New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 28, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #7,321 of 11,296
What are the differences between Schiit Yggdrasil 2 (the newest) and Audio GD R7 HE MK2? What's the best?

The R7HE 2021 has discernably more microdetail resolution than the Yggy2 I owned. They're both slightly soft-sounding, particularly in the bass (hope to fix that with an external clock). The R7HE has a taller, wider and especially deeper soundstage. In terms of tonal balance, the audio-gd is more extended up top but a bit smoother. I feel the R7HE has a more realistic and upfront midrange too. Bass SPL and extension are similar on both with the Yggy2 emphasizing the midbass a little more.

Edit: the background of the R7HE is significantly darker/better. Couldn't omit this key info

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #7,322 of 11,296
The R7HE 2021 has discernably more microdetail resolution than the Yggy2 I owned. They're both slightly soft-sounding, particularly in the bass (hope to fix that with an external clock). The R7HE has a taller, wider and especially deeper soundstage. In terms of tonal balance, the audio-gd is more extended up top but a bit smoother. I feel the R7HE has a more realistic and upfront midrange too. Bass SPL and extension are similar on both with the Yggy2 emphasizing the midbass a little more.

Edit: the background of the R7HE is significantly darker/better. Couldn't omit this key info
As for the discourse of naturalness and the realism of sound, wouldn't a Sabre be better?
R2Rs tend to add soft-sounding, which isn't there in reality.
What is best dac between NFB7.77, D-77 and R-7 HE?

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #7,323 of 11,296
As for the discourse of naturalness and the realism of sound, wouldn't a Sabre be better?
The Sabre sound amazingly well but are not as good with timbres and attacks. They sound a bit synthetic with pcm files. To me, the r2r are overall more natural and lifelike with pcm. The r7he will sound equally well with older and newer recordings. The Sabre will highlight the defects more.
Hooked up to an excellent 10M clock, the r7he mkii does not concede much to a Sabre in terms of resolution and is even more analog. You can listen to it all day long.

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #7,324 of 11,296
The Sabre sound amazingly well but are not as good with timbres and attacks. They sound a bit synthetic with pcm files. To me, the r2r are overall more natural and lifelike with pcm. The r7he will sound equally well with older and newer recordings. The Sabre will highlight the defects more.
Hooked up to an excellent 10M clock, the r7he mkii does not concede much to a Sabre in terms of resolution and is even more analog. You can listen to it all day long.
Is Mutec REF 10 black okay?
How is Mutec REF 10 black connected to R7 HE?

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #7,330 of 11,296
Between a Daphile and USB input versus
RPI + Reclocker + HDMI LVDS input

on a R7HE21. Which setup would be better ? I'm currently using Daphile USB and was wondering about RPI to have I2S...

Thanks.
The i2s signal has to be of good quality otherwise usb should be better. I2s will sound better than usb using the r7he for instance.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #7,331 of 11,296
Between a Daphile and USB input versus
RPI + Reclocker + HDMI LVDS input

on a R7HE21. Which setup would be better ? I'm currently using Daphile USB and was wondering about RPI to have I2S...

Thanks.
You’ll need a very good Linear power supply for your PI and Reclocker, ideally two different ones or two rails….the Allo Kali is a cost effective possibility with an audio-gd HDMI LVDS output board, or the IAN Canada FIFOPI Q3 with upgraded clocks (Accusilicons 90/98MHz) pair would be even better with an HDMIpi MK2 for the LVDS output….already a quite good start

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #7,332 of 11,296
Hi guys
I have my R8 (2018 model) on sale.

I sell it for $1.000 "including shipping to USA, Canada or Europe".

According to Kingwa it can be upgraded to the 2021 version for about $60, if you have some DIY skills or a tech friend. So technically it means saving about $800 for the latest model.

It has the latest DA boards and internal Acussilicon clocks. It's a 220V version, but I can easily modify it to be 110V before shipping.

Anyone interested can PM me.

Here are some pictures:

IMG_20210220_131026.jpg

IMG_20210220_131134.jpg

IMG_20210220_131258.jpg

IMG_20210220_131318.jpg

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #7,334 of 11,296
Hello Pedro…. For a full 2021 upgrade incl. both USB and HDMI inputs, the cost is lying more in the 160$ region, still quite affordable… especially considering the huge SQ benefit you get
Hello
There are two ways of doing it, one more expensive, as you mentioned, and one that needs a little bit more DIY skills, but not too much.

Here is Kingwa's exact answer:

"The R8 upgrade to 2021 version , there are two ways , one is you buy two isolator modules, solder with the original modules , this cost USD64 for two isolators exclude shipping cost.
Another ways is buy the full upgrade kit replace the original USB and HDMI modules, this price is USD148 exclude shipping cost.
Both ways need update the firmware.
Kingwa"

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #7,335 of 11,296

I find Sabre-based DACs tend to have the opposite issue of being oversharpened to an unnatural degree (though I have heard and owned good ones). I agree both have their downsides, but usually well-designed R2R DACs are my preferred source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back