New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 16, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #6,016 of 11,260
Review in Dutch
http://modelpromo.nl/PinkFaun-I2S-Bridge.htm

Note that it seems to be PCM only, limited to 192KHz and need DAC within 1M of your computer
Correct the Pink Faun I2S bridge supports PCM only. The Pink Faun USB bridge supports PCM and DSD.
Nice bridges by the way, specially the modular design and the ability to change / upgrade the bridge with e.g. better OCXO clock.

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #6,017 of 11,260
Hello Everyone,
I'm new in Head-Fi and a big fan of Audio-GD products.

Does someone use Audio-GD amp with Usher speakers? Good combination?
I read good reviews about Usher Audio from Taiwan, and I planning a Usher Dancer Mini-X. The diamond DMD tweeter is really good. Usher needs a powerfull amp, no problem for Master 3.
My gears:
Magna Mano Ultra -> Topping DX7s -> Audio-GD HE-1 -> Master 3
Thank you.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #6,019 of 11,260
@Chopin75 I haven't heard any plans to make external clocking available for product lines lower than the R7s. Doesn't mean it is not in the future goals. But no immediate plans in the usual rumblings from AGD.

But give it a little time. Kingwa just acquired a Mutec Ref 10 10M clock so no telling what he is up to. You can always Email Kingwa directly.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #6,020 of 11,260
@Chopin75 I haven't heard any plans to make external clocking available for product lines lower than the R7s. Doesn't mean it is not in the future goals. But no immediate plans in the usual rumblings from AGD.

But give it a little time. Kingwa just acquired a Mutec Ref 10 10M clock so no telling what he is up to. You can always Email Kingwa directly.
http://www.translatetheweb.com/?from=&to=en&ref=TVert&refd=www.bing.com&dl=en&rr=DC&a=http://bbs.audio-gd.com/dispbbs.asp?boardid=2&Id=31554
True, he might be able to make custom R7, R1 with clock input.

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #6,021 of 11,260
Hello Everyone,

I read good reviews about Usher Audio from Taiwan, and I planning a Usher Dancer Mini-X. The diamond DMD tweeter is really good. Usher needs a powerfull amp, no problem for Master 3.
My gears:
Thank you.

Audio-GD are voiced with Hulgich speakers, they aren't cheap though. Although everyone who has heard them knows they are priced too cheap (much like Audio-GD themselves heh).

If budget is an issue, anything sufficiently transparent will take advantage of the revealing nature of Audio-GD. The Usher Dancer Mini-X is a good budget speaker, one of my favourites at that price point. Another strong contender is the PMC Twenty5.21, I know they sound great with a full Audio-GD setup and are very revealing.

Almost forgot, there's also the Osborn EOS Reference around the same price. @FredA have a pair of the Osborn Eclipse speakers in his home, so he can give you impressions on them.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #6,022 of 11,260
Hello Everyone,

My gears:
Thank you.
I have a Master 3... heard the Usher Dancers Mini-X at their Taipei sales store. They seemed very refined, but surprisingly to me, I think I would ultimately prefer my current original Mark and Daniel Ruby for my mostly progressive rock listening and aging hearing. Even though the Master 3 has adequate power, if the speaker needs a higher volume to attain maximum quality, then you need live with that characteristic.

I heard some PCM's in Shanghai... not sure the exact model but really really liked those. To me a very different type of sound, more open and dynamic than the typical home speakers I have heard in my limited recent experience. The USA small monitors from Legacy were nice also.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #6,023 of 11,260
Audio-GD are voiced with Hulgich speakers, they aren't cheap though. Although everyone who has heard them knows they are priced too cheap (much like Audio-GD themselves heh).

If budget is an issue, anything sufficiently transparent will take advantage of the revealing nature of Audio-GD. The Usher Dancer Mini-X is a good budget speaker, one of my favourites at that price point. Another strong contender is the PMC Twenty5.21, I know they sound great with a full Audio-GD setup and are very revealing.

Almost forgot, there's also the Osborn EOS Reference around the same price. @FredA have a pair of the Osborn Eclipse speakers in his home, so he can give you impressions on them.

I have a possibility of listening a PCM twenty5 22i this week and later the Usher Dancer Mini-X DMD.
I'm very curious about the result.

