New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 13, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2,297 of 11,368
Listening to the new firmware on speakers, i was not getting the full extent of the improvment. Air conditioning is working 24/7 these days and is quite noisy. I put the heaphones (he560 driven by the nfb-1amp) on and boy, does this new firmware sound good. The r2r 11 is eating the dust. For the price, it's a steal but the r2r 7 - nfb-1amp combo really outshines it on almost all levels. Big improvment for my HP setup! I am shocked!

If my speaker setup can't keep up, i will have to buy new speakers i guess...

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #2,298 of 11,368
Ok, I flashed back Accurate firmware and everything works perfectly: optical OK, BNC with no noise. I then installed the new firmware again and voilá: optical not working anymore, but BNC doesn't seem to be making any noise anymore.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,299 of 11,368
Just confused about whether it was his problem or his friends, but I will try out different connections tomorrow and see
Problem is with my R2R7. My friend did not install the new firmware in his R2R 1.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #2,300 of 11,368
It sounds so lively, you get into all the details of the recording without it being analytical at all, just a smooth flow of rich music, you really feel you are in the action, absolutely grainless treble with soundstaging to die for. Deep tuneful bass. Just wondering why it is so different with speakers.

Tweaking to come in my speaker setup... I will start with new opamps as servo-control in my master-1.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #2,301 of 11,368
Ok, I flashed back Accurate firmware and everything works perfectly: optical OK, BNC with no noise. I then installed the new firmware again and voilá: optical not working anymore, but BNC doesn't seem to be making any noise anymore.
I guess you should report this to Kingwa. This could be a bug. Possibly an uninitialized variable, assuming it is possible with the language he uses.

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #2,302 of 11,368
I guess you should report this to Kingwa. This could be a bug. Possibly an uninitialized variable, assuming it is possible with the language he uses.
Already done :wink:

Thanks Fred.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #2,303 of 11,368
I got back on speakers. Milt Jackson's vibraphone is bursting all around the room. Ray Brown's tuneful bass complements his magistral performance (too bad the cymbals sound so thin and annoyingly ringy on this track but it's a sound take problem, not an issue wiith the firmware). I will be darned. Best night so far with the new firmware. I am EXTATIC.

Jul 13, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #2,305 of 11,368
Well...BNC is doing that weird noise again. It's like listening to an old dirty vinyl. Unfortunately, this new firmware is a no-go for me, too many troubles. I'll be forced to go back again to Accurate.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #2,307 of 11,368
Fred summed it up just about right. It's the most analog sound I've ever heard on these 105dB speakers. Love Music Nuda but there are so many high pitched passages that I simply have to turn the volume down for -- that was not the case with this firmware. This is the most listenable my system has ever been. The stage stepped back a bit, creating a more respectable distance between speaker and listener. Fred said it would be a good match for a system dialed for high transparency. He's right -- I'm listening to an Ultraverve 3 6sn7 preamp right now, and I'm eager to try my T+A solid state preamp again.

I've had this DAC for almost a whole year and this is a very welcome change. Unfortunately I think the phase is flipped. It sounded like the leading edge was subdued, and then I heard an audience clapping and that was a dead give away. In JRiver24 this sounded much better...
Reverse Polarity.PNG

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #2,308 of 11,368
Fred summed it up just about right. It's the most analog sound I've ever heard on these 105dB speakers. Love Music Nuda but there are so many high pitched passages that I simply have to turn the volume down for -- that was not the case with this firmware. This is the most listenable my system has ever been. The stage stepped back a bit, creating a more respectable distance between speaker and listener. Fred said it would be a good match for a system dialed for high transparency. He's right -- I'm listening to an Ultraverve 3 6sn7 preamp right now, and I'm eager to try my T+A solid state preamp again.

I've had this DAC for almost a whole year and this is a very welcome change. Unfortunately I think the phase is flipped. It sounded like the leading edge was subdued, and then I heard an audience clapping and that was a dead give away. In JRiver24 this sounded much better...
I will try to invert polarity, i am curious. This is a simple fix for Kingwa if effectively the case.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #2,309 of 11,368
Ah you meant left-right channel are inverted. Not for me though. I have my favorite test track telling me it's ok.

Well, from what i hear in my highly transparent hp set, i think i now need the best speakers 5k can get me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back