New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 6, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #6,481 of 11,260
@ymlee. Have you tried other 2-ch DACs instead of the R7-HE? They will all sound dry and 2D compared to the Atmos simulator. You may just like the Atmos sound which is all about ambience and 3D space. Try a different brand DAC for a test but think they will give similar results.

The R7 or similar DACs do not have the processing capability to synthesize Atmos space. Just a simple FPGA.

And since you have a Krell amp can you connect Krell CAST to HE9 ACSS output? Instead of XLR. Same with R7HE to HE9 use ACSS. The dealer should be able supply cables. Much more dynamic/ lower noise. And best bass using the DI-20HE over I2S. The dealer has those as well. You are fortunate to be able to audition before purchasing. We all wish we had that luxury!

I only test Dolby Atmos on my existing dac Teac NT-505, bass do get better but still behind of R7He, and even ROON+Tidal is better than USB+Dolby Atmos. 3D effects was gone on Teac NT-505.

Btw, how you guys test the Dolby Atmos?
I just have to install Dolby Atmos for headphone into my PC and activate it, no additional hardware are required for the Dolby testing.

My Krell is KAV series, it did't come with CAST, if I am not mistaken, only FBP series or above come with CAST.
DI-20HE, the demo unit, already sold to another customer, and the dealer don't have stock right now T_T.
Another bad news for me is the dealer run out of stock for ACSS cable too, worse come to worse is Audio-gd already closed down for Chinese New Year. But somehow I managed to order ACSS cable from Magna Hifi which cost me 39 Euro, due to Magna is located at the other side on Earth and I need it urgently, the courier alone cost me another 75 Euro, and the ACSS cable should be arrived on next Monday, hope there is good result for the ACSS.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #6,482 of 11,260
I only use Atmos with my TV and soundbar system with either blu-ray, Netflix, Prime as the source. And its just an Atmos decoder and no synthesis. I keep 2-ch music - two channels and listen on a dedicated stereo music system.

And as said the 2020 version of internal USB is not as good as the 2021 USB version that runs synchronously. I’ve heard very good things synchronous USB and can’t wait to try it.

Instead of spending money on cables just wait until the Audio GD shop opens up and get a full demo. Including the very latest 2021 offerings. But Kingwa sells ACSS cables for $26usd. The dealer may be able to order for you and save on fees/ shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/CablesEN.htm

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #6,483 of 11,260
I only use Atmos with my TV and soundbar system with either blu-ray, Netflix, Prime as the source. And its just an Atmos decoder and no synthesis. I keep 2-ch music - two channels and listen on a dedicated stereo music system.

And as said the 2020 version of internal USB is not as good as the 2021 USB version that runs synchronously. I’ve heard very good things synchronous USB and can’t wait to try it.

Instead of spending money on cables just wait until the Audio GD shop opens up and get a full demo. Including the very latest 2021 offerings. But Kingwa sells ACSS cables for $25usd. The dealer may be able to order for you and saves on fees/ shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/CablesEN.htm

Feb 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #6,484 of 11,260
Dolby Atmos is not of interest to the audiophile, I doubt that Kingwa will take up the topic.
The ACSS cable probably won't bring you as much as you expect. You could make such a cable yourself, it would be faster and cheaper.
The Krell KAV series amplifier does not have a CAST input, I know because I had several.

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #6,486 of 11,260
I haven't spent too much time comparing but I still prefer my Sonore Ultradigital usb to i2s converter with my r27 2021 instead of just straight usb from my intel NUC. maybe if I had a nicer usb source it would be as good as i2s?

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #6,488 of 11,260
I haven't spent too much time comparing but I still prefer my Sonore Ultradigital usb to i2s converter with my r27 2021 instead of just straight usb from my intel NUC. maybe if I had a nicer usb source it would be as good as i2s?
A silent streamer with good usb cable sure make a difference, no doubt.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #6,489 of 11,260
Anyone here did try external clock with R7HE 2020? Mine after connecting external click, the Amaneno USB port keep flicking. The clock was used for Teac Nt-505 without any problem, clock output signal is 10mhz sine wave with 50ohm cable.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #6,490 of 11,260
I use an external masterlock Mutek 120 for R7HE 2020 + Di20HE, no problems except that on the converter I have to turn on the ext.clock input every time.
I haven't turned on the USB input on my DAC for a long time, but I remember that it worked fine.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #6,492 of 11,260
Anyone here did try external clock with R7HE 2020? Mine after connecting external click, the Amaneno USB port keep flicking. The clock was used for Teac Nt-505 without any problem, clock output signal is 10mhz sine wave with 50ohm cable.
Check for firmware upgrade. Kingwa prefers square clock, some devices required upgrade to support both. I don't own this, can't say it is a case. For discussion of square vs sine see this post and the following: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/post-15534992

Feb 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #6,493 of 11,260
Audio-Gd R-8 2021 caught my attention as I'm looking for a new DAC. Looking at several brands and models. Anyone heard this? Or owns one?

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #6,494 of 11,260
Audio-Gd R-8 2021 caught my attention as I'm looking for a new DAC. Looking at several brands and models. Anyone heard this? Or owns one?

The impression on the former model still apply, the big difference is the built in usb input is much better. Good enough that an external converter is not a must anymore.

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #6,495 of 11,260
Any reports on the R7(HE) 2021? Synchronous USB input? 10M input vs XOs? i2S? How does it sound? R8 2021s as well...

Yes, I compared the direct USB input of the R7HE (2021) with the Coax and HDMI input of the R7HE fed by the DI20HE. The latter is noticeably better still; a larger soundstage and more liquidity in the mids/treble being the chief differences.

Interestingly, the audio-gd Reference 7.1 from years back has a significantly larger soundstage than the R7HE and the Yggy2 and sounds only slightly less tight/focused/detailed than the R7HE (and equal to the Yggy2). This is only with the DI20HE (or DI20) feeding it. Maybe a function of firmware or perhaps some of the old PCM1704UK magic that has yet to be emulated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back