New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 27, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #6,122 of 11,260
I read as many R7HE (and R7) posts as I could. Would anyone care to share updates on their impressions or comparisons with other DACs?

On the fence about getting one.

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #6,123 of 11,260
I read as many R7HE (and R7) posts as I could. Would anyone care to share updates on their impressions or comparisons with other DACs?

Buy it without any hesitation, man the amount of customizability in sound is very helpful if you have more than one amp or more than one headphone or speaker, you can make it bright or warm , you can make it sound fuller and euphonic or super detailed and clinical in a good way , just pick your flavor , beside that its quality in general is very very good in all aspects , one thing don't use the USB input it is bad like any other DAC.

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #6,125 of 11,260
Buy it without any hesitation, man the amount of customizability in sound is very helpful if you have more than one amp or more than one headphone or speaker, you can make it bright or warm , you can make it sound fuller and euphonic or super detailed and clinical in a good way , just pick your flavor , beside that its quality in general is very very good in all aspects , one thing don't use the USB input it is bad like any other DAC.

The Yggdrasil 2 (latest one) was better than the audio-gd Reference 7.1 when comparing the USB inputs. As soon as I got the audio-gd DI20, the Ref 7.1 became the superior DAC. Considering the Ref 7.1 is several years older than the Yggy2, this was pretty surprising/impressive. I ended up selling the Schiit which I had initially bought as an upgrade.

If Kingwa has made headway since the Ref7.1, of which I have no doubt, I'm confident the R7HE will be leagues beyond the Yggy2.

I have half a mind to replace the Master 9 and DI20 with a full HE chain ie. DI20HE > R7HE > HE9 and never look back.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #6,126 of 11,260

Of the R2R DACs available that I've tried, the R7 and Yggdrasil are the only ones that have been consistently good with everything from CD quality music to high-res (and DSD for the R7). There are a few brands I haven't tried yet though.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #6,128 of 11,260
Have you tried anything from Holo Audio?
Yes, I reviewed the Holo Spring on Youtube. I'd take the R7 personally.

Oct 28, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #6,130 of 11,260
Dont wanna ask, but do you think that DAVE is still the better one?
Chord devices are not R2R. Not a direct comparison, as technolologies are so different, sound is different... You will hate one, some others will love it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #6,131 of 11,260
Yes, I reviewed the Holo Spring on Youtube. I'd take the R7 personally.
Currawong, have you had a chance to upgrade your Yggdrasil to the Unison USB and Analog 2 board? I was curious if the R7 is still an equivalent match sound wise in your opinion.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #6,132 of 11,260
Currawong, have you had a chance to upgrade your Yggdrasil to the Unison USB and Analog 2 board? I was curious if the R7 is still an equivalent match sound wise in your opinion.
DacLadder has the R7 that I had here, which was an early-production model. I did upgrade my Yggdrasil fully, but I didn't get a change to compare them.

Nov 8, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #6,134 of 11,260
I dunno why audio-gd says it's compatible with ps audio i2s settings when the audio-gd settings have 2 of the 10 dipswitches in different positions.. but anyway I confirmed tonight on my sonore ultradigital that these settings that sonore gives are correct for my R27 which has the R8 DAC inside.. btw r27 is incredible as a dac and a headphone amp and to be a preamp to my speaker amps.. I wish the remote control worked better from side angles though.. I have to make sure I'm pointing directly at the screen to make it work which is a little frustrating

ultradigital switches.jpg

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #6,135 of 11,260
i bought NuPrime CDT-8 Pro (cd player) with i2s output that work with PS audio Dac's and it didnt work with my R7, shame on audio gd for the misinformation,

is there any switch/dip box that can fix that ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back