New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 11, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #9,526 of 11,260
They told me that this is not easy for them to do, so I kept it that way. They only changed the impedance internally.
The fact that Magna, LHY and Beatechnik all confirmed that this should be no problem reassures me. I for once avoided the OCD that I am naturally prone to.
Ok so you also ordered the 75Ohm?

Dec 11, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #9,527 of 11,260
Ok so you also ordered the 75Ohm?

I should have been more precise. I originally ordered the 75 Ohm 10 MHz clock input from Kingwa and it came with a genuine 75 Ohm connector. When I later wanted the word clock output to be converted from 50 to 75 Ohm, Magna Hifi did that for me but did not touch the 50 Ohm type connector. I hope I am not adding to the confusion.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #9,528 of 11,260
I just talked with Magna. They ordered it and the connectors are what I want = 75Ohm.

Sorry for the confusion🙏

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #9,529 of 11,260
Just wants to thank @msing539 for letting me borrow his transparent audio cable for troubleshooting that dsd issue.

It works well and it sounds better than the avplay cable but unfortunately, it was too short for my setup.

He is selling this if anyone is interested in this cable. It works with pcm and dsd from audio-gd di20 > r8mk2.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #9,530 of 11,260
Greetings again from Finland!

I recieved the R-27 2021 and have been fiddling with it for a few days; I must say that money well spent! Still a lot burning in to do but the initial "harshnes" seems to fade after the unit has warmed up. The menu / doing changes takes few trials and errors still and getting used to :L3000: I´m using Denafrips Iris now trough I²S and seems to be working fine. Feeding the Iris from iFi Zen Stream trough USB. One thing I noticed that if I turn the Zen Stream of while listening I get really high pitc noise/signal trough the speakers/headphones, that scared me in the first time!

Also I´m happy to report that the USB Blaster thingy and update software works fine in Windows 11 64bit. I´m not sure what FPGA firmware was in the R-27 initially but at least it is now R2721M21_1013. I really can´t tell much about the audible changes that might have happened because the gear is so new, might play a bit quieter than before:thinking:

Now I´m going back and forth thinkin of replacing the Denafrips Iris with DI-20 or DI-20 HE:sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #9,531 of 11,260
Have a small request, maybe by any chance could anyone check their audio gd dac bnc connector. Is center pin shorted with outer shell? I mean when i check with multimeter, for me it shows that ground and center pin are connected. Don't know if it should be like that or my dac part for bnc out is faulty.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #9,532 of 11,260
Greetings again from Finland!

I recieved the R-27 2021 and have been fiddling with it for a few days; I must say that money well spent! Still a lot burning in to do but the initial "harshnes" seems to fade after the unit has warmed up. The menu / doing changes takes few trials and errors still and getting used to :L3000: I´m using Denafrips Iris now trough I²S and seems to be working fine. Feeding the Iris from iFi Zen Stream trough USB. One thing I noticed that if I turn the Zen Stream of while listening I get really high pitc noise/signal trough the speakers/headphones, that scared me in the first time!

Also I´m happy to report that the USB Blaster thingy and update software works fine in Windows 11 64bit. I´m not sure what FPGA firmware was in the R-27 initially but at least it is now R2721M21_1013. I really can´t tell much about the audible changes that might have happened because the gear is so new, might play a bit quieter than before:thinking:

Now I´m going back and forth thinkin of replacing the Denafrips Iris with DI-20 or DI-20 HE:sweat_smile:
Are you saying audio is streaming through Zstream while you are shutting it off?

Thats not healthy

EDIT: I have done this with other device before. I just dont think its good to keep doing

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #9,533 of 11,260
Have a small request, maybe by any chance could anyone check their audio gd dac bnc connector. Is center pin shorted with outer shell? I mean when i check with multimeter, for me it shows that ground and center pin are connected. Don't know if it should be like that or my dac part for bnc out is faulty.
I will do this when I get mine in two weeks. I ordered 75Ohm connectors on R8HE mk2 and DI20HE

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #9,535 of 11,260

They cannot be shorted, but maybe when the device is off something is shorted to ground?

Oops, @jimmychan already answered.

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #9,536 of 11,260
Are you saying audio is streaming through Zstream while you are shutting it off?

Thats not healthy

EDIT: I have done this with other device before. I just dont think its good to keep doing
Yes, that is the case unfortunatelly; I was going to shut of the lights on Zen Stream to listen music in darknes and I accidently turned the streamer off. Wrong button, and the unit has only 2 buttons to press in the front:confounded: The high pitch sound was not pleasant and shutting the streamer before the R-27, or any amp, is not the correct way it seems! To be avoided!

Dec 12, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #9,538 of 11,260
The reason I asked is: when ock-1 is switched off, bnc connected to agd, everything is ok with the sound, but when i switch on clock, sound becomes like out of phase. Even when dac is on internal clock.
Trying to understand the reason.
There is a cycle to this.

First thing to turn on is ock1. Then the rest. At last source/pc/streamer.

Example could be: turn on

1. Master clock
2. DDC
3. DAC
4. AMP
5. Source

Example could be: turn off

1. Turn down/off AMP
2. Source
3. DAC
4. DDC
5. Master clock