Thank your advice.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #6,024 of 11,260
Hello,

I think I resolved the problems with the DAC. When used with a network player it works flawless. For the pc I installed Amanero USB Driver 1.0.62. For the moment it works ok. No more click's or pops. Listen to it for 1 hour.
I will come back with more feedback.

Thank you very much!

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #6,025 of 11,260
@Ventrino. Good to hear problem is sorted. You may have still no proper configuration on your PC. Windows do not produce the best sound by default. What player do you use? You need a player that can use WASAPI or ASIO driver. For WASAPI you have to additionally configure windows for exclusive mode. The best test for WASAPI Exclusive Mode is whether you can get sound when playing DSD files (ripped from SACD or downloaded samples).

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #6,026 of 11,260
Looking to check my firmware version and update to the latest one.

My DAC is R2R7HE.
I have seen it appears to be several versions avaliable ?

R-7_P2_DSDCLK_IIS3 Removed DSD/PCMpopping sound while change the track.
(Oct.2019)
R-7_Parallel_DOP_IIS3 Support DOP, removed DSD/PCMpopping sound while change the track.
(Oct.2019)
R-7_tda_Asy3_IIS3 Has the option to simulate TDA1541sounding and removed DSD/PCM popping sound while change thetrack.
(July.2019)
R-7_V3_IIS3 Class firmwares.
(Jul. 2018)

Is the one listed on top the best available one ?

Regarding the Quartus program, I don't have it anymore on my computer.
Audio-gd seem to advise web edition v12.1. This one is not available anymore for download.
Instead, there is v13.1. Will this one be compatible?
Which one of the two to download ?
Quartus II Software (includes Nios II EDS) Size: 1.5 GB
ModelSim-Altera Edition (includes Starter Edition) Size: 822.8 MB
Or maybe someone has a link to direct download of the right version ?

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #6,027 of 11,260
Looking to check my firmware version and update to the latest one.

My DAC is R2R7HE.
I have seen it appears to be several versions avaliable ?

R-7_P2_DSDCLK_IIS3 Removed DSD/PCMpopping sound while change the track.
(Oct.2019)
R-7_Parallel_DOP_IIS3 Support DOP, removed DSD/PCMpopping sound while change the track.
(Oct.2019)
R-7_tda_Asy3_IIS3 Has the option to simulate TDA1541sounding and removed DSD/PCM popping sound while change thetrack.
(July.2019)
R-7_V3_IIS3 Class firmwares.
(Jul. 2018)

Is the one listed on top the best available one ?

Regarding the Quartus program, I don't have it anymore on my computer.
Audio-gd seem to advise web edition v12.1. This one is not available anymore for download.
Instead, there is v13.1. Will this one be compatible?
Which one of the two to download ?
Quartus II Software (includes Nios II EDS) Size: 1.5 GB
ModelSim-Altera Edition (includes Starter Edition) Size: 822.8 MB
Or maybe someone has a link to direct download of the right version ?

Hi,
I think the DSDCLK sounded the best. You can use this link: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!321&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1 The form member DACLadder is generous and let us download useful programs and codes from there
/Jan

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #6,028 of 11,260
Looks like there is no more a Smooth and an Accurate version.
So the match is between these 2 firmwares ?
R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop_IIS3.jic (Asy3)
R7tda_Asy_P2_dsdclk_IIS3.jic (DSDCLK)
Any final winner or is it a matter of taste ?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #6,029 of 11,260
Smooth and Accurate went away when Kingwa released asynchronous firmware. I use DoP on the R7 and DSDCLK on my M7 DACs. Why? I like how they sound. People pick what they like for their ears and system. With R7HE try DoP and DSDCLK.

Quartus 12.1 is obsolete. Use Quartus 16.0 programing tool. Requires no license and the 64 bit version runs great on Windows 10. The Audio GD firmware download page has instructions for downloading 16.0 either 32 bit or 64 bit variations. Just download and install. The cloud link for Quartus 16.0 32 and 64 is also provided below...
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!321&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #6,030 of 11,260
I managed with v13.1 in the end.
Unfortunately, latest 2 firmwares (R7tda_Asy_P2_dsdclk_IIS3.jic & R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop_IIS3.jic) are not working on the I2S RJ45 input, I have a buzz noise instead of sound.
I went back to smooth V3.
I emailed Kingwa about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back