New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 2, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #6,421 of 11,356
Magna Hifi has a nice R7 upgrade service. You can choose the options you want and save a bunch of money over buying a new DAC and taking a loss on the older one. In my case with a R7 2019 I only want USB/HDMi isolated, isolation power supply, and 10M clock input. All for 179+40+79 = 298 euros. That is a bargain as I’m sure Magna would warranty the work for a while. Shipping cost both ways but a new R7HE sent from Kingwa will set me back $175 for one way shipping.

I wish North America had such a service. European customers are lucky to have Magna for possible resource.
https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-r7-r7he-m7s-he7-2021-full-service-upgrade/

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #6,422 of 11,356
Question,

I just build a new music streamer including the following Ian Canada parts,

FIFOPI Q3 (with Accusilicon 45MHz/49MHz clock's)
ESS SABRE 90X8 controller with display
TRANSPORTPI
STATIONPI
LIFEPO4 MKIII
UCADAPTER
UCHYBRID Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Boards 3,3V
UCMATECONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board 5V
MAXWELL Supercapacitors 2,7V 325F (6X)
Lithiumwerks ANR 26650 Li-ion Cell's

So now I wonder, which clocks are determining, the clock's on the FifoPi Q3 board, the clock's in my R8 DAC or do both determine the quality of the clock signal?

Picture of my new Raspian streamer,

A clean usb signal help the usb receiver it seems. I can testify that a good streamer is a worthwhile investment. Utltimately, the clock in your r8 determines the timing. But a clean usb signal likely means less noise transferred to the digital board, thus reduced jitter.

Changing usb cable on my setup changes the sound. Same thing with the dc cable. I just added a Ghent audio cable along with a 5.5/2.1 socket between the Shanti psu and the usbridge. Made the sound better, but cannot be so assertive as the shanti is still burning in. And i have a new usb cable burning in to. But the sound i get is the best ever. Awesome treble, imaging and bass.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #6,423 of 11,356
Magna Hifi has a nice R7 upgrade service. You can choose the options you want and save a bunch of money over buying a new DAC and taking a loss on the older one. In my case with a R7 2019 I only want USB/HDMi isolated, isolation power supply, and 10M clock input. All for 179+40+79 = 298 euros. That is a bargain as I’m sure Magna would warranty the work for a while. Shipping cost both ways but a new R7HE sent from Kingwa will set me back $175 for one way shipping.

I wish North America has such a service. European customers are lucky to have Magna for possible resource.
https://magnahifi.com/audio-gd-r7-r7he-m7s-he7-2021-full-service-upgrade/

hello, I will do the 2021 upgrades during the week, and maybe the silver wiring and the capacitor changes.
I will therefore have it modified for a 10M master clock input.
even if I do not have the utility. there is a good 10M clock which would allow a significant sound gain.
i don't know anything about it, but i see that the gustard c16 is accessible and cheap.

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #6,424 of 11,356
hello, I will do the 2021 upgrades during the week, and maybe the silver wiring and the capacitor changes.
even if I do not have the utility. there is a good 10M clock which would allow a significant sound gain.
i don't know anything about it, but i see that the gustard c16 is accessible and cheap.
Many including me have a morion mv89a clock from this ebay seller (plus an ultra-low noise 12v psu from another seller and a ghentaudio dc cable in my case) . You'll also need a 50omh digital cable. Around 400usd for all.

https://www.ebay.ca/usr/queen*s_land?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Jan 2, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #6,425 of 11,356

We’ll be interested in your impression of the USB/ I2S upgrades. The caps/Ag wires change as well. Get a good 10M clock if you ever get curious.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,426 of 11,356
We’ll be interested in your impression of the USB/ I2S upgrades. The caps/Ag wires change as well. Get a good 10M clock if you ever get curious.

USB / I2S upgrades are really the only upgrade that matters to me. because I go through the usb input only. I
hope to gain some clarity
For the clock, I have not understood everything when it comes to connection .... Should my Source (pc) be connected via usb to the master clock and the master clock to the new R7 input after upgrade?...i think not because there is no usb input in Gustard c16 for exemple

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #6,427 of 11,356
@Sebas75 USB line side is packet based so a 10M clocked PC may not make any difference. But don’t know. The USB chip still has to decode the line data, stuff it in memory, and then on the output side read it out at the audio clock speeds. But never heard of 10M capable PC. If it makes the data path simpler it could have positive affects.

Synchronous USB on the I2S output side should be significant upgrade and makes USB data alignment in the FPGA a much simpler process. No PLL require is the big benefit going synchronous. The USB data now is fully synchronous with DACs Accusilicons (internal) or 10M (synthesized clocks).

HDMI I2S is still asynchronous process and not exactly sure what is going there. I2S’s Mclk is no longer used but sounds better today than before 2019. So won’t argue.

May not be the 2021 models but some day all inputs will sound equally good. They get closer and closer every year.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #6,429 of 11,356
A clean usb signal help the usb receiver it seems. I can testify that a good streamer is a worthwhile investment. Utltimately, the clock in your r8 determines the timing. But a clean usb signal likely means less noise transferred to the digital board, thus reduced jitter.

Changing usb cable on my setup changes the sound. Same thing with the dc cable. I just added a Ghent audio cable along with a 5.5/2.1 socket between the Shanti psu and the usbridge. Made the sound better, but cannot be so assertive as the shanti is still burning in. And i have a new usb cable burning in to. But the sound i get is the best ever. Awesome treble, imaging and bass.

I only use i2s and spdif, but in this case spdif sounds much beter :)

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #6,431 of 11,356
anyone have the link to the audio-gd page where I can order the usb/i2s upgrade? I have the 2020 r-27 with accusilicon clock/usb isolation upgrade already so it's solder-free right? just plug internal cables and screw in i2s and usb boards?

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #6,433 of 11,356
Thanks JaMo! When I receive the upgrade I'll take pics of how easy it is(hopefully) seems like I just need to push in those plastic molex connectors and not solder anything
edit: Just ordered it! and they gave me a discount because my unit was from November, so close to the update
dumb question but do I install the firmware update BEFORE installing the new cards or just after?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #6,434 of 11,356
So now I wonder, which clocks are determining, the clock's on the FifoPi Q3 board, the clock's in my R8 DAC or do both determine the quality of the clock signal?

Someone who can enlighten me on this still open question?

Btw, I use the MCLK output from the FifoPi Q3 to the TransportPi.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #6,435 of 11,356
Thanks JaMo! When I receive the upgrade I'll take pics of how easy it is(hopefully) seems like I just need to push in those plastic molex connectors and not solder anything
edit: Just ordered it! and they gave me a discount because my unit was from November, so close to the update
dumb question but do I install the firmware update BEFORE installing the new cards or just after?
Either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back