New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Jun 10, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,471 of 1,962
Yeah, that's what I feel as well, especially after considering how carefully AGD words their description of the NOS line. The DAC-19 is really a special DAC in my opinion and my upgrade path would need to far exceed a minor bump/difference in quality for me to consider selling it.

Yeah, I feel the same way.  The DAC-19 has been serving me very well and I've yet to hear something that's better enough for me to upgrade.  It even does the Liquid Tungsten justice!

Also, @Hansotek just got one used and says it has a great synergy with the Liquid Crimson.  Probably another reason why I'm loathe to let it go.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,472 of 1,962
Yeah, I feel the same way.  The DAC-19 has been serving me very well and I've yet to hear something that's better enough for me to upgrade.  It even does the Liquid Tungsten justice!

Also, @Hansotek
 just got one used and says it has a great synergy with the Liquid Crimson.  Probably another reason why I'm loathe to let it go.

OMG, the pairing with the Crimson is AMAZING. Honestly, it's a fantastic DAC and easily performs above its price. I really like the AGD PCM1704 implementation.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #1,473 of 1,962
I'm not convinced that the NOS line is supposed to be an upgrade.  I thought it was just a flavor difference...?

Correct! But it really depends how you look at it. If it's strictly in measurements... Then yes. It's not an upgrade. But for those who love the NOS sound, then it could be considered an upgrade.
But isn't any choice of DAC or amp just another flavor? Some are better flavored :) but none really taste that bad. :p shoot, I just built one of those objective 2 amps for my father in law and it's definitely not on the level of my m11, but it's not bad either. Some may say it's in upgrade if space was a big issue to them. Lol. Ok I'm stretching it a bit. I do get your point.

To me... The NOS11 is likely an upgrade over the master11, as that's what I'm doing to my m11 right now as its sitting in China. Also installing silver Occ wire from a very reputable company, along with eizz xlr and RCA connectors. While its in there it's getting the nos11 modifications, mcu firmware update for potential volume spikes, and I'll be adding a few other things once it's back.
But... To me, I love the NOS sound on the m11, and understand it's even better on the NOS11. So why not! It's reversible! I got the USB blaster to flash the firmware back to m11 if I want. I just need to remove the oscillator too. I believe that would be easy enough.

My wife is getting a big upgrade to a dual dam1021 im building her and she is selling her nfb-28 once that happens. Something about r2r sound... :)

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #1,474 of 1,962
Correct! But it really depends how you look at it. If it's strictly in measurements... Then yes. It's not an upgrade. But for those who love the NOS sound, then it could be considered an upgrade.
But isn't any choice of DAC or amp just another flavor? Some are better flavored
smily_headphones1.gif
but none really taste that bad. :p shoot, I just built one of those objective 2 amps for my father in law and it's definitely not on the level of my m11, but it's not bad either. Some may say it's in upgrade if space was a big issue to them. Lol. Ok I'm stretching it a bit. I do get your point.

To me... The NOS11 is likely an upgrade over the master11, as that's what I'm doing to my m11 right now as its sitting in China. Also installing silver Occ wire from a very reputable company, along with eizz xlr and RCA connectors. While its in there it's getting the nos11 modifications, mcu firmware update for potential volume spikes, and I'll be adding a few other things once it's back.
But... To me, I love the NOS sound on the m11, and understand it's even better on the NOS11. So why not! It's reversible! I got the USB blaster to flash the firmware back to m11 if I want. I just need to remove the oscillator too. I believe that would be easy enough.

My wife is getting a big upgrade to a dual dam1021 im building her and she is selling her nfb-28 once that happens. Something about r2r sound...
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you still have the heat generators EMI blockers on your chips?  
biggrin.gif
  Seriously tho, I'm curious how your M11 will sound after all that.  Good luck with it!

On a side note, have you heard from Kingwa lately?  I emailed him and haven't heard back, which is unusual.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,475 of 1,962
Do you still have the heat generators EMI blockers on your chips?  :D   Seriously tho, I'm curious how your M11 will sound after all that.  Good luck with it!

On a side note, have you heard from Kingwa lately?  I emailed him and haven't heard back, which is unusual.

I haven't heard from Kingwa in a few weeks honestly. I should hear soon though. My m11 is in customs and has been for over a week. But should be in Kingwas hands soon. I expect to hear from him next week. He goes dark a lot lately. Last time I heard he was sick.

And yes I still have the 3M ab5050s emi/rf film on many of the ic's
It was a coincidence I had heat issues. I actually removed them and seems it didn't make a difference with heat. Nothing significant according to a laser temp reading. I'm quite interested to know what it will sound like with the new wire and connectors :) 21awg occ silver! should be good!

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,476 of 1,962

Also, @Hansotek just got one used and says it has a great synergy with the Liquid Crimson.  Probably another reason why I'm loathe to let it go.

Oh yeah, I am loving this combo. Intense, engaging and powerful with a strong sense of momentum and flow to the music. You can really feel the energy of the song. Great synergy.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,479 of 1,962
  I'm having a hard time finding out what is the difference between the TCXO usb upgrade and the Amanero one! Anyone could help me out?

They're not the same thing.  TXCO is an upgrade to the clocking mechanism to reduce jitter.  Amanero is a completely different USB interface (different chip, different driver). 

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,481 of 1,962
  Oh, I see. So, in theory, you can, for best results, have both in the same time. Thank you!

Yes indeed!  Assuming you think the Amanero sounds better than the default chip, which is XMOS now I believe.  I don't know that anyone has done a direct A/B, but I know people have upgraded from Via to Amanero and claim it sounds better.  Given the time between sending it back and getting upgraded and receiving it again, and the subtelty of the differences in USB chips, I'm not sure I trust their judgement. 

*shrug* but who am I to say... I haven't heard the Amanero so maybe it's a really obvious upgrade and I'm missing out.  Either way, for the minimal price difference, seems worth it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,482 of 1,962

Yes indeed!  Assuming you think the Amanero sounds better than the default chip, which is XMOS now I believe.  I don't know that anyone has done a direct A/B, but I know people have upgraded from Via to Amanero and claim it sounds better.  Given the time between sending it back and getting upgraded and receiving it again, and the subtelty of the differences in USB chips, I'm not sure I trust their judgement. 

*shrug* but who am I to say... I haven't heard the Amanero so maybe it's a really obvious upgrade and I'm missing out.  Either way, for the minimal price difference, seems worth it.

Great, thanks! Hopefully in a week's time I will be able to audition my own DAC-19 with amanero mod. I have heard yours (connected to the Crimson if memory serves me right) back at the AV Source meeting in Torrance and I got hooked up on it, on an instant.

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #1,483 of 1,962

Great, thanks! Hopefully in a week's time I will be able to audition my own DAC-19 with amanero mod. I have heard yours (connected to the Crimson if memory serves me right) back at the AV Source meeting in Torrance and I got hooked up on it, on an instant.

Cool, if you do get your hands on one with Amanero, I'd love to A/B it with my Via!  This would be the first time anyone's done that...

Are you coming to the Focal event this weekend?

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,484 of 1,962

Cool, if you do get your hands on one with Amanero, I'd love to A/B it with my Via!  This would be the first time anyone's done that...

Are you coming to the Focal event this weekend?

If I will eventually get that DAC-19 we can make a shootout.

Yep, I will be there, 99%. My first encounter with the Tungsten! :D

See you there?

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,485 of 1,962

If I will eventually get that DAC-19 we can make a shootout.

Yep, I will be there, 99%. My first encounter with the Tungsten! :D

See you there?

Absolutely.  The Utopia is one of the best headphones I've ever heard and I can't wait to hear it on the LW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back