New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
May 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,441 of 1,962
That's strange Zaven. My DAC-19 has 2 sets of RCA output as well. The only case I have heard distortion is when it was connnected to LC (off) and Ragnarok. If the LC is switched on, then there is no distortion.

With all other amps with single set of RCA input anf the Rok, there is no distortion issue. @Currawong provided an explanation in the Gungnir thread. However, your case seems to be different since you can hear distortion even with both amps are on?

May 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,442 of 1,962
That's strange Zaven. My DAC-19 has 2 sets of RCA output as well. The only case I have heard distortion is when it was connnected to LC (off) and Ragnarok. If the LC is switched on, then there is no distortion.

With all other amps with single set of RCA input anf the Rok, there is no distortion issue. @Currawong provided an explanation in the Gungnir thread. However, your case seems to be different since you can hear distortion even with both amps are on?

So I turned everything off and then plugged in both amps and turned them both on, and they both seem to work fine. I supposed it has to do with LC being off then, since that's when I hear it many times. I usually only keep only the amp that I'm using turned on. 

Can you please link me to the explanation?

May 23, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,443 of 1,962

So I turned everything off and then plugged in both amps and turned them both on, and they both seem to work fine. I supposed it has to do with LC being off then, since that's when I hear it many times. I usually only keep only the amp that I'm using turned on. 

Can you please link me to the explanation?

Here you go http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/3630#post_12567276

May 23, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,444 of 1,962
  Here you go http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/3630#post_12567276

Thanks man! So glad to read this. I was thinking something was wrong with my DAC-19!

May 23, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,445 of 1,962

Thanks man! So glad to read this. I was thinking something was wrong with my DAC-19!

This happens with my LC too.  When I have it hooked up to the loop out on my Liquid Crimson and turned off, I get distortion in my Crimson.  Turned on, nothing.  I didn't say anything before because you said it happens on or off.  Makes more sense that it only happens when off.

May 23, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,446 of 1,962

This happens with my LC too.  When I have it hooked up to the loop out on my Liquid Crimson and turned off, I get distortion in my Crimson.  Turned on, nothing.  I didn't say anything before because you said it happens on or off.  Makes more sense that it only happens when off.

I hadn't considered the possibility of the LC being off causing distortion. Thanks to all you folks I have one less thing to worry about.

May 23, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #1,447 of 1,962

Unfortunately, Audio-GD stuff is rare enough around where I live that I've never seen two of their products in the same building unless I own them.  And while I'm by no means the last word on this kind of thing, I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone discussing owning one before the 10th Anniversary Edition.  I think they really got known around here after the Yggy brought R2R back into the spotlight.

Thanks for taking time to answer. In the mean time I have found this posted on page 3 in this thread:

According to Kingwa improvement over previous DAC19DSP version is substantial. The changes according with my email exchange with Kingwa are :-

"There are a lot different design on the DAC19.
1, The USB had support up to 192K 32bit (latest USB32 module)
2, The newer DSP software design (same as Master 7)  make the sound more detail and neutral.
3, The analog output had the parts assemble on board but the older version had the modules assemble.
4, The all parts had the class A power supply but the older version had the linear for the digital parts."

It seems the differences are not minor indeed.

May 23, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #1,448 of 1,962
Why do you ask?  Looking at a used one?

May 23, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,449 of 1,962
Is there any one here who can do an Amanero384 USB module install on an Audiogd DAC?  Mine is the Reference  5.32... I would like to replace the 32bit USB with the Amanero (which I already have in hand) but I lack the requisite DIY skills, and am too intimidated to try it myself. If you can do this or know someone who can, let me know.

And sorry if this sounds a little off topic.

May 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,450 of 1,962
Why do you ask?  Looking at a used one?

Yeah, there's one up for sale in the classifieds. Not the anniversary edition though. I have heard yours with liquid crimson back in Sunday and loved it. I think it would go really well with my carbon and hd800, too.

May 23, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #1,451 of 1,962
Ditto on the Dac-19 Crimson Carbon distortion. Turn on the LC and all is good. I solved the problem by selling the Liquid Carbon.

Ok,ok, I'd have sold it anyway, the Crimson is better, and I wanted to own a high(ish) falutin' amp. (For the record, the Carbon is stunning in its own right.)

May 23, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,452 of 1,962
Is there any one here who can do an Amanero384 USB module install on an Audiogd DAC?  Mine is the Reference  5.32... I would like to replace the 32bit USB with the Amanero (which I already have in hand) but I lack the requisite DIY skills, and am too intimidated to try it myself. If you can do this or know someone who can, let me know.

And sorry if this sounds a little off topic.

Ditto on this as well. There is an Amanaro board up for sale, I just don't know where to start.

May 23, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #1,453 of 1,962
Yeah, there's one up for sale in the classifieds. Not the anniversary edition though. I have heard yours with liquid crimson back in Sunday and loved it. I think it would go really well with my carbon and hd800, too.

I'm considering selling my DAC-19 (10th annv) with Amanero USB installed at the factory. PM if you're interested.

Edit: I should clarify, I love the DAC-19 to bits! I'm just thinking of moving to top tier gear so I don't have room for both.

May 27, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,454 of 1,962
I'm considering selling my DAC-19 (10th annv) with Amanero USB installed at the factory. PM if you're interested.

Edit: I should clarify, I love the DAC-19 to bits! I'm just thinking of moving to top tier gear so I don't have room for both.

Oh no. And it has optical input too?

May 27, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,455 of 1,962
Anywhere in the states that can upgrade the DAC19 10th anniversary to DAC19 NOS? I'm out in Colorado and I don't want to ship to China. Otherwise I'm thinking of buying a new NOS-19 and selling my old one. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back