New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jun 2, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #6,001 of 11,260
Hi, I don't own the R7 2020 either but I know that Kingwa started to build the program system for the DI20/HE to accept the ext XO input. He then transplanted the programming to the R7, and named it R7 2020. The only "FAIL" report I know of with the DI20HE is when the EXT XO is chosen and the XO is out of spec or missing. I am pretty sure this is what happend for You. In some way You set the the EXT XO input active....
Just my two cents...
Hope You can solve this by reading the manual @DACLadder linked or by taking contact with Audio-gd, to guide You right.
/Jan
Thanks , actually i figured the problem ,,
the Os is flipped with the Dith and the Mode flipped with Pll, so my menu is like this :
Dith │ Pll │ Os │ Mode │ Di
so thats way i got the Fail msge ,, now everything is super clear and easy.

Jun 2, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #6,002 of 11,260
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #6,003 of 11,260
Hello guys
Im running my R8 with R-8_Parallel_DOP firmware, released on oct-19.

Wich firmware do you like the most with your R8 or R7 (HE versions or not) DACs and why?

By the way, R-8_Parallel_DOP firmware sounds great, but as always, Im hungry for more! :ksc75smile:

Thank you.

Jun 3, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #6,004 of 11,260
Hello guys
Im running my R8 with R-8_Parallel_DOP firmware, released on oct-19.

Wich firmware do you like the most with your R8 or R7 (HE versions or not) DACs and why?

By the way, R-8_Parallel_DOP firmware sounds great, but as always, Im hungry for more! :ksc75smile:

Thank you.

I like the Mar 2020 version better. However, you have to rewire before you can use this version. Once updated, you can't go back without rewire again. R8HE with DI20HE, that just my ears with my type of music with my system (mainly speakers).

Jun 13, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #6,005 of 11,260
I ordered the Master 1 Vacuum XLR balanced, very curious how it performs compared to my Master 1

The Vacuum HE-1 is amazing! Breathtaking ! It sounds like the Solid state HE1 which is a master piece, The Vacuum is slightly more focused on mid section and wonderful micro detail height. You do loose the ACSS capability. Also the vacuum has a sweet spot (volume range). If you like to play really, really loud the HE1 solid state doesn’t bother at all. The HE1 Vacuum stays less tight. I have compared both.

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #6,007 of 11,260
Hello.

Immediately - I ask you to forgive, English is not my native way to Express thoughts, so please do not look for hidden meaning in my posts :)

I recently became the owner of a set of AudioGD devices
R7HE (2019) and HE1
Before that, the Exogal Comet Plus DAC worked in my system for a long time.
Just as long in the system was Soundaware D300Ref, which suits absolutely everyone.
It was connected to the DAC from Exogal via the AES interface. There were no problems. Played any of the available formats, except DSD native. Since my DAC does not accept it via the AES interface.
It was decided to connect the new DAC directly to the D300Ref via the i2S interface.
But what a disappointment it was when I heard noise instead of music at the beginning.
Yes, almost immediately I realized that the problem can be solved by switching the input to the DAC several times, 2-3 times was usually enough, the problem disappeared, and the format that was played did not cause failures. But as soon as I switched from PCM to DSD, the noise would reappear.
Another connection method (AES, Coax) solved this problem completely, the noise does not appear on these interfaces under any circumstances, but the sound quality is noticeably inferior to the I2S interface.
Just note that I connected the equipment with a fairly short HDMI cable, only 50cm. and its quality did not cause any questions, just in case I took a known working cable for a while, but the problem was repeated with it.

Before purchasing a DAC from AudioGD, I tested Soundaware with a single DAC over the i2S bus, and there were no problems.
Also, after detecting the problem, my friend helped me check the DAC operation on the I2S interface with its Audio-GD DI-20HE Converter, and again there were no problems.. once, there was a minor squeak, but the systemic nature of the problem has not been worn.

To solve the problem, I tried changing the firmware to D300REF, but it didn't work.
I tried to change the firmware on the DAC, and then I realized that almost all of them give a different effect, relative to my problem.
As you know, there are several firmware versions: synchronous and asynchronous.
(From the description on the site: Synchronous use the MCLK of the transport device, asynchronous use the internal CLK generator). Firmware has a common code for a number of R2R devices.
So:

R-7_V3 (Jul. 2018), the very first, asynchronous version, does not cause noise when switching PCM-DSD, There is no noise after initialization, but often breaks down to noise in PCM formats 176-192 KHz. In terms of sound quality, questionable firmware.

