New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 14, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,326 of 11,303
BTW, I've been listening for an hour this morning with not noise at all. I have to say the sound signature of this new FW is really AMAZING, a big step forward from the brilliant mind of Kingwa. I'm sure he will find the way to stabilize these problems we are having. Well done again!! :clap:

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,328 of 11,303
I've spoken too soon...noise is back. Sadly, I'll have to stick to Accurate until this new one is stable. Really sad, this new sound is intoxicating.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,333 of 11,303
Not by far, but it will take me a while before I can clearly test them all out. Atm, I am too happy with the sound performances, and so...enjoyment is first lol
Me too. Default settings are my end game. I mentioned to Kingwa more punch in the mids and bass would be nice. Not sure anymore. This fw sounds so darned good, one should not touch it,

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #2,334 of 11,303
The soundstage has always amazed me, with this firmware it is the stuff of dream...what the hell. How is it possible for an equipment of this price ? It makes those high-priced brands out there to either seem so much a rip-off, or Kingwa is giving away free equipments LOL!

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #2,335 of 11,303
i think i now need the best speakers 5k can get me.

2 of my friends are running open baffle (PureAudioProject and Spatial Audio) and its the easiest entry into efficient full range sound. I prefer my horns but the expense and effort was far from turn key.

Another friend made a rear loaded horn from a 6.5" full range and is selling it for $450. Speakers like that [w/o crossover] hold my attention for longer listening sessions. I'll inevitably end up with something simple like that.

BTW @Fred @barbas
The accurate.jc and smooth.jic are not an exact file match with R2R7_IIS3accurate and R2R7_IIS3Smooth from 10mo ago.
Should I assume these firmwares have been improved on?

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #2,336 of 11,303
2 of my friends are running open baffle (PureAudioProject and Spatial Audio) and its the easiest entry into efficient full range sound. I prefer my horns but the expense and effort was far from turn key.

Another friend made a rear loaded horn from a 6.5" full range and is selling it for $450. Speakers like that [w/o crossover] hold my attention for longer listening sessions. I'll inevitably end up with something simple like that.

BTW @Fred @barbas
The accurate.jc and smooth.jic are not an exact file match with R2R7_IIS3accurate and R2R7_IIS3Smooth from 10mo ago.
Would not know. @DACLadder? There were variations of both. But the latest one is in another league so... Hoping these glitches get sorted. Might have to do with the new fw being tuned for perfect transports. Highly efficient speakers are alway very involving.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,338 of 11,303
I forgot what the defaults are. Should I remove all jumpers? I wonder if phase-lock-loop is to blame here.

The sound does blow me away. When the source is this good there's no need for exotic wires/caps/tubes to mask a signature that suggests a digital origin.
Yes, no jumper.

Yes, the pll could be to blame. Kingwa mentioned to me there was s new jumper for rj45 i2s to make the pll less picky, it's s0. I suggest you try the hdmi out of your Tanly. With jumper on bypass if you still have glitches.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #2,339 of 11,303
BTW @Fred @barbas

Well, that is interesting. The Accurate and Smooth f/w I put are the ones I collected and used for the past 10 months or so. They were put up for convenience only. I was not aware of a change or variation. What are the differences? Did they change something on I2S?

I will remove Accurate and Smooth from the Microsoft OneDrive to avoid any confusion.

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2,340 of 11,303
I'm having some issues after flashing the new firmware: spdif is now playing with some annoying noise in the right channel, optical is not working at all, USB is OK. Is anyone having similar problems?

With R7V2 I had issue re-jumpering from OS to NOS mode 3. Had bad noise on both IN5 and IN6 I2S. Jumpering back to OS x8 OK and then back to NOS the noise returned (always power cycled). Ambient temps were 79 deg F at the time. Turned the R2R 7 off overnight and reboot the next morning at 65 deg F and OK in NOS Mode 3. After 3 SIngularity board DACs I have learned if they boot and sound OK they will continue to do so until potentially the next power cycle. So I take this in stride these days as it happens on multiple DACs and with different firmware loads. In my normal routine I never change modes or power cycle. Power the DAC(s) on in the morning and shut off in the evening. It's just when I fiddle with the jumpers and reboot a warm DAC I have had issues.

Using I2S IN5 and IN6 I also hear a few more pops with R7V2 on sampling rate changes. Not all the time just randomly. The wider the difference in sampling rate change the more frequent and potentially bigger the pop. Yes, I have the Xilinx pop change installed. This was reported to Kingwa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back