New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 11, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #2,253 of 11,368
The new fw sounds rounder. This makes it more neutral IMO. So i tweaked my monoblocks to sound less round by swapping opamps. This way, i got the best sound so far. I would say there is more information coming though than with the accurate fw, only it's smoother. More laid back. It suits a neutral setup very well IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,256 of 11,368
!!! NEW ALTERA FIRMWARE !!!

Kingwa ask me to distribute new Altera firmware for the Singularity DSP to those who would like to try it. It is very new and a significant change that several of us forum members have had the privilege of trying for the past few days. With the firmware change Kingwa said he is addressing timing and transparency while improving upon Accurate's brightness/ quasi neutrality and Smooth's too laid back attitude. The new firmware has a lot going on and much more complex. Kingwa said this new version has 10,000 lines of code which is huge for an FPGA. The starting point for the code base is Smooth and Kingwa expanded and built upon that. I am not sure what it is officially named so I am just going to say "Smooth 2" for now but I will edit if something different.

All the standard DSP jumpers apply to the new firmware: OS, NOS, etc...

You may find the file on my Microsoft OneDrive called "R7S2.jic". The current firmware - "Smooth.jic" and "Accurate.jic" - are there as well if you want to change back. Requires Altera Quartus programming software and Altera JTAG programming cable. There are instructions on Audio GD web site for location of Altera SW and programming steps. If we can find a link we will put it up on this post...

Go here to download the Altera firmware files. Right clicking the file icons will launch a popup to download.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

If you have any operational issues please post here but most importantly report to Kingwa so he can address. Have fun!!!!
Thank you very much! Will try tomorrow.

Can you please also upload the files for the Xillinx update? Thanks!

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,259 of 11,368
I am liking "R7V2” (Smooth 2) quite a bit. NOS Mode 3 is very good but OS x8 is a liquid river of sound - wider stage and way deeper compared to Accurate. Music flows with rhythm and drive that draws me in for more. Seems like more bass energy and very similar to Master 7s sound but now with better precision, much more detail, and no grain. Rich harmonic textures. Vocals have just the right about of sibilance (for me). The highs seem better controlled and precise. Old CDs and vinyl transfers sound really good and very analog like. Plenty to like and not a lot to dislike.

Some may not like the perceived additional bass punch. My system loves it. If you liked the Master 7 you can appreciate this firmware.

If OS x8 is a bit too much on the low end try NOS Mode 3 (or maybe OS x2, x4). Seems to lighten things up a bit but still has precision and authority.

Use your best sources and cabling to get the most out of the new firmware. Now is the time for those upgrades you have been putting off. Kingwa told me this evening he is trying to achieve a more transparent DAC. And affects of other system components are more easily noticed when transparent.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,260 of 11,368
That would be a question for Kingwa. But certainly you can request it. I think this firmware version will be made standard after more testing and if no major bugs are found.
Thanks! Do you prefer 8X now with new firmware over NOS 3?

Sorry...posted this at the same time you posted your last entry.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #2,262 of 11,368
Thanks! Do you prefer 8X now with new firmware over NOS 3?

With "R7V2” (Smooth 2) I like OS x8 a lot. Very analog like, huge stage, deep mix. It just drew me into the music like I have not experienced in a long time. I did start on NOS Mode 3 and it sounded great as well. But OS x8 is very engaging (right now anyway).

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #2,263 of 11,368
With "Smooth 2" I like OS x8 a lot. Very analog like, huge stage, deep mix. It just drew me into the music like I have not experienced in a long time. I did start on NOS Mode 3 and it sounded great as well. But OS x8 is good for me (right now anyway).
Would u say that depending on what music you play you may use either OSx8 vs NOS3 ? I am going to ask if Magna can load this new firmware for my R2R7.

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #2,264 of 11,368
Would u say that depending on what music you play you may use either OSx8 vs NOS3 ? I am going to ask if Magna can load this new firmware for my R2R7.
It really just depends on what you like best. I like both and listen to many different styles. Someone else's system may sound better only on NOS Mode 3 - just depends. And recordings vary widely is another reason.

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,265 of 11,368
With “R7V2” (Smooth 2) firmware the R2R 7 hardware is leaving the Master 7 Singularity hardware behind in a very profound way. The M7S simply can't keep up and is no match. The M7S seems veiled and grainy in comparison. The R2R 7 has much more clarity, detail, and crisp, shimmering trebles. Remarkable achievement for Kingwa's first discreet resistor DAC. The R2R 7 I have is over a year old and probably one of the first off the production line. (Edit: After listening again to the M7S using "R7V2" the R2R 7 is just much more transparent than the M7 is or can ever be).

The MS Audio silver litz XLR cable that I have been fussing about recently with "Accurate" f/w on OS x8 sounds much better with "R7V2 (Smooth 2)" - balanced. smooth, and detailed.

Enough of me bloviating! What are your impressions?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back