New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #2,491 of 11,260
So does this mean some of u still prefer the earlier V2 versions vs the final V2, I presume the v2a1 is latest version. V2a the version before. Is there a v2b ?

The “a” or “A” means Accurate. So the next Accurate revision would be hopefully V2A2 to follow same logic.

The early versions of the original smooth V2 had bugs and stability issues. The latest R7_V2 sounds and operates very well. But nothing wrong with the old ones if they work for you.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #2,492 of 11,260
Kingwa and Audio GD will reprogram your R1 and R7 DAC via TeamViewer. Offer good until 10 August, 2018. See AGD's home page for more info.

http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm

And looking at the R2R 7 product summary page new firmware has been released for production. Same for the R1.

19th. July 2018 : 2018 firmware updated.
Improved on transparency, dynamic, larger and darker backstage but more analog sound.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #2,493 of 11,260
Kingwa is working on providing better documentation on firmware. He included descriptions for the latest Smooth and two Accurate versions. Also to remind users of jumper changes. Read the description about R7V2A - a mashup of smooth and accurate.

So looks like R7V2 is the leading V2 Smooth release candidate. And R7V2A1 is the leading V2 Accurate version for general release.
------------------------------------------------
Please note:
This version firmware only for the R2R 7 or R2R7HE with HDMI on IN4, RJ45 on IN5 and USB on IN6.
R7V2 is improved based on original smooth version. (R7_V2.jic)
R7V2A1 is improved based on the original accurate version (R7_V2A1.jic)
R7V2A is between on R7V2 and R7V2A configure. (R7_V2A.jic)

Setting change :
NOS = BYPASS ON OS = BYPASS OFF

Synchronizer : (Default is OFF. If the sound had issue, change the setting .)
IN4 IIS = S0 ON (If sound had issue, try to push into a jumper on S0. Default is OFF )
IN5 IIS = S1 ON (If sound had issue, try to push into a jumper on S1. Default is OFF )
IN6 IIS = S2 ON (With Amanero on IN6, must keep it as default, without jumper. If customer modify with other brand USB interface, can try to push into a jumper on S2 find the better state )
Note: S0 does not apply to Toslink functionality on Input 4.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,497 of 11,260
V2A1 sounds so good with my speakers. I LOVE it. All in all, it's the most neutral and accurate version for a neutral speaker setup IMO. I am the only one using it so far. @Wynnystky (Victor) is sticking to v3. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, no did i try the last smooth v2. These firmware updates are the final touch. I find that my setup sounds so high-end now... Very accurate and musical at the same time. I get more texture in the lower mids which make the cello cry. Same with the upper mids for piano and guitar. Great job Kingwa and his team! I thiink that an even better fw could be made in the future but no rush...

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #2,500 of 11,260
I found an interconnect that goes with my hp setup and the V2A1 fw. I needed one with slightly boosted mids. Bingo. V2A1 is close to excellent now with headphones,

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,501 of 11,260
No “V3”, at least, for a year or so I seriously hope! Think of “V2” as major upgrade like firmware 2.0 and does not mean “version 2 of the new firmware”.

There was an S3 that was based upon the initial R7S2 smooth (aka “Smooth 2”). S3 is the first version with the jumper changes and called R7S3.jic on the cloud drive. Finally R7S3 is base for the latest release candidate R7_V2.jic. R7_V2 could have been nicknamed R7S4 or R7_V2S4 to illustrate progression.

Interesting that eveyone likes a different V2 firmware revision and/or flavor (smooth or accurate). The versatility of this DAC is amazing.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,502 of 11,260
No “V3”, at least, for a year or so I seriously hope! Think of “V2” as major upgrade like firmware 2.0 and does not mean “version 2 of the new firmware”.

There was an S3 that was based upon the initial R7S2 smooth (aka “Smooth 2”). S3 is the first version with the jumper changes and called R7S3.jic on the cloud drive. Finally R7S3 is base for the latest release candidate R7_V2.jic. R7_V2 could have been nicknamed R7S4 or R7_V2S4 to illustrate progression.

Interesting that eveyone likes a different V2 firmware revision and/or flavor (smooth or accurate). The versatility of this DAC is amazing.
It is highly configurable to say the least. With these new firmwares, it is a notch or two better than before. I don't even need sw upsampling anymore. The sound quality is also more equal from one evening to the other. The treble on the former accurate would make some old records unlistenable. Not so with the latest ones, and what's more, the resolution has even increased. Talk about a win-win situation.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #2,503 of 11,260
*** TOSLINK IN4 FIRMWARE RELEASES but read the first part about firmware naming for future reference ***

Kingwa just sent over both V2 Smooth and V2 Accurate firmware for Toslink Input 4 systems (not standard R7s with IN4 I2S). He would appreciate those using Toslink having a try just to see if they work OK on your systems.

And Kingwa is trying out a new firmware naming convention. Yeah! More descriptive and uniform by just glancing at the firmware filename. For instance these two new Toslink files are named R7V2S-T.jic and R7V2A-T.jic. Left side of the filename hyphen "-" the system is "R7" in our case, "V2" major f/w release , and "S" or "A" for smooth/ accurate flavoring. Right of the hypen ("-") is revisioning and lastly a "T" to note it is meant for Toslink IN4 system. The "T" replaces "II2S" to signify Toslink capable firmware. Firmware for IN4 I2S systems (standard shipping config) will have no letter to denote IN4 I2S.

The left side of hyphen is a just basically a firmware description and will always be R7V2S or R7V2A until something major changes. Right side of the hyphen can be a revision number plus either a "T" or not at the very end. Number revision format for a standard IN4 I2S system will be (as example only!) R7V2S-1 -> R7V2S-2 -> R7V2S-3,.. to denote revision levels if needed. The corresponding Toslink IN4 release will just add a "T" to the end like R7V2S-1T -> R7V2S-2T -> R7V2S-3T. Kingwa dropped any revision numbers from the prototype firmware for these latest product type releases (clean slate). So firmware naming is in transition but should be more understandable when caught up.
------
Please note:
This version firmware only for the R2R 7 or R2R7HE with Optical on IN4, RJ45 or HDMI on IN5 and USB on IN6.
R7V2S-T is improved based on original smooth version. (Different checksum versus the other 3 files previously released)
R7V2A-T is improved based on the original accurate version (Initial release of V2 Accurate with Toslink capability) .
Find them here located in the 'IN4 Toslink' directory .... https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Setting change :
NOS = BYPASS ON OS = BYPASS OFF

Synchronizer : (Default is OFF. If the sound had issue, change the setting .)
IN5 IIS = S1 ON (If sound had issue, try to push into a jumper on S1. Default is OFF )
IN6 IIS = S2 ON (With Amanero on IN6, must keep it as default, without jumper. If customer modify with other brand USB interface, can try to push into a jumper on S2 find the better state )\

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #2,505 of 11,260
I'm following this thread as an R2R-1 owner. Does anyone know if these changes are compatible with the R2R-1, or if it's a separate FW fork (developed independently)?

I ask because there seems to be rapid iteration for the R2R-7, but if I'm going to upgrade my FW for the R2R-1, I wouldn't want to do it days prior to another tweak arriving.

Users who are viewing this thread

• PLGA
Back