New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #2,266 of 11,305
With "Smooth 2" firmware the R2R 7 hardware is leaving the Master 7 Singularity hardware behind in a very profound way. The M7S simply can't keep up and is no match. The M7S seems veiled and grainy in comparison. The R2R 7 has much more clarity, detail, and crisp, shimmering trebles. Remarkable achievement for Kingwa's first discreet resistor DAC. The R2R 7 I have is over a year old and probably one of the first off the production line.

The MS Audio silver litz XLR cables that I have been fussing about recently with "Accurate" f/w on OS x8 sound balanced and detailed with "Smooth 2".

Enough of me bloviating! What are your impressions?
As i said, i tweaked my power amps by swapping rather round sounding discrete opamps for neutral ones. My sound is now excellent with both old and new recordings. I really believe the new fw is more neutral while the old one was slighlty on the bright side, same for the last Master-7 fw. I think i can do even better (not much though) with addtional tweaks. So far, the sound has been grainless, whild before there were times when it became a bit edgy.

Jul 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #2,271 of 11,305
Hi all,

I think the R2R-7 with this new and more sophisticated firmware are what was intended from the start. (If there is a God, it was what he wanted from the beginning..) I never stop to admire Kingwa for his dedication and drive to continue to learn more on any subject in this audio-area (digital and analog).

I have been running the original smooth fw knowing that I had to sacrifice some dynamics and some sonic information. A couple of tradeoffs. It hasn't been a hard life, the sound has been easy to live with but without the "wow". I have tried the accurate fw but it isn't possible for me to run it. Ihave sensitive ears and odd order distorsions are too painful....even if a small amount of them can give a more lively sound. Not for me.

Well the new R7V2-firmware gave me back the earlier tradeoffs. I think it is a homerun. The "wow" feeling found its way back to my home again with this fantastic performance. I run OS x8.

One sure thing is that Kingwa are learning more on the programming subject and even more sophisticated firmwares will probably come from him in the future. What a person Kingwa is.. he is working in "silence" and provides us his landwinnings (knowledgevise) for free to push the performance to higher levels, of his present Audio-gd gearowners gears. Some times small issues comes along like the "pops". It is a journey. Some people annoys over these rather small problems that comes along with the big steps in the development from Kingwa. He always work hard to solve these kind of issues.

I haven't found any problems at all with this new firmware this far. It just plays beautiful music with full dynamic and myriads of micro information. No fatigue, just engagement. The only problem I can see is the fact that I don't want to stop listening.

/Jan

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #2,272 of 11,305
!!! NEW ALTERA FIRMWARE !!!

Kingwa ask me to distribute new Altera firmware for the Singularity DSP to those who would like to try it. It is very new and a significant change that several of us forum members have had the privilege of trying for the past few days. With the firmware change Kingwa said he is addressing timing and transparency while improving upon Accurate's brightness/ quasi neutrality and Smooth's too laid back attitude. The new firmware has a lot going on and much more complex. Kingwa said this new version has 10,000 lines of code which is huge for an FPGA. The starting point for the code base is Smooth and Kingwa expanded and built upon that. I am not sure what it is officially named so I am just going to say "Smooth 2" for now but I will edit if something different.

All the standard DSP jumpers apply to the new firmware: OS, NOS, etc...

You may find the file on my Microsoft OneDrive called "R7S2.jic". The current firmware - "Smooth.jic" and "Accurate.jic" - are there as well if you want to change back. Requires Altera Quartus programming software and Altera JTAG programming cable. There are instructions on Audio GD web site for location of Altera SW and programming steps. If we can find a link we will put it up on this post...

Go here to download the Altera firmware files. Right clicking the file icons will launch a popup to download.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

If you have any operational issues please post here but most importantly report to Kingwa so he can address. Have fun!!!!
Thanks Scott. Does it applied to Master 7 with upgrade board? Have you tried? Or only R7?

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2,273 of 11,305
Hi all,

I think the R2R-7 with this new and more sophistcated firmware are what it was intended from the start. (If there is a god, it was what he wanted) I never stop to admire Kingwa for his dedication and drive to continue to learn more on any subject in this audio-area (digital and analog).

I have been running the original smooth fw knowing that I had to sacrifice some dynamics and some sonic information. A couple of tradeoffs. It hasn't been a hard life, the sound has been easy to live with but without the "wow". I have tried the accurate fw but it isn't possible for me to run it. Ihave sensitive ears and odd order distorsions are too painful....even if a small amount of them can give a more lively sound. Not for me.

Well the new R7V2-firmware gave me back the earlier tradeoffs. I think it is homerun. The "wow" feeling found its way back to my home again with this fantastic performance. I run OS x8.

