New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2,551 of 11,266
This afternoon i loaded R7_V2A.jic (R7V2AS after using R7_V2A1.jic (R7V2A). JAccurate was a little to bright/clean on my set. The AS version is just enough more smooth to make the tonal balance about right. Crispy mids and heights, rich but tight bass. I like it.

EDIT: used OS8x

S+NOS is the smoothest combo and
A+8OS is the sharpest

then it would be worthwhile comparing S+8OS vs A+NOS
and supposing they have relatively equal "sharpness", I would wager that the AS+8OS your on now is sharper than the A+NOS3 I'm on now.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #2,552 of 11,266
Up on the cloud drive is new hybrid Smooth/Accurate firmware compatible with IN4 optical (R7V2SA-T.jic)

Kingwa called the new file R7V2SA-T. To be consistent the IN4 I2S version R7V2AS changes name to R7V2SA. Same file (R7_V2A.jic) but different name. AS or SA you get the picture.

I also renamed the following IN4 I2S files to be consistent with the new naming scheme. Nothing has changed with the files - just consistent naming. The older files removed from the cloud drive.

Note.txt files added to the cloud directories to explain files and jumpers. https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

IN4 I2S
R7V2S.jic = R7_V2.jic (V2 Smooth release. Checksum 0290DCAD)
R7V2A.jic = R7_V2A1.jic (V2 Accurate release. Checksum 02868CEA)
R7V2SA.jic = R2_V2A.jic (Originally referred to R7V2AS. V2 hybrid Smooth/ Accurate release. Checksum 02989AA9)

IN4 Optical
R7V2S-T.jic is improved based on original smooth version. (Checksum 028E594E)
R7V2A-T.jic is improved based on the original accurate version . (Checksum 028B0279)
R7V2SA-T.jic is between on R7V2S-T and R7V2A-T configure. (Checksum 028FF4CD)

Hopefully nothing is messed up! I did verify the checksum of the renamed IN4 I2S files and matched up to the older versions.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #2,555 of 11,266
Up on the cloud drive is new hybrid Smooth/Accurate firmware compatible with IN4 optical (R7V2SA-T.jic)

Kingwa called the new file R7V2SA-T. To be consistent the IN4 I2S version R7V2AS changes name to R7V2SA. Same file (R7_V2A.jic) but different name. AS or SA you get the picture.

I also renamed the following IN4 I2S files to be consistent with the new naming scheme. Nothing has changed with the files - just consistent naming. Older named files removed.

Note.txt files added to the cloud directories to explain files and jumpers. https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

IN4 I2S
R7V2S.jic = R7_V2.jic (V2 Smooth release. Checksum 0290DCAD)
R7V2A.jic = R7_V2A1.jic (V2 Accurate release. Checksum 02868CEA)
R7V2SA.jic = R2_V2A.jic (Originally referred to R7V2AS. V2 hybrid Smooth/ Accurate release. Checksum 02989AA9)

IN4 Optical
R7V2S-T.jic is improved based on original smooth version. (Checksum 028E594E)
R7V2A-T.jic is improved based on the original accurate version . (Checksum 028B0279)
R7V2SA-T.jic is between on R7V2S-T and R7V2A-T configure. (Checksum 028FF4CD)

I did verify the checksum of the renamed IN4 I2S files and matched up to the older versions. Please correct me if anything is wrong.

Hi Scott,
This is really good stuff. Thanks for bringing organisation to this. Thanks also for printing out the checksums. I have been testing fw's forth and back and was just about to request the ***2SA-T firmware... Perfect.

/Jan

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #2,556 of 11,266
Hi Scott,
This is really good stuff. Thanks for bringing organisation to this. Thanks also for printing out the checksums. I have been testing fw's forth and back and was just about to request the ***2SA-T firmware... Perfect.

No problem and happy to be helpful! Hopefully we are good until the next firmware release!

I meant to contact you as the R7V2S-T file has a different checksum versus the prototype R7_V2_IIS2. Not sure what the change would be but wanted to let you know! Thank you again!

