New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 11, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #7,353 of 11,260
IMG_20210711_122400.jpg

IMG_20210711_122316.jpg

Finally, my all HE AGD setup was completed by the end of June. Di20HE, R7HE2021, HE1, HE2MK2, LP-1HE MC.

I sold my 10years old reference 1 and bought the R7he last Xmas, bought the Di 20he this March and ordered the LP 1, HE1, HE2MK2 at April. LP 1 and He1 came at 22 June, HE2MK2 arrived one week later.

Before I order the AGD preamp and power amp, I sold my McIntosh C500T and MC501s. In the last three months, I was quite nervous that if I made a right decision.

After I listened to the new gears played 1 minutes, a big smile on my face. The AGD setup was totally not at same league with my old McIntosh setup. The transparency, soundstage, extension at both end etc, almost everything were satisfied.

The LP 1 is also very nice. I don't have much experience with the phono preamp. I only used to have musical fedility M6 phono, ear 834p , and internal phono stage in McIntosh C500t.I think the LP 1 still is the best phono I had compare to my memory. Of course, I could not compare them use the same equipment side by side. But the LP 1 has a very quiet background, very transparent and detailed, the bass is deep and tight with micro details. The dynamic is good enough for symphony. The gain is ok. I use Hana ML 0.4mv cartridge, I set the gain at 0.3mv and have to turn the he1 to 48 to get the same volume at 38 with the ascc input from R7he. But even with higher volume, the background is still quiet.

The AGD acss cables are already beat my expensive neotech nei1001 and Audio sensibility signature OCC silver XLR by a mile. I only switched them twice and then never go back. The acss on the LP 1 I only tried once, the volume was too low, I will check this again later.

I am not good at describing the sound signature . I will try my best later.

Now, I have to go to get my second mederna shot .

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #7,355 of 11,260

Finally, my all HE AGD setup was completed by the end of June. Di20HE, R7HE2021, HE1, HE2MK2, LP-1HE MC.

I sold my 10years old reference 1 and bought the R7he last Xmas, bought the Di 20he this March and ordered the LP 1, HE1, HE2MK2 at April. LP 1 and He1 came at 22 June, HE2MK2 arrived one week later.

Before I order the AGD preamp and power amp, I sold my McIntosh C500T and MC501s. In the last three months, I was quite nervous that if I made a right decision.

After I listened to the new gears played 1 minutes, a big smile on my face. The AGD setup was totally not at same league with my old McIntosh setup. The transparency, soundstage, extension at both end etc, almost everything were satisfied.

The LP 1 is also very nice. I don't have much experience with the phono preamp. I only used to have musical fedility M6 phono, ear 834p , and internal phono stage in McIntosh C500t.I think the LP 1 still is the best phono I had compare to my memory. Of course, I could not compare them use the same equipment side by side. But the LP 1 has a very quiet background, very transparent and detailed, the bass is deep and tight with micro details. The dynamic is good enough for symphony. The gain is ok. I use Hana ML 0.4mv cartridge, I set the gain at 0.3mv and have to turn the he1 to 48 to get the same volume at 38 with the ascc input from R7he. But even with higher volume, the background is still quiet.

The AGD acss cables are already beat my expensive neotech nei1001 and Audio sensibility signature OCC silver XLR by a mile. I only switched them twice and then never go back. The acss on the LP 1 I only tried once, the volume was too low, I will check this again later.

What a setup! You have the same oppo drive i have. Sounds just great feeding the r7he mkii.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #7,356 of 11,260
@GU1DO Haven't compared the latest M7S 2021 but have several older M7s and recently upgraded one to 2020. So not a fair comparison as my M7s I/O boards are very much out of date with what is delivered today. So comparing he R7HE mk2 to S7 2020 (M7S) with old I/O boards is not entirely fair. But in general the later R2R models have more detail and low level resolution while the M7s have slightly thicker mids. I still use my oldest Master 7S (2013 with updates) in my computer setup and still very pleasing to listen and use.

Kingwa told me he could build a M7S(HE) with a Mk2 digital board and latest I/Os. If I was rich I would order one and sell my other three DACs (M7S, S7 2020, and R7 2019). But the R7HE mk2 is reigning king of my four AGD DACs. Tremendous sounding DAC and very expressive. Highly recommended. Kingwa's crowning achievement in a DAC.
Would that price for that Master 7SHE, that would possess that MK2 digital board, and that would possess those most recent inputs, and those most recent outputs, be more than that amount of money that you possibly would be able to receive, in that case that you would be able to sell those other, three, DACs, that you, currently, possess?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #7,357 of 11,260
IMG_20210711_122400.jpg

IMG_20210711_122316.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, you have the Line Magnetic LM-219, isn't it?

How do you find it vs the Audio-GD HE2MK2 monoblocks?

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #7,358 of 11,260
Would that price for that Master 7SHE, that would possess that MK2 digital board, and that would possess those most recent inputs, and those most recent outputs, be more than that amount of money that you possibly would be able to receive, in that case that you would be able to sell those other, three, DACs, that you, currently, possess?
No, I don’t think so. Just being realistic. The three DACs may get me to 75-80% value of the M7SHE mk2 if similar in price to the 2021 model. The DACs are old and not pristine chassis condition so won’t fetch top dollar.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #7,359 of 11,260
If I'm not mistaken, you have the Line Magnetic LM-219, isn't it?

