New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #10,621 of 11,368
I've had a few of the DI units here over the years, and the main issue was that the ACSS S/PDIF out only seemed to work with Audio-gd DACs. If I were to buy one myself, simply because of the variety of DACs I have here, I'd ask that to be made a regular S/PDIF output.
Thats because all your Chords are transformer coupled(ACSS works without transfomer coupled dacs).

Example
Ideon Ayazi works fine from DI20HE/ACSS

Also the regular SPDIF/RCA output on DI20HE works fine with all dacs I have tried especially: Chord TT2(+10Mhz DI20HE), it was like a mscaler experience in sound upgrade for me, just more lifelike, more texture and separations.

EDIT: Currawong has corrected me on this, I did not use the whole explaination why it may not work on Chord dacs, and I made an specific assumption that was wrong, but please keep reading further down in the thread for a more "detailed" information from the manual of DI20HE...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #10,622 of 11,368
1693159603725.png

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #10,623 of 11,368
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #10,625 of 11,368
I am just curious, did you compare your Gustard to a similar priced AGD DAC?
Thx

Matt
No, I didn't.
I was considering buying a second hand HE7 to toggle between it and a good D/S, like the Teac UD-701N.
But now, I'm considering a different path for the evolution of my system.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #10,626 of 11,368
The DI-20HE has both a standard SPDIF output and a SPDIF/ACSS output + AES and I2S outputs.
I must be blind, stupid, and never have read the web page for the DI-20HE, nor ever seen a picture of one, despite being one of the primary people who encouraged Kingwa to make products for Head-Fiers back in 2009, and the person who started this thread.
Thats because all your Chords are transformer coupled(ACSS works without transfomer coupled dacs).

Example
Ideon Ayazi works fine from DI20HE/ACSS

Also the regular SPDIF/RCA output on DI20HE works fine with all dacs I have tried especially: Chord TT2(+10Mhz DI20HE), it was like a mscaler experience in sound upgrade for me, just more lifelike, more texture and separations
I have had DACs here from something like a dozen different manufacturers.
Chord DAC S/PDIF connections are not transformer coupled, nor would any manufacturer even consider transformer coupling S/PDIF, as it would mess up the impedance.

Please people, if you really want to trash Audio-gd's reputation on this forum, fanboy them harder, and make sure you also go around the threads of other manufacturers that make competing products, and proudly announce how crap they are in comparison, including posting information about them which is completely false. Make sure also to attack anyone who disagrees with you. Let's make Audio-gd Great Again.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #10,627 of 11,368
It's an Audio-gd thread so it's difficult to understand what's bothering you. I found your post not very helpful because it seems that what you wrote is what you object to about what other people may have been misinterpreted as saying. So, let's hope we misinterpreted your post(s) and then we can all be friends again :wink:

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #10,628 of 11,368
I must be blind, stupid, and never have read the web page for the DI-20HE, nor ever seen a picture of one, despite being one of the primary people who encouraged Kingwa to make products for Head-Fiers back in 2009, and the person who started this thread.

I have had DACs here from something like a dozen different manufacturers.
Chord DAC S/PDIF connections are not transformer coupled, nor would any manufacturer even consider transformer coupling S/PDIF, as it would mess up the impedance.

Please people, if you really want to trash Audio-gd's reputation on this forum, fanboy them harder, and make sure you also go around the threads of other manufacturers that make competing products, and proudly announce how crap they are in comparison, including posting information about them which is completely false. Make sure also to attack anyone who disagrees with you. Let's make Audio-gd Great Again.
Maan! If you did not make this thread I was gonna think you are trolling. I am sorry here is some further explaination for you ...sir!

"In theory, when the DI outputs the current coaxial signal to a DAC using a regular coaxial input, thus receiving the current through a 75Ohms resistor, the signal gets naturally converted to a 0.5VPP voltage coaxial signal. Therefore, most DAC can receive this signal and will benefit from this technology .
(Note that If the DAC's coaxial input has a built-in transformer, or if the input impedance is not 75 ohm, or if the input sensitivity is not 0.5VPP @ 75Ohm, the ACSS coaxial connection may not work properly ) ."

