New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #6,406 of 11,356
The Nimak black is an excellent choice for 200$ or so shipped. The Purple is even better but cost 600$.
Have some of you tested this one: NEOTECH NEUB-1020 ?

Yes I use this NEOTECH 1020 USB cable at the output of a Matrix H.
I was advised on a French forum, here a lot of people use it and indicate that there is not much better.
for my part, j would have trouble indicating these characteristics, because i having changed DAC, Usb cable and installed the matrix card at the same time.
otherwise I'm still a fan of my R7, but I still find the sound not enough clear* so I'm interested in your feedback on the changes to the amanero 2021

* for me the R7 2019 with the Usb input and connection to a Windows PC, incredible soundstage, wide, treble never tiring, soft, very good bass, good with all style of music but slightly hazy compared to my old Dac

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #6,407 of 11,356
Yes I use this NEOTECH 1020 USB cable at the output of a Matrix H.
I was advised on a French forum, here a lot of people use it and indicate that there is not much better.
for my part, j would have trouble indicating these characteristics, because i having changed DAC, Usb cable and installed the matrix card at the same time.
otherwise I'm still a fan of my R7, but I still find the sound slightly hazy* so I'm interested in your feedback on the changes to the amanero 2021

* for me the R7 2019 with the Usb input and connection to a Windows PC, incredible soundstage, wide, treble never tiring, soft, very good bass, good with all style of music but slightly hazy compared to my old Dac
The usb cable is icing on the cake, the amanero upgrade should be the cake.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #6,413 of 11,356
Oh Yes! You will get a holographic sounds, like an exploded view in a technical manual. You are inside the scene i some sense. You will have a clearer image of where and what's going on. Still laid back end easy flowing. Totally worth it!
If You are sending to Magna, like @DACLadder earlier said take their caps upgrade when they are at it. I am sure it is greatly rewarding.
/J

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #6,417 of 11,356
Ok for the low jitter level but in terms of sound? is it more transparent?

@Sebas75 After now some few hours with the new upgrade, please find hereby my first impressions:

* Soundstage has become wider than it used to be and its depth has increased a lot as well, becoming more immersive.
* The overall sound signature has improved a lot and is now more realistic, with more harmonic details and micro details becoming better placed in the overall space.
* The high frequencies have become more silky, closer to reality (quite impressive on jazz drums) with a real improvement on harmonic richness
* Micro dynamic has improved as well, providing a better nuance capability and a wider palette of intermediary sound levels when needed
* Global dynamic is similar to previous setup
* Bass has become richer in details and clarity without any global emphasis

To conclude, IMHO this upgrade is an absolute must, enabling these DACs to get closer to reality... a fantastic performance of the design team to improve our sources in such a quantic step

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #6,418 of 11,356
@Sebas75 After now some few hours with the new upgrade, please find hereby my first impressions:

* Soundstage has become wider than it used to be and its depth has increased a lot as well, becoming more immersive.
* The overall sound signature has improved a lot and is now more realistic, with more harmonic details and micro details becoming better placed in the overall space.
* The high frequencies have become more silky, closer to reality (quite impressive on jazz drums) with a real improvement on harmonic richness
* Micro dynamic has improved as well, providing a better nuance capability and a wider palette of intermediary sound levels when needed
* Global dynamic is similar to previous setup
* Bass has become richer in details and clarity without any global emphasis

To conclude, IMHO this upgrade is an absolute must, enabling these DACs to get closer to reality... a fantastic performance of the design team to improve our sources in such a quantic step

Great! thanks, my R7 will be leaving next week for updates!

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #6,419 of 11,356
Ordered an R8 2021 (with the Silver R2R Upgrade) that will replace my R8 2018, I am very curious !!

Jan 2, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #6,420 of 11,356
Question,

I just build a new music streamer including the following Ian Canada parts,

FIFOPI Q3 (with Accusilicon 45MHz/49MHz clock's)
ESS SABRE 90X8 controller with display
TRANSPORTPI
STATIONPI
LIFEPO4 MKIII
UCADAPTER
UCHYBRID Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Boards 3,3V
UCMATECONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board 5V
MAXWELL Supercapacitors 2,7V 325F (6X)
Lithiumwerks ANR 26650 Li-ion Cell's

So now I wonder, which clocks are determining, the clock's on the FifoPi Q3 board, the clock's in my R8 DAC or do both determine the quality of the clock signal?

Picture of my new Raspian streamer,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back