New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 8, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #8,266 of 11,324
Yeah.. current thinking is to keep the DI-20 in my chain. Go USB from the Lumin to the DI-20 and I2S from the DI-20 to the R7HE.
The r7he does a fantastic job with most sources cause it does not use the clock of the incoming signal. Still, differences can be heard between sources, but they are generally small.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #8,267 of 11,324
The r7he does a fantastic job with most sources cause it does not use the clock of the incoming signal. Still, differences can be heard between sources, but they are generally small.
My concern is that I don't have the 2021 upgrade on the R7HE USB. It's the 2019 implementation whereas I do have the 2021 I2S upgrade. I'm not sure how it would sound direct USB from the Lumin to the R7HE USB vs: Lumin -> (USB) -> DI-20 -> (I2S) -> R7HE (2019 model)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #8,269 of 11,324
Which would be a better purchase for clean power: the IsoTek Aquarius Evo 3 (conditioner) or the PS Audio Powerplant 3 (power Regen)?

I'm thinking the DI-20 (non-HE) will benefit from one of these devices, as well as the Kinki amp and Lumin streamer.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #8,270 of 11,324
Which would be a better purchase for clean power: the IsoTek Aquarius Evo 3 (conditioner) or the PS Audio Powerplant 3 (power Regen)?

I'm thinking the DI-20 (non-HE) will benefit from one of these devices, as well as the Kinki amp and Lumin streamer.
Probably the best idea is to invite @sajunky for tea and let him hear your system. If he hears a problem he will be able to fix it.

It will be good! But it won't be cheap :wink:

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #8,271 of 11,324

Powerplant for your low power devices (i.e. DI-20 or streamer), conditioner for your amp. Although it's simply the best to simply plug your amp into the wall, while conditioners can respond better than AC regen to changes in load, nothing beats directly to the wall for dynamics. Both will add some colour to your sound, so manufacturer built-in regen is always best since they can tweak out the signature added by your power treatment.

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #8,272 of 11,324
Just in:
Kingwa will start the work to add the 10M clock input to the R8 on Monday.
By replacing the coax input with 75ohm BNC the existing feed into the board will accept the 10M clock.
I couldn't be more delighted. :)
Hope kingwa would offer the external clock addition to other R8 owners. I am using R8HE 2021. i would also want it if cost is reaasonable.

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #8,273 of 11,324
Hope kingwa would offer the external clock addition to other R8 owners. I am using R8HE 2021. i would also want it if cost is reaasonable.
I hope Kingwa will offer an external clock! i would also want it if cost is reaasonable. :)

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #8,274 of 11,324
Kingwa mentioned he would do it at no cost where a FW update, in the works, would be provided from his end, and the coax SPDIF jack replacement to 75ohm BNC would be my [the owner's] responsibility. I have no further details and am waiting for a follow up from him.
It would be nice for the input to toggle between SPDIF input and Clock Reference, not that I use the coax SPDIF input or have knowledge whether there could be data degradation using a RCA to BNC converter [Wadia used to provide them with their DACs when they only provided BNC inputs], but I am just happy that we'll get a clock reference input. Not to mention my appreciation of Kingwa fitting it in to the schedule....

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #8,275 of 11,324
Kingwa mentioned he would do it at no cost where a FW update, in the works, would be provided from his end, and the coax SPDIF jack replacement to 75ohm BNC would be my [the owner's] responsibility. I have no further details and am waiting for a follow up from him.
It would be nice for the input to toggle between SPDIF input and Clock Reference, not that I use the coax SPDIF input or have knowledge whether there could be data degradation using a RCA to BNC converter [Wadia used to provide them with their DACs when they only provided BNC inputs], but I am just happy that we'll get a clock reference input. Not to mention my appreciation of Kingwa fitting it in to the schedule....
Excellent news, I will ask Kingwa to get the FW for my R8HE 2021 too when it is available. Keep us posted.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #8,276 of 11,324
Excellent news, I will ask Kingwa to get the FW for my R8HE 2021 too when it is available. Keep us posted.
Kingwa is working on the logistics to test out the new FW. He will post it on the website when available....

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:28 PM Post #8,277 of 11,324
The Lumin U1 Mini arrived. What a stunning transport. It is quite evident that its super powers lie in the magical ways in which it shuffles the 1's and 0's to present the music in such a cohesive, exquisite, and yet delicate manner. I kicked off on USB from the Lumin to the DI-20, and didn't bother to go coax or other, such is it's beauty over USB. Needless to say, the DI-20 is not going anywhere - it proves its worth time and time again. Thanks for the advice earlier in this thread.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #8,278 of 11,324
Friends! I turned to Kingwa about the fact that after updating the firmware on the audio gd r7 he mkii, the bass became noticeably less. For me, in most cases, this is very noticeable. Kingwa's answer: "I will try to add more bass in the next firmware version." Considering how Kingva treats us, fans of his work, and always thinks a lot about us, I'm sure we'll be waiting for a good bass soon!

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #8,279 of 11,324
I'm the world's worst photographer but at least I have some Audio-gd gear :D

1644867201887.png

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #8,280 of 11,324
Friends! I turned to Kingwa about the fact that after updating the firmware on the audio gd r7 he mkii, the bass became noticeably less. For me, in most cases, this is very noticeable. Kingwa's answer: "I will try to add more bass in the next firmware version." Considering how Kingva treats us, fans of his work, and always thinks a lot about us, I'm sure we'll be waiting for a good bass soon!
Yes indeed. Or i would say the sound got leaner. This sort of thing happens sometimes when jitter is reduced. The bass can become cleaner and seem less abundant. Likely that it bleeds less into upper bass.

I compensated by swapping power cord here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back