New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #7,337 of 11,296
I currently have both and to be fair the implementation around the R8 is way better than around the sabre (SMSL M500) so not really like for like.

What I do notice immediately is that the sabre was very much like a v shaped EQ curve in that it magnified the brighter portion of the spectrum like bass and female vocals but to the detriment of the rest.

The R8 is more detailed without being bright as it is more balenced with presentation, the timbre of instruments and vocals is exceptional and this creates a sense of realism in the music.

My view and now preference is very much that r2r is the way to go for realistic but also very enjoyable music.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #7,338 of 11,296
@Crow123, how do you find NOS implementation on R-8? On Denafrips it was never perceived as a strong feature. This is a feature which I love on my R2R-11 and as you know I wrote about in many places. :)

I know someone in your area with a new Holo Springs, interested in comparison with R-8. This would be the first of this kind. Keep us informed, I am sure, this fellow will contact you.

Jul 5, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #7,339 of 11,296
@Crow123, how do you find NOS implementation on R-8? On Denafrips it was never perceived as a strong feature. This is a feature which I love on my R2R-11 and as you know I wrote about in many places. :)

I know someone in your area with a new Holo Springs, interested in comparison with R-8. This would be the first of this kind. Keep us informed, I am sure, this fellow will contact you.
Nos is very good on the r7. Much like the r2r 11.

The r2r 11 is an addictive piece of equipement. I will never sell mine. If i were Kingwa, i would not stop production. I would upgrade it with a bigger stiffer chassis, put a 30w r-core in it, make the Crysteks standard on the amanero, add a resistor ladder volume control and sell it for 300usd more.

Jul 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #7,340 of 11,296

I have done nearly all my listening in NOS. I briefly tried the OS (8X) on Saturday but preferred the NOS. This isn't a fair comparison though. This is still a new toy so I take every opportunity to listen and enjoy it.

I will take some time to compare at some stage but at this stage, I just really enjoy the NOS mode and don't want to get into comparative listening and critical evaluation.

I did hear the same on a Pontus review where apparently it got much better in OS.

I also tried Roon OS in R8 NOS mode but maybe my ears are bad or I just like organic music - prefer straight music from my library to my DAC with no changes.

RE the Holo I am very keen to compare. My speakers can be quite technical (Dali Rubicon - with ribbon tweeters) so it may not be the best system match (i have heard that Holo can be lean sometimes) but would be very interested to try.

Now i need to think about DI20 :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #7,341 of 11,296
Nos is very good on the r7. Much like the r2r 11.

The r2r 11 is an addictive piece of equipement. I will never sell mine. If i were Kingwa, i would not stop production. I would upgrade it with a bigger stiffer chassis, put a 30w r-core in it, make the Crysteks standard on the amanero, add a resistor ladder volume control and sell it for 300usd more.
Stepped (relay based) volume control would make alone $300 extra. Head-fiers would request upgrading the amp to the level of NFB-1AMP, it would make R-28... I think, a basic DAC sans HPA in a small enclosure would hit a market sweet spot. Sell it through drop-com to make Audio GD brand well known on the US market very quick.

Leave Crystek oscilators for DIY or on special request. I suspect there are export restrictions on some parts to China, by example a poor man Douk Audio DDC is selling on Aliexpress only with standard oscilators, the official upgraded versions (TXCO and Crysteks) are only available through eBay. I will be upgrading oscilators in first place, my order is expected to arrive in few weeks, will report later. :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #7,342 of 11,296
my R7 upgrade in 2020 (usb isoled) is better in 8x OS than in Nos.. especially in bass precision. think that the next upgrade 2021 is a clear improvement. j mainly uses the input usb! thank you
This upgrade 2021 is :
USB and HDMI modules will be equipped with isolators and will be cadenced by the accusilicon clocks of the main board. In addition, the display will be adjusted to also display the file sampling rates. In addition, the DAC is equipped with the latest firmware.

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #7,343 of 11,296
Stepped (relay based) volume control would make alone $300 extra. Head-fiers would request upgrading the amp to the level of NFB-1AMP, it would make R-28... I think, a basic DAC sans HPA in a small enclosure would hit a market sweet spot. Sell it through drop-com to make Audio GD brand well known on the US market very quick.

Leave Crystek oscilators for DIY or on special request. I suspect there are export restrictions on some parts to China, by example a poor man Douk Audio DDC is selling on Aliexpress only with standard oscilators, the official upgraded versions (TXCO and Crysteks) are only available through eBay. I will be upgrading oscilators in first place, my order is expected to arrive in few weeks, will report later. :)
I am sure Kingwa can do all this for 300, but ok, maybe not the Crysteks. It would be nice to have 600-700usd all in one r2r.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #7,347 of 11,296
Hi, did anybody here had the chance to compare the Master 7S with the PCM1704UK chip to the regular R2R R-7 dac ?
i see Kingwa loving this chip sooo much that he is returning to it with new (old) model

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #7,348 of 11,296
@GU1DO Haven't compared the latest M7S 2021 but have several older M7s and recently upgraded one to 2020. So not a fair comparison as my M7s I/O boards are very much out of date with what is delivered today. So comparing he R7HE mk2 to S7 2020 (M7S) with old I/O boards is not entirely fair. But in general the later R2R models have more detail and low level resolution while the M7s have slightly thicker mids. I still use my oldest Master 7S (2013 with updates) in my computer setup and still very pleasing to listen and use.

Kingwa told me he could build a M7S(HE) with a Mk2 digital board and latest I/Os. If I was rich I would order one and sell my other three DACs (M7S, S7 2020, and R7 2019). But the R7HE mk2 is reigning king of my four AGD DACs. Tremendous sounding DAC and very expressive. Highly recommended. Kingwa's crowning achievement in a DAC.

Jul 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #7,349 of 11,296
for the R7 with the 2021 upgrade, the USB and HDMI modules will be equipped with insulators and will be cadenced by the accusilicon clocks of the card. In addition, the display will be adjusted to also display the file sampling rates. the DAC is equipped with the latest firmware.
you think that for $250, the gain in quality is important? how can you describe the contribution of this upgrade for use

Jul 10, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #7,350 of 11,296
for the R7 with the 2021 upgrade, the USB and HDMI modules will be equipped with insulators and will be cadenced by the accusilicon clocks of the card. In addition, the display will be adjusted to also display the file sampling rates. the DAC is equipped with the latest firmware.
you think that for $250, the gain in quality is important? how can you describe the contribution of this upgrade for use
This worth getting. Do you get the clock input too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back