New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 13, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #2,284 of 11,368
Is this upgrade useful for R2R 1 also?

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #2,285 of 11,368
I'm having some issues after flashing the new firmware: spdif is now playing with some annoying noise in the right channel, optical is not working at all, USB is OK. Is anyone having similar problems?

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #2,287 of 11,368
Did you install it on a r2r 1 or r2r 7? Not sure it is meant for the r2r 1, it has different hardware.

I haven't tried optical. spdif is fine. Rj45 i2s as well.
Installed it on my R2R 7, the previous question was for a friend who has an R2R 1

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #2,288 of 11,368
Installed it on my R2R 7, the previous question was for a friend who has an R2R 1
Did you wait after unplugging the power from the dac before doing the blaster connection? Also, one should always turn on the dac ONLY after all connections are made. The blaster should be disconnected from the computer and dac turned off for a while before disconnecting the blaster from the dac.

Static can damage chips in some case. I would try the update again following the procedure very carefully, making sure the cable is properly connected, hoping you don't have a hardware problem. You had a problem with the bnc input already if i remember correctly?

Maybe you blaster does not work properly. You can try it with another usb cable. I doubt the problem is this, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,289 of 11,368
Did you wait after unplugging the power to the dac before doing the blaster connection? Also, one should always turn on the dac after all connections are made. The blaster should be disconnected from the computer and dac turned off for a while before disconnected the blaster from the dac.

Static can damage chips in some case. I would try the update again following the procedure very carefully, making sure the cable is properly connected, hoping you don't have a hardware problem. You had a problem with the bnc input already if i remember correctly?

Maybe you blaster does not work properly. You can try it with another usb cable. I doubt the problem is this, but it's worth a try.
I did follow all procedures exactly as instructed, and exactly as I did it previously several times with my old Ref 5 and now the R2R 7.

I'm gonna flash back accurate firmware and see what happens.

Thanks Fred

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #2,291 of 11,368
Did you wait after unplugging the power to the dac before doing the blaster connection? Also, one should always turn on the dac ONLY after all connections are made. The blaster should be disconnected from the computer and dac turned off for a while before disconnecting the blaster from the dac.

BTW, the previous problem I had was with spdif connector not working anymore. Jos from Magna Hi Fi just sent me a new connector which I have yet to install. When I wrote spdif making noise now I was wrong, I should have wrote BNC connector, which I'm using temporary with and rca adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back