R-7_tda (Apr.2019), there is no noise when switching PCM 44.1/16bit to DSD, but there is constant noise in 24bit records, this noise does not disappear when trying to switch inputs to DAC.

R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop (July.2019) and R-7_P2_DSDCLK (Oct.2019) both behave the same, the noise when any signal is applied to the input immediately after switching on, it can be fixed by switching the DAC inputs, at some point there is a sound, but when you send a DSD signal, the noise returns, you can remove it by switching the inputs. By the way, DSD Native on these firmware is not played-NOISE, remove switching inputs is not possible.
Firmware R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop produces the best sound quality.

Further... I write letters to manufacturers.
Mr. Kingwa of Audio-GD, in fact, was the first to respond.
In short, his answer is that Soundaware does not produce an accurate signal, so the DAC can not always catch it, and in the new DAC firmware, the accuracy is improved and all timings are tightened. this makes it even more difficult to lock a bad signal.
He asks for a real diagram of the output signal of the i2S D300, and wants to make sure that the phase of the signal is correct.
Soundaware wrote with a big delay, complained about the raging virus. They say that we do not work because of it, we recommended checking the compatibility of interfaces by pins. Well, they're sort of compatible, and Mr. Kingwa and I checked it out.

Actually... I have a question to users: Perhaps someone has a Soundaware D300 / REF and AudioGD DAC connected via the I2S interface, how does it work for you? Are there any bugs?

I want to leave here information about the final story with DAC R7HE and Soundaware D300REF.

It turned out that the non-compatibility issue is on the DAC Audio-GD side. By the way, many thanks to @REAN1MAT0R for helping to establish the real cause of the noise.

As a result, the Seller in Russia offered me a replacement with an additional payment for the new model R7HE version 2020. And only recently I was able to get my long-awaited replacement.

Now there is only the problem of channel inversion in DSD, but I understand that there is no single standard for balanced I2S HDMI and somehow I will survive this "pain". Moreover, I rarely listen to content in DSD.

By the way, when changing the DAC version, I noticed a difference in the bass pitch of the old and new versions.
The 2019 version dug the bass to the very depths in any case, sometimes even with some overdoing enveloped the density of overtones.
In the new version of 2020, the bass is very accurate, sometimes it even seems that it is almost not enough to fully convey the feeling of space. But since my acoustics are active... :) , I slightly twisted the handle of the lower band and calmed down. But for those who do not have such controls, keep in mind that I am not the only one who noticed this feature in the new DAC line from Audio-GD.

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #6,008 of 11,260
I want to leave here information about the final story with DAC R7HE and Soundaware D300REF.

It turned out that the non-compatibility issue is on the DAC Audio-GD side. By the way, many thanks to @REAN1MAT0R for helping to establish the real cause of the noise.

As a result, the Seller in Russia offered me a replacement with an additional payment for the new model R7HE version 2020. And only recently I was able to get my long-awaited replacement.

Now there is only the problem of channel inversion in DSD, but I understand that there is no single standard for balanced I2S HDMI and somehow I will survive this "pain". Moreover, I rarely listen to content in DSD.

By the way, when changing the DAC version, I noticed a difference in the bass pitch of the old and new versions.
The 2019 version dug the bass to the very depths in any case, sometimes even with some overdoing enveloped the density of overtones.
In the new version of 2020, the bass is very accurate, sometimes it even seems that it is almost not enough to fully convey the feeling of space. But since my acoustics are active... :) , I slightly twisted the handle of the lower band and calmed down. But for those who do not have such controls, keep in mind that I am not the only one who noticed this feature in the new DAC line from Audio-GD.
These dacs need 1000 hours to reach their full potential. Using an external clock will make the bass better.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #6,010 of 11,260
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #6,011 of 11,260
Jun 16, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #6,012 of 11,260
Hi,
Get a DI20HE, hook both the DI20HE and Your R7-2020 to a decent EXT XO and You will have a very good result. Feeding music material from a PC need a good galvanic isolation, and with the DI20HE, You have a well working and very good sounding setup.
/Jan
Thank you ,, the DI20HE is under the radar but the size and heat generated i am looking first to much simpler solutions ,
beside that i am thinking about something without any USB conversion , that's why i was asking about the PCI card
Any EXT XO in mind ?

Thank you Jan

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #6,014 of 11,260
The Morion MV89A seems to be a good choice. I have been running a few different $50-$150 before I purchased a Mutec REF 10 SE-120. The best of them was the Oscilloquartz 8663. I have one for sale. Holding my other one feeding a Gustard U16. Works great

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #6,015 of 11,260

Users who are viewing this thread

Back