New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #6,616 of 11,260
I was hoping that someone would reply saying that :) It’s not really clear on the Audio-GD site but doesn’t the R8 come with 300 hrs burn in already or is that the recommended burn in time? It’s really hard to decipher some of language on the site sometimes :) I’ll keep burning in past 100hrs and hope fir the best. I would have to say the popping has improved slightly after 15hrs so far. By the way connecting the DI-20 into the R8 with HDMI (regular cable) sounds ridiculously good. Can’t wait to receive the Harmon Technology Magic HDMI.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #6,619 of 11,260
I was hoping that someone would reply saying that :) It’s not really clear on the Audio-GD site but doesn’t the R8 come with 300 hrs burn in already or is that the recommended burn in time? It’s really hard to decipher some of language on the site sometimes :) I’ll keep burning in past 100hrs and hope fir the best. I would have to say the popping has improved slightly after 15hrs so far. By the way connecting the DI-20 into the R8 with HDMI (regular cable) sounds ridiculously good. Can’t wait to receive the Harmon Technology Magic HDMI.
The r8 gets only 100 hours, i would think.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,620 of 11,260
Hi - yes. From my Project stream box and directly out of my Microsoft Surface Tablet. It was far more pronounced from the project stream box.

All units are plugged in using quality power cables plugged into an AQ Niagara power supply. I plugged the source (Microsoft Surface) into the AQ Niagara and also into a separate power conditioner in case there was a ground loop causing the noise. With the SPDIF (AQ cinnamon) the crackling /popping sounds were reduced by half as I used it from the DI-20 into the R8. Then switched to a HDMI (Di-20 to R8) and it was reduced even further by 25%. But unfortunately the cracking / popping noise still comes in every few seconds - it's not very loud overall. I would say it's more audible depending on the genre of music and sometimes you can miss it altogether but it's there for sure. I mainly use this as a headphone set so you can really hear the noise through the headphones. I thought maybe it's my new Artic Cable Silver/palladium so I switched back to my older cables (Nordost Heimdell 2) and the noise still came through...I pinged Kingwa these details and waiting for his response. I would much prefer to just keep the unit vs the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a fix or replacement but it's 8just too unbearable to overlook...
My R8 has about 150 hours, silent from the beginning. No popping or crackling. Mainly feeded by HDMI, but I tried with usb and spdif.

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #6,621 of 11,260
Last thing would be to try a toskink or spdif source.

Mar 6, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #6,622 of 11,260
@emveeve Nice job...You tried two USB devices (though much alike) and doing the same. I would say now get basic and try just a CD player or something besides your computer audio feed. If that,works get basic and just connect the Surface USB only directly to the DAC. May be something not compatible, needs change in buffering, too much delay, or tweak in mode of operation. Go simple and see how that works.

Before sending the DAC back check it out as much as you can. If Kingwa can’t find a problem he could send it back as is.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #6,624 of 11,260
@emveeve Nice job...You tried two USB devices (though much alike) and doing the same. I would say now get basic and try just a CD player or something besides your computer audio feed. If that,works get basic and just connect the Surface USB only directly to the DAC. May be something not compatible, needs change in buffering, too much delay, or tweak in mode of operation. Go simple and see how that works.

Before sending the DAC back check it out as much as you can. If Kingwa can’t find a problem he could send it back as is.
I actually don't own a CD player - thinking maybe my son's PS4 (if he'll allow me to disconnect it!). I tried the Surface into the DAC through various USB cables - it's the most pronounced that route. Going through the DI-20 actually reduced it quite a bit but it's still there...I'll see if I can borrow someone's CD player. thanks!

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #6,626 of 11,260
I used both Balanced to the amp and ACSS to the amp. Same issue. I used the M19 w/ an RME ADI-2-FS and a Bluenode 2i - no issues. The amp is good for sure...so I'll keep burning in and see...hoping it just magically goes away...but we all know that's not how it works :)

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #6,627 of 11,260
Did you try those ? https://magnahifi.com/m-way-acss-ntrl-reference-analogue-balanced-interlink-mini-xlr/
I compared several and found the mway by far the most natural and smooth sounding.
I have them. They were much cheaper back then when I bought them.

To be honest, my system sounds incredibly good for me, but I haven't compared them with another ACSS or XLR, so I can't coment on how good it is and I don't know if I'm willing to spend 400 U$S on a silver cable. It's some how out of my budget now.

Mar 6, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #6,628 of 11,260
I have them. They were much cheaper back then when I bought them.

To be honest, my system sounds incredibly good for me, but I haven't compared them with another ACSS or XLR, so I can't coment on how good it is and I don't know if I'm willing to spend 400 U$S on a silver cable. It's some how out of my budget now.
I have tried many cables, only one though which was not DIY, before. Compared to the Nimak, all of them sound like s..t. I never thought i would make such a statement one day. Maybe i am going too far, but at least that is how i feel at the moment after 3 nights of audio nirvana. And it keeps improving. I am afraid i will end up levitating. You never know what an overdose of audio nirvana can do... I think it can perhaps even stop a "plandemic" .

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #6,630 of 11,260
Maybe we can ask Nimak's owner to offer a trial period :ksc75smile:
This cable is ridiculously good, Pedro. I would be inclined to call it a major upgrade. In my whole audiophile journey, i never got any cable that made more of a difference. I also was very impressed with the Nimak Black usb cable. But again the acss is something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back