, I couldn´t even use them with SS amps, only with tubes and even that was so and so. Those were too bright / piercing for me. If the Aryas are in the same neighbourhood that is a deal braker...

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #10,057 of 11,301
I've been experimenting with my rig recently and came to the conclusion that R8HE Mk2 no longer requires the service of DI20HE.. it just provides better sound on its own (at least in my case).. Having said that, the DAC still benefits considerably from an external clock..

DI20HE, in my opinion, works best with lower level AG gear: for R28 it was a step up in terms of performance. With R8HE Mk2 I feel that I even loose some transparency with DI20HE ..

Mac Mini (Roon) -> DI20HE ->R8HE Mk2 -> HE9 Mk2 -> Focal Stellia

Mar 17, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #10,058 of 11,301
@AudioAlex I had problems back in the day with T1 2.Gen, I couldn´t even use them with SS amps, only with tubes and even that was so and so. Those were too bright / piercing for me. If the Aryas are in the same neighbourhood that is a deal braker...
I would still encourage you to try them .. The headphones are very good, but not for everyone.. I've played a lot with cables and pads before I managed to achieve the optimal sound..

Mar 17, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #10,059 of 11,301
I've been experimenting with my rig recently and came to the conclusion that R8HE Mk2 no longer requires the service of DI20HE.. it just provides better sound on its own (at least in my case).. Having said that, the DAC still benefits considerably from an external clock..

DI20HE, in my opinion, works best with lower level AG gear: for R28 it was a step up in terms of performance. With R8HE Mk2 I feel that I even loose some transparency with DI20HE ..

Mac Mini (Roon) -> DI20HE ->R8HE Mk2 -> HE9 Mk2 -> Focal Stellia
Interesting. Did you use i2s?

Did you update the firmware on your R8HE MK2?

Also how is you chain, acss?

Too me the DI20HE adds more music/rythm and thicker sound than R8HE MK2 alone.
———-
I have the Chord TT2, and I actually feel details are more pronounced with the DI20HE.

But I kinda get what you mean now, from memory it was a little harsher/sharper/clearer=thinner in the high without DI20HE, which did some analog saturation and added musicality. A while ago I did some side by side with TT2 VS DI20HE + R8HEMK2(bothed clocked) for a couple of hours …. AGD was better on every aspect, it did not lag details. I still expect the R8HEMK2 to be better than TT2 alone. Im excited to try this comparison when I have the time.

Right now Im awaiting coax cable to confirm if the DI20HE also adds this magic to the TT2
https://www.atlascables.com/ic-digital-hyper-achromatic-rca-bnc.html

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #10,060 of 11,301
I would still encourage you to try them .. The headphones are very good, but not for everyone.. I've played a lot with cables and pads before I managed to achieve the optimal sound..
Agree that finding the right balance is tough. These did it for me. Average speed but clean and balanced from top to bottom, with meat on the bone.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4001058583370.html

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #10,061 of 11,301
nteresting. Did you use i2s?

Did you update the firmware on your R8HE MK2?

Also how is you chain, acss?
I2s AVPlay silver cable

Yes, I did.. the one allowing the use of external clock input

ACSS in-between the DAC and the AMP

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #10,062 of 11,301
Thank you Peter for your input, funny that you mentioned copper cable, me being cheap old fart was thinking of ordering maybe Claire HPC Mk2 or Noir HPC Mk2 from Forza AudioWorks, I wouldn´t have to order 4 cables just two (balanced XLR and single ended 6,3) if I choose LCD-X. My ZMF´s would work with the same cables:thinking:
Cheap old farts can't afford Forza cables.

Look for skyaudiocables ebay store

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #10,064 of 11,301
That I do not recognize. Here the DI20HE still means a considerable step up in that combo.
I do agree that with DI20HE the sound is more refined.. but I have a feeling that with this refinement some magic is lost..

I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion.

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #10,065 of 11,301
I do agree that with DI20HE the sound is more refined.. but I have a feeling that with this refinement some magic is lost..

I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion.
You are not wrong for liking it without DI20HE. I actually like these critical thoughts on sound. As an example the first thing my senses captured from listening to the R8HEMK2 was how fast it responded, very energetic to the rythm, but DI20HE seemed to relax the rythm some more. This does not mean the DI20HE is better, its taste.

What type of music do you like?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back