How do you find it vs the Audio-GD HE2MK2 monoblocks?
The LM219 is another great amp from China, but it sounds different with He1 and HE2MK2. For my ear the 219 has less tube sound than other tube amp. It is more like the Audio Research sound but with more energy and bass. Compare with HE2MK2, (use 219 as power amp driven by HE1), the 219 has a slight thicker and warmer mids, the vocal is smoother and fuller. It clearly pull the singer one step towards to the front and even has better imaging. This also makes the soundstage deeper. Other than this, HE2MK2 wins everything. The 219 surprised has a lot of bass, but a little fat. It seems like the bass is exaggerated on purpose so that it sounds unreal and blurre. The bass from HE2MK2 is much better defined, deep, tight, fast but with texture and micro details. I can see the vibration of the drum surface.

The treble from HE2MK2 is fabulous. It extends to so high without any harsh or dazzling, the very tiny end point is still rounded instead of sharp. Very time I heard this, a smile will appear on my face. The highs of 219 also very good, but the HE2MK2 just extends 2 inches longer.

The AGD setup's pace and rhythm are much better than the tube, sometimes it makes me want to dance or rock following the music. This feeling usually won't come from the 219ia.

In my opinion, the most strengths of the AGD setup is the transparency, there's nothing between me and music, nothing covered or blurred. So there's quite a lot micro details were discovered or more noticeable. The soundstage is 2 feet wider, the image are pin focused.

The sound signature from the AGD setup is strengthful, dynamic, fast , transparent, supper detailed, clean without any color. It bright but no unpleasant harsh or dazzling at all . The body is not lean or cold even with some warmness . I think this is called neutral by Kingwa or analog by somebody.

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,360 of 11,260
IMG_20210711_122400.jpg

IMG_20210711_122316.jpg

Amazing system. How do you like the HE-2 MK2? I have the Master 2H and have been considering the HE-2 MK2.

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #7,361 of 11,260
@GU1DO Haven't compared the latest M7S 2021 but have several older M7s and recently upgraded one to 2020. So not a fair comparison as my M7s I/O boards are very much out of date with what is delivered today. So comparing he R7HE mk2 to S7 2020 (M7S) with old I/O boards is not entirely fair. But in general the later R2R models have more detail and low level resolution while the M7s have slightly thicker mids. I still use my oldest Master 7S (2013 with updates) in my computer setup and still very pleasing to listen and use.

Kingwa told me he could build a M7S(HE) with a Mk2 digital board and latest I/Os. If I was rich I would order one and sell my other three DACs (M7S, S7 2020, and R7 2019). But the R7HE mk2 is reigning king of my four AGD DACs. Tremendous sounding DAC and very expressive. Highly recommended. Kingwa's crowning achievement in a DAC.
Thanks for the reply ,, then i guess i should look for the Holo May for a side upgrade/flavor ,, Thanks again.

Jul 12, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #7,362 of 11,260
Amazing system. How do you like the HE-2 MK2? I have the Master 2H
I like the HE2MK2 very much. Unfortunately, I hadn't own any AGD power amp before, so that I can't tell any difference between HE2MK2 and 2H.

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #7,363 of 11,260
High-pitched screech
Sorry if this intermittent bug(?) was covered, I couldn’t find it…
Sometimes when switching between sampling rates (PCM or DSD, I think?), music is replaced with a high pitched screech. It’s not exactly white noise, as it’s not hash, but a clearer treble tone.

Has anyone had this issue?
Could it be related to my old firmware?

I have a 2019 R-27 that was upgraded by Magna Hifi. I’m using the F1 Singxer (XMOS 208) USB input. I am using MPD through GentooPlayer and thought that was the likely culprit, but nobody else using it seems to have that issue (that I found).

Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers, Luke

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #7,364 of 11,260
I like the HE2MK2 very much. Unfortunately, I hadn't own any AGD power amp before, so that I can't tell any difference between HE2MK2 and 2H.
The mkii is mostly about the pre stage being fed with regen power so it should bring extra details, lower noise floor, smoother sound.
High-pitched screech
Sorry if this intermittent bug(?) was covered, I couldn’t find it…
Sometimes when switching between sampling rates (PCM or DSD, I think?), music is replaced with a high pitched screech. It’s not exactly white noise, as it’s not hash, but a clearer treble tone.

Has anyone had this issue?
Could it be related to my old firmware?

I have a 2019 R-27 that was upgraded by Magna Hifi. I’m using the F1 Singxer (XMOS 208) USB input. I am using MPD through GentooPlayer and thought that was the likely culprit, but nobody else using it seems to have that issue (that I found).

Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers, Luke
Thr glitch when switching from dsd to pcm is something Kingwa is still trying to fix. It has to do with the amanero usb board. So hopefully a solution will come.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #7,365 of 11,260
Thanks Fred!
I’m not using the Amanero USB board (but the F1 Singer/XMOS 208), but it may well be the same or related issue.

I have tried to increase the buffer time in MPD, but that doesn’t seem to help.

Given that my old R-27 is slightly different to current builds, is it still possible for me to update the firmware? (Hoping the only glitch would be allocating a different input number or something).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back