New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #6,453 of 11,296
You have a very nice system. How do you like your HE1 XLR?

Thx :)

I see the M1 Vacuum XLR as the most satisfying device in my setup because it brings the soul back in the music :ok_hand:

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #6,454 of 11,296
I've been testing out the HE stack (DI20HE, R7HE, HE9) 2021 version. Best I've heard all my HPs sound but unfortunately the R7HE has an issue with the RCA Coax-input. It starts producing prominent scratching/popping artifacts after about 1 hour of play (when the DAC warms up). The actual blue LED screen starts flickering as well, coinciding with each of these artifacts. The HDMI input doesn't have any issues (but doesn't sound quite as good as the Coax input to me, partly because I'm using an Audioquest Diamond cable for Coax and a mere BJC Series-Fe for HDMI). I've swapped the cables, the DAC, amp, transport and it's definitely the R7HE causing distortion.

Having spoken to Kingwa, he's advised me to send it back to China to have it repaired. For anyone in North America (and ideally Canada), what's a cheap, reliable way to ship to China?
Also, if anyone else has ideas before I do RMA the DAC, I'm all ears. It's definitely the best I've ever heard. Blows away the Yggdrasil 2 USB Gen. 5.

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #6,455 of 11,296
I've been testing out the HE stack (DI20HE, R7HE, HE9) 2021 version. Best I've heard all my HPs sound but unfortunately the R7HE has an issue with the RCA Coax-input. It starts producing prominent scratching/popping artifacts after about 1 hour of play (when the DAC warms up). The actual blue LED screen starts flickering as well, coinciding with each of these artifacts. The HDMI input doesn't have any issues (but doesn't sound quite as good as the Coax input to me, partly because I'm using an Audioquest Diamond cable for Coax and a mere BJC Series-Fe for HDMI). I've swapped the cables, the DAC, amp, transport and it's definitely the R7HE causing distortion.

Having spoken to Kingwa, he's advised me to send it back to China to have it repaired. For anyone in North America (and ideally Canada), what's a cheap, reliable way to ship to China?
Also, if anyone else has ideas before I do RMA the DAC, I'm all ears. It's definitely the best I've ever heard. Blows away the Yggdrasil 2 USB Gen. 5.
Canada Post was a few hundred dollars last time i checked. Should do it.

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #6,456 of 11,296
@Shahrose. You need to test with some other source, not only with DI-20HE to make sure that you won't send back the wrong part. The main suspect is R7HE, but it is not 100% sure. Connect other S/PDIF source and a different (even cheap) cable. I also suggest to test USB input directly for quality, bypassing DI-20HE completely (disconnecting all other input cables from R7). Alternative test using optical cable between DI-20 and R7 (again, disconnecting all other cables).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #6,457 of 11,296
Just received my Nimak Black USB today....
Set it up and first......no sound....DAC not even recognized by Squeezelite !!!
Had to plug and unplug several times and on the B connector push a bit back the isolation on the connector to be able to push it correctly inside the DAC...and it finally worked...
Will give my listening feedback soon....immediately, I can notice a tighter and stronger bass....more layered scenery and space....

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,458 of 11,296
@Shahrose. You need to test with some other source, not only with DI-20HE to make sure that you won't send back the wrong part. The main suspect is R7HE, but it is not 100% sure. Connect other S/PDIF source and a different (even cheap) cable. I also suggest to test USB input directly for quality, bypassing DI-20HE completely (disconnecting all other input cables from R7). Alternative test using optical cable between DI-20 and R7 (again, disconnecting all other cables).

Good point. I did use the DI20HE Coaxial output with the Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC for 24 hours without issue. I also used two different coaxial cables.
So basically, with multiple cables and a different DAC the DI20HE doesn't misbehave. To your point though, one thing I haven't tried is using a different transport altogether. I have a DI20 as well so will swap that for the DI20HE. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #6,459 of 11,296
Good point. I did use the DI20HE Coaxial output with the Audio-gd Reference 7.1 DAC for 24 hours without issue. I also used two different coaxial cables.
So basically, with multiple cables and a different DAC the DI20HE doesn't misbehave. To your point though, one thing I haven't tried is using a different transport altogether. I have a DI20 as well so will swap that for the DI20HE. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried the DI20 and got the same result. I'll be shipping the DAC back for repairs.

However, to add some useful info for others. This DAC is easily the best I've heard. Nothing has come close (check my profile for full gear list). Amazingly black background, micro and macrodynamics, super punchy, tight, textured bass with proper clarity throughout the frequency range. Nothing sounds harsh, everything sounds pleasing and yet it's highly revealing of recordings. It pulls off a liquid yet simultaneously laser-focused sound. Soundstage is holographic and layered with excellent overall size/scale.

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #6,461 of 11,296

Try different source , i had same issues with my old pc , new pc doesnt have any problem.
i hope this will help

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #6,462 of 11,296
Hello,
Can I have some opinions on the topic 'R7 vs R8' and whether you should get the 'HE' versions when you have an external power regenerator?
It is said that the R8 vs R7 is very close sonically and I can't decide whether I should go for the R7 or save some money with the R8.
(Read the last 40 pages but I only found one comment that you don't need 'HE' if you have external power regenerator)
Thank you!

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #6,463 of 11,296
The r7he is better than a r7 combined with an external regenerator according to Kingwa, not miles better though. The r7 has only a small sonic advantage over the r8. If you want to use an external clock, it's only possible with the r7/he. The dac that has the best perfomance/price ratio it the r8he. If you don't need the external clock input, it's the dac to go for instead of the regular r7.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #6,465 of 11,296
I tried the DI20 and got the same result. I'll be shipping the DAC back for repairs.

However, to add some useful info for others. This DAC is easily the best I've heard. Nothing has come close (check my profile for full gear list). Amazingly black background, micro and macrodynamics, super punchy, tight, textured bass with proper clarity throughout the frequency range. Nothing sounds harsh, everything sounds pleasing and yet it's highly revealing of recordings. It pulls off a liquid yet simultaneously laser-focused sound. Soundstage is holographic and layered with excellent overall size/scale.

That is unfortunate. Glad you like the R7-HE 2021 sound. And it’s really not even broken in! Can’t wait to try an HE powered DAC. Kingwa says it will be a huge upgrade over the almost 4 yr. old R7.

N. America need a sales and service center for Audio GD. Place to buy parts and get service/ tech support. Install mods, upgrades, and quote new product. Like Magna Hifi in the EU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back