New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 24, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #2,506 of 11,260
I'm following this thread as an R2R-1 owner. Does anyone know if these changes are compatible with the R2R-1, or if it's a separate FW fork (developed independently)?

I ask because there seems to be rapid iteration for the R2R-7, but if I'm going to upgrade my FW for the R2R-1, I wouldn't want to do it days prior to another tweak arriving.

AFAIK there is only a single update for the R2R-1 so far. I still have to order one of them USB Blaster thingies off of ebay myself -- and get a copy of the Altera tools for Linux.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #2,507 of 11,260
has anyone tried USB (IN6) with v3?

I rebooted the DAC but can't get it to detect
upload_2018-7-24_7-54-5.png

So I re-downloaded the Amanero drivers and that's when I noticed the download was different from the one I downloaded last year (setup.exe is now 392 bytes smaller). Uninstalled the old, installed the new, still no detection.
upload_2018-7-24_7-56-1.png

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2,508 of 11,260
@FredA you just reminded me that I have XLR of Litz Cardas Interconnect. I have been using silver and my headphones systems are very neutral. It explains why I love the V2A more than V2A1. I will try the (1) and use those IC to see if it improves anything in the future

For now I am loving the V2A a lot because of the more sub-bass :D...I am also having Silver everywhere inside the r2r7 though. It could explain why. The reason you don’t like the V2A in comparison to the (1) is probably too much sub-bass ? (Just guessing)

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #2,509 of 11,260
has anyone tried USB (IN6) with v3?

Sound like something on the USB - computer physical side. The computer detects the USB port but the Amanero is not reporting its descriptor when requested. The firmware may be involved.- I don't know for sure.

Is your R7R 7 warmed up? Shut it off to cool for a while. And you are using S3 (R7S3)? Kingwa fixed some bugs in S3 for the latest R7_V2. I have had lousy USB cables do things like this but if untouched and working previously then hard to imagine a cable but if moved or touched recently could be suspect.

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2,510 of 11,260
@FredA you just reminded me that I have XLR of Litz Cardas Interconnect. I have been using silver and my headphones systems are very neutral. It explains why I love the V2A more than V2A1. I will try the (1) and use those IC to see if it improves anything in the future

For now I am loving the V2A a lot because of the more sub-bass :D...I am also having Silver everywhere inside the r2r7 though. It could explain why. The reason you don’t like the V2A in comparison to the (1) is probably too much sub-bass ? (Just guessing)
No. I could use more sub-bass. I just found the V2A1 more coherent and expressive.

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,511 of 11,260
Confirmed with Magna thar I have the latest SE R7V2S - thank God only one version exists now! I think I would prefer SW over SW, esp with long burning in.
We should standize how we call these fw:

Latest SW = R7V2S (this was the old V3)
Stop using V3 - this confuses things

Latest AW = R7V2A and R7V2A1

Then there are a bunch of modified FWs for specific inputs

Am I correct?

Jul 24, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,513 of 11,260
Confirmed with Magna thar I have the latest SE R7V2S - thank God only one version exists now! I think I would prefer SW over SW, esp with long burning in.

Am I correct?
Almost.

Not a bunch. Just one alternative version of the same firmwares for modified inputs.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,514 of 11,260
Jul 24, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,515 of 11,260

Am I correct?
There never was a V3, but an S3. That was a confusion presented in this forum.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,516 of 11,260
AFAIK there is only a single update for the R2R-1 so far. I still have to order one of them USB Blaster thingies off of ebay myself -- and get a copy of the Altera tools for Linux.
Audio-gd states these firmwares are also available for R2R 1

2018 version firmware update for R2R 1,R2R 7

available during 20th July to 10th Aug.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,517 of 11,260

Am I correct?

I am working with Kingwa on descriptive naming. But can be tricky and cause even more confusion to make changes mid-stream. I have no idea what he is loading on production units (Kingwa confirmed R7V2S). But I am not going to change filenames as lot of others look at this forum. Once in the field things escalate and confusion runs rampant (as witnessed here on HeadFi). Have to coordinate what Kingwa is telling his customers and others in the field

The V2 Accurate releases are misleading with the oddball hybrid accurate/ smooth variation taking up the prime descriptive filename of R7_V2A and the official V2 Accurate filename R7_VA1. I asked Kingwa if we can think about changing the hybrid to R7V2AS and call the official V2 Accurate version R7V2A. Someday perhaps!

So here are descriptive names matched to the filenames of the latest versions (that I am aware).

R7V2S = R7_V2.jic (Release V2 Smooth to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S. This is the default version)
R7V2S-T = R7V2S-T.jic (Release V2 Smooth with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2A = R7_V2A1.jic (Release V2 Accurate to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S)
R7V2A-T = R7V2A-T.jic (Release V2 Accurate with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2AS = R7_V2A.jic (Release V2 hybrid Accurate/ Smooth variation. Standard version for IN4 I2S)

And dammit there is no V3! LOL.....

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,518 of 11,260
I am working with Kingwa on descriptive naming. But can be tricky and cause even more confusion to make changes mid-stream. I have no idea what he is loading on production units (assume R7V2S). But I am not going to change filenames as lot of others look at this forum. Once in the field things escalate and confusion runs rapid (as witnessed here on HeadFi). Have to coordinate what Kingwa is telling his customers and others in the field

The V2 Accurate releases are misleading with the oddball hybrid accurate/ smooth variation taking up the prime descriptive filename of R7_V2A and the official V2 Accurate filename R7_VA1. I asked Kingwa if we can think about changing the hybrid to R7V2AS and call the official V2 Accurate version R7V2A. Someday perhaps!

So here are descriptive names matched to the filenames of the latest versions (that I am aware).

R7V2S = R7_V2.jic (Release V2 Smooth to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S)
R7V2S-T = R7V2S-T.jic (Release V2 Smooth with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2A = R7_V2A1.jic (Release V2 Accurate to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S)
R7V2A-T = R7V2A-T.jic (Release V2 Accurate with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2AS = R7_V2A.jic (Release V2 hybrid Accurate/ Smooth variation. Standard version for IN4 I2S)

And dammit there is no V3! LOL.....
Thanks for clarifying! How about doing like in genetics:

R7V2SS = new smooth

R7V2AA = new Accurate

R7V2AS = hybrid

like they do with blood typing

Haha. Can ignore this, just a joke.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #2,519 of 11,260
Would this USB Blaster be compatible for the firmware update?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back