:::

And Chord makes the most beautiful dacs out there. I love the design. They sound good, but I rather put the money on sound rather than design. Im sorry for that

:::

This is your own comment.
I've had a few of the DI units here over the years, and the main issue was that the ACSS S/PDIF out only seemed to work with Audio-gd DACs. If I were to buy one myself, simply because of the variety of DACs I have here, I'd ask that to be made a regular S/PDIF output.

Please list the DACs or one from your memory that does not work from the "regular" spdif output on DI20HE....you are trolling aren´t you?
:joy:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #10,629 of 11,368
"In theory, when the DI outputs the current coaxial signal to a DAC using a regular coaxial input, thus receiving the current through a 75Ohms resistor, the signal gets naturally converted to a 0.5VPP voltage coaxial signal. Therefore, most DAC can receive this signal and will benefit from this technology .
(Note that If the DAC's coaxial input has a built-in transformer, or if the input impedance is not 75 ohm, or if the input sensitivity is not 0.5VPP @ 75Ohm, the ACSS coaxial connection may not work properly ) ."

Well, S/PDIF is only when you have no other choice (Super / Please Dispense with It Finally! :D )

AES/EBU or bust :wink:

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #10,630 of 11,368
Well, S/PDIF is only when you have no other choice (Super / Please Dispense with It Finally! :D )

AES/EBU or bust :wink:
I have more serious problems than that, I can not get my Xbox Controller to work in Server 2022. I wanna play Rocket League

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #10,631 of 11,368
I have more serious problems than that, I can not get my Xbox Controller to work in Server 2022. I wanna play Rocket League

1693177623609.png

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #10,632 of 11,368
I will admit one or two did quite a bit of this, not exactly stating that other products were crap but rather that they had certain flaws. This is not a good idea, nor classy, I recognize. They have been quite bit out of line.

On the other hand, this very thread has been the subject of many shill attacks. Kingwa had to face adversity more than anyone else i know of. But it does not justify a revenge, of course. We should all try to stay calm, respectful, helpful and polite.

Gustard and Holo make very good products AFAIC. This competition between Chinese audio makers is good for us, this give us a variety of buying options and push them to do better. This is the golden age of a Chinese audio. That is just great. A real taste of high-end for reasonable money.

As for the di20he, it is something else compared to the former di2014. No comparison possible.

Aug 29, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #10,634 of 11,368
It was obviously me who triggered the reactions so therefore Im sorry. Like @ToddRaymond said word for word....
Touchy subject!

I believe OCC7N is only attempting to his express his appreciation for the DI-20HE, and showing his respect for you as a reviewer – albeit, in perhaps a rather pushy manner, yes.

I'm fairly certain you are free to conduct a review of the device with or without Kingwa's blessing.

I have actually said all the things I wanna say about Audio-gd. Im not gonna "overhype" it again, as it can create the opposite reaction as Currawong has mentioned. It makes sence and good point.

To be fair, I also wanna point out that I wanted to downsize my system and interest started for other brands, it was NOT an attempt/intent to trash any other brands because they er smaller, but to emphasize(hype) AGD included goods. I´m sure there are smaller dacs with power/pairing, that could beat AGD to even my likings, but not the ones I have tried(could afford/justify)
__

Here is some "underhype", seriously, jokes aside ... but also contradicting...

I have learned that the AGD sound is locked to the signature sound/character, the house sound, but fully open chain where every "flaw" comes through. This is contradicting in itself because the sound won´t deviate from the sound signature/character as much DACs with external power tweaks/conditioners that I have tried.

All my tweaks has resulted in that the sound just gets more pure in lows and highs. That is why you gotta love what you hear on the burn-in journey, even though there are tweaks to made a head of that journey.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #10,635 of 11,368
So why aren't there more review(er)s about AGD then? Kind of "punches far above it's price point" type of reviews, right? like many of you are convinced of.
Enough devices too talk about also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back