New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 24, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,522 of 11,305
And you are using S3 (R7S3)?
my file was called R7S3.jic, which I believe is the patched version of R7_V2.lic
when he patches he should advance the minor number (ex: 2.1) and not the major number
I suppose I should try flashing R7V2AS and R7V2A this week to see if my USB comes back
Many thanks for documenting the versions in your prior post

There never was a V3, but an S3. That was a confusion presented in this forum.
yeah I'd like to smack the guy that started that
(as I read the room to see if that worked)

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2,523 of 11,305
I am working with Kingwa on descriptive naming. But can be tricky and cause even more confusion to make changes mid-stream. I have no idea what he is loading on production units (assume R7V2S). But I am not going to change filenames as lot of others look at this forum. Once in the field things escalate and confusion runs rampant (as witnessed here on HeadFi). Have to coordinate what Kingwa is telling his customers and others in the field

The V2 Accurate releases are misleading with the oddball hybrid accurate/ smooth variation taking up the prime descriptive filename of R7_V2A and the official V2 Accurate filename R7_VA1. I asked Kingwa if we can think about changing the hybrid to R7V2AS and call the official V2 Accurate version R7V2A. Someday perhaps!

So here are descriptive names matched to the filenames of the latest versions (that I am aware).

R7V2S = R7_V2.jic (Release V2 Smooth to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S)
R7V2S-T = R7V2S-T.jic (Release V2 Smooth with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2A = R7_V2A1.jic (Release V2 Accurate to manufacturing and general field upgrade. Standard version for IN4 I2S)
R7V2A-T = R7V2A-T.jic (Release V2 Accurate with IN4 Optical capability to manufacturing and general field upgrade)
R7V2AS = R7_V2A.jic (Release V2 hybrid Accurate/ Smooth variation. Standard version for IN4 I2S)

And dammit there is no V3! LOL.....
Great work Scott! :clap:

This will avoid any further confusions.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2,525 of 11,305
Jul 24, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #2,526 of 11,305
my file was called R7S3.jic, which I believe is the patched version of R7_V2.lic

R7S3 is the patch for the very first V2 firmware R7S2. R7_V2.jic (R7V2S) is the patch for for R7S3. So progression is R7S2 -> R7S3 -> R7V2S

You are correct minor revisions for reasons that may not affect you should be further refined like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 or 1a, 1b, 1c as examples. Major function change, code changes, jumper changes, feature added, etc. should be a major rev level like 1.0 -> 2.0. The zeroes are implied to keep file names simple 1, 2, 2.1, 3. etc.

Plus Kingwa thinks he is done for now with V2 but logical revision coding scheme is really useful during prototyping phase with Kingwa's compiler working 24/7. I bet I loaded up 6 or 7 different firmware files in the past week! Kingwa understands and will be smoother next time. And yes the distant future firmware version will be called.... are you ready?....."V3" !

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2,527 of 11,305
Anyone prefering NOS 3 with these new firmwares? (Accurate or Smooth)

BTW: Both latest versions for IN4 optical (Smooth and Accurate) are working perfectly. I'm sticking with Accurate, asked Kingwa if would be possible to build AS hybrid for IN4 optical.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #2,528 of 11,305
R7S3 is the patch for the very first V2 firmware R7S2. R7_V2.jic (R7V2S) is the patch for for R7S3. So progression is R7S2 -> R7S3 -> R7V2S

You are correct minor revisions for reasons that may not affect you should be further refined like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 or 1a, 1b, 1c as examples. Major function change, code changes, jumper changes, feature added, etc. should be a major rev level like 1.0 -> 2.0. The zeroes are implied to keep file names simple 1, 2, 2.1, 3. etc.

Plus Kingwa thinks he is done for now with V2 but logical revision coding scheme is really useful during prototyping phase with Kingwa's compiler working 24/7. I bet I loaded up 6 or 7 different firmware files in the past week! Kingwa understands and will be smoother next time. And yes the distant future firmware version will be called.... are you ready?....."V3" !
Kingwa is learning software production! I really like my v2. Kingwa has found a way to push the limits. :)

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #2,529 of 11,305
Anyone prefering NOS 3 with these new firmwares? (Accurate or Smooth)

BTW: Both latest versions for IN4 optical (Smooth and Accurate) are working perfectly. I'm sticking with Accurate, asked Kingwa if would be possible to build AS hybrid for IN4 optical.
I never prefered nos with any firmware. I love great transcients. And the sound is more relaxed now.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,530 of 11,305
With the new accurate fw, the r2r 7 sounds like an upgraded Master-7. It should be called a Master-R7. It's is also significantly better than the r2r-7 i have received one year ago. Another good reason to change the name. Just an idea like that. I am gonna ask Kingwa to do marketing work for him soon. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #2,531 of 11,305
I like NOS3 with R7V2S. Not sure I prefer it but it is a big, warm presentation. I’ll try A and AS again when things settle down. Have some different cables lined up. Nice to hear that Kingwa has worked out the bugs in his code base.

What’s up with the R1 firmware? Is it called V2 and have Smooth and Accurate flavors?

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,532 of 11,305
With the new accurate fw, the r2r 7 sounds like an upgraded Master-7. It should be called a Master-R7. It's is also significantly better than the r2r-7 i have received one year go. Another good reason to change the name. Just an idea like that. I am gonna ask Kingwa to do marketing work for him soon. :dt880smile:

The new V2 firmware sure makes the R2R 7 sound better. And shares many sonic traits with the M7 that I like while fixing the ones I don’t.

I think it will take me months to sort out the new firmware. Different S/A/AS, OS/NOS, and cables. It is like installing a new piece of gear - takes time to get use to it.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #2,534 of 11,305
On Dizzy Gilespie Concert of the Century, the sound is magnificient, with soudstaging out of this world. Real sense of depth. Those Tuesday nights are always very special. The crytsaline timbre of the the vibraphone is in full evidence, with all the reverberations and echos. Something really very realistic and faithful. And great musical emotion coming through. When i hear this, i am thinking changing speakers could be a big mistake. I thought the same thing last year when i bought the r2r 7. No the slightest hint of a regret now.

Just can't believe how good this record sounds now. The people attending this concert sure got many times their money worth. They all are on fire.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #2,535 of 11,305
I am shaking my head. I just can't believe it. The sound is so perfect, making any change to this setup would be crazy. I am in transe. It's the piano, the bass, Gillespie humming in the background, the drums , the trumpet, all this is clear and well integrated as a credible whole making of this listening session an actual event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back