One sure thing is that Kingwa are learning more on the programming subject and even more sophisticated firmwares will probably come from him in the future. What a person Kingwa is.. he is working in "silence" and provides us his landwinnings (knowledgevise) for free to push the performance to higher levels, of his present Audio-gd gearowners gears. Some times small issues comes along like the "pops". It is a journey. Some people annoys over these rather small problems that comes along with the big steps in the development from Kingwa. He always work hard to solve these kind of issues.

I haven't found any problems at all with this new firmware this far. It just play beautiful music with full dynamic and myriads of micro information. No fatigue, just engagement. The only problem I can see is the fact that I don't want to stop listening.

/Jan
This may well be the development that will allow myself and possibly many others to seriously consider the R2R7 for purchase.
Will be interesting to see if and how this new firmware affects the duration of the seemingly interminable burn-in period.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,274 of 11,305
Thanks Scott. Does it applied to Master 7 with upgrade board? Have you tried? Or only R7?

I did try R7V2 (Smooth 2) briefly in the M7S comparing to the R2R 7 both in OS x8. The firmware brings the R2R 7 to another level of performance that was not displayed with the MS7. In short the M7S is slightly veiled and grainy in comparison. It is my opinion the hardware of R2R 7 is capable of more than is possible with the M7S platform. The new firmware just makes this more evident. With Accurate f/w the comparison was closer but the R2R 7 has always shown better capability in the upper frequencies.

I love the old M7 and have listened to one or the other variation for at least 5 years. And try the new firmware in the Singularity M7s. It is clearly the best firmware produced by Kingwa. Very neutral with tight bass, good highs, and vocals which may help bring out the best in the old M7s.

And to add that I’ve had the R2R 7 for about a month and was apprehensive at first to a DAC change. I thought the R2R 7 would sound radically different from the M7. Not so! It has been an easy move as the R2R 7 shares many M7 characteristics like dynamics and timber but with clearer trebles. My ears liked it from the start. (Edit: After listening again to the M7S the R2R 7 is much more transparent with "R7V2" compared to the M7).

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #2,275 of 11,305
Wow! I have been listening to the new firmware “R7-V2” with 8XOS. There are improvements over the last accurate or smooth firmware for sure.

The trebles is all accurate, vivid, great density, great details and yet reduced of the hard-hitting (over saturated feeling)

The soundstage seem to be even wider and deeper

The layering, separations, and dynamic greatly improved

The subbass is even more prominently diving deep and yet retaining it linearity with excellent rumbling in a good way (this get addictive)

The timbres overall has more organic feeling compare to the last 8x0s

It is like a combination of both worlds from the last accurate firmware : the best of 8XOS and the best of NOS3 together kind of deal ! Awesome

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #2,278 of 11,305
The R2R update page points out to Quartus 12.1 Web Edition. Are you guys using that version? There are also newer versions and even a 12.1 service pack, so witch one to pick?
Btw the download is 3.8GB, wow!
I always use 12.1 just to be sure. Don't download the complete Quartus package, just the stand-alone Programmer, which is 130mb aprox.

Problem is the Xilinx software, which is 7gb or so the complete Suite. Has anyone manage just to download what's necessary for the DA update?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #2,279 of 11,305
For the past month I've been on an extended honeymoon with first the R2R 7 hardware and the new R7V2 firmware this week. Unlike my first marriage this honeymoon period has been a rewarding, pleasant experience! My used R2R 7 is well broken-in but tor someone getting a new R2R 7 remember the break-in period can be extended and expect some component swaps like signal and power cables to achieve best sound for your ears and system. The R2R 7 with the new firmware is lot more transparent highlighting other system components. But there is ultimate payoff if patient and willing to try something different.

I agree the new firmware is rounder and much smoother than Accurate. Makes listening non-fatiguing but is not necessarily laid back. More like a feeling of ease/ finesse and very comfortable. The increased sense of depth is due to the abundant detail, treble clarity, and separation of instruments. Draws me right into the music as each familiar song is a new discovery. Once drawn into the space the R2R 7s transparency takes over and no longer listening to hardware but rather immersed in a sea of rich sound. I am beginning to understand what transparency really means especially in a digital product. Having a lot of fun with the R2R 7!

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #2,280 of 11,305
The R2R update page points out to Quartus 12.1 Web Edition. Are you guys using that version? There are also newer versions and even a 12.1 service pack, so witch one to pick? Btw the download is 3.8GB, wow!

The file size is due to that package containing all the Altera tools for not only programming but FPGA design as well. With the Quartus 12.1 package you then just need to install the programming SW and device drivers (when prompted by the installer). I use Quartus 16.0 programming only SW and its download only 345MB in size. But I have an Altera account and was easy for me to download. If you look on the Altera site look for "Standalone SW" and "Quartus Prime Programming Tools". Kingwa picked Quartus 12.1 as it is old and doesn't need licensing like these newer versions.

And thanks for posting the AGD instructions and update page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back