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2,557 of 11,266
wait - your not getting paid for this? Didn't you tell him that your the reason I bought mine? You probably can't remember that far back :)
@Currawong was in large part the reason I originally pulled the trigger on NFB-1. His measured, detailed review among other high praise posts definitely pushed me over the edge and I'm thankful for it. Though perhaps I was a little positively inclined towards fellow Aussie ex-pat... (not really, but that did grab my initial attention towards his channel).

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,558 of 11,266
@Currawong was in large part the reason I originally pulled the trigger on NFB-1. His measured, detailed review among other high praise posts definitely pushed me over the edge and I'm thankful for it. Though perhaps I was a little positively inclined towards fellow Aussie ex-pat... (not really, but that did grab my initial attention towards his channel).
As an Aussie, any thought on Osborn speakers?

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,559 of 11,266
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,561 of 11,266
I feel like I have been on a month long holiday with overnight travel to the next destination. Quick day visits of discovery and off to another place. This is what my experience has been with the R2R 7. Something new everyday. I got to use the R7 with original firmware and then unexpectedly the V2 firmware roller coaster ride of fun. Now "back home" I get to finally enjoy the R2R 7 without the daily interruptions of DAC comparisons, new firmware, cable swaps, power conditioner change, and/or Singxer SU-1 or F1 sources.

So after 1 month + 5 days with the R2R 7 it is a stellar DAC and takes Audio GD to another level that PCM1704 DACs can never share. "V2" firmware really makes the R7 shine its brightest. Similar dynamic character to the M7S but with much better highs, clarity, detail, and precision. Yet easy transition from M7S to R2R 7 as they share many pleasant qualities. Settled on V2 Smooth firmware OS x8 (default shipping configuration) as it is what's most balanced on my system. The sound flows like fine wine with a great meal. But encourage trying all variations of V2 (S,A,SA) as the R2R-7 is very versatile in changing sound character. OS and NOS as well. No right or wrong but what makes best sound for you and your audio gear.

And "new" R2R 7 users remember the sound changes during lengthy break-in period. Be patient. Also the R7 is very transparent so differences between input sources, cables, and power quality are magnified and readily noticed. System not sounding right? --- change input sources, firmware, cables, and power to dial it in! But only one change at a time or you will go nuts. And use the best support gear you can afford. Lastly, the R7 takes a while to warm up. When broken in the highs smooth out after it warms up for many hours. On a new R7 just leave power on for a few months to let it acclimate and run in. All this effort and you will be rewarded handsomely.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #2,563 of 11,266
This is the first time I'm actually tempted to invest in some better power cables. Sadly my finances have taken a huge hit recently, so I can't really do that yet.
R2R7 HE really despises bad interconnect cables ( which hasn't happened to me before, I always thought cables can only add that final 1% ), so I'd assume something better than my 25$ Tomanek power cable would help it reach even higher level.

And also, since my DAC is sloooowly reaching something like 500h, I figured I might finally start trying different settings again. I know there are 171 pages of this thread and I've seen so many variations, it got confusing.
What are Your all-time favourite jumper settings for both 8xOS and NOS?

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #2,564 of 11,266
This is the first time I'm actually tempted to invest in some better power cables. Sadly my finances have taken a huge hit recently, so I can't really do that yet.
R2R7 HE really despises bad interconnect cables ( which hasn't happened to me before, I always thought cables can only add that final 1% ), so I'd assume something better than my 25$ Tomanek power cable would help it reach even higher level.

And also, since my DAC is sloooowly reaching something like 500h, I figured I might finally start trying different settings again. I know there are 171 pages of this thread and I've seen so many variations, it got confusing.
What are Your all-time favourite jumper settings for both 8xOS and NOS?
Depends on the firmware. With the newly released versions, i only tried 8x OS with defaults (no jumper). The most important aspect in my experience with power cables for audio-gd is the gauge. The bigger the better. I use one that is under 100$. As for interconnects, you need a transparent and well extented one on both ends wih a sound signature that gives you the correct balance. It does not have to cost a fortune either.

The r2r 7 is a high-end dac and it comes with some fuss trying to find the right setup. As most high-end dacs. My opinion is a properly chosen interconnect will make more difference than a power cable, provided that you have at least a 14-gauge one already.

But first and foremost, find the firmware you prefer. These 3 new ones are quite different from one another.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back