New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Jun 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,486 of 1,962
I'm not exactly sure why, as I'm not a computer engineer, and the computer engineers I've listened to generally don't seem to fully understand either... but there is quite a huge variation between sources when fed into the the DAC-19 (okay, really any dac).** Presently, I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad Edge with Windows 10 using Foobar2000, and a Jplay driver, which employs Kernal Streaming and some other stuff I don't understand, typically along with the program Fidelizer Pro, and, here's where it gets weird: I'm playing CDs and sending the raw PCM out through the USB cable that came with the DAC. 

The sound is so far superior to any other set-up I've been able to achieve that it's ridiculous. The tone is dead accurate and at the same time not digital at all, free flowing and smooth, while the instruments are locked in place in very three-dimensional space and the PRaT is rock solid, no matter what I listen to. But the truly silly thing is that I essentially have a very cumbersome CD player.  Granted, I would be happy to let any one in my area test this set-up out against a high-end CD player, which unfortunately I do not have on hand to compare with.

For some reason, I cannot seem to get files to play with the same rock solid grip from the internal or external hard drive as I can just playing CDs. And streaming in FLAC doesn't come close.

**For instance, when not fed a proper source the DAC-19 can still sound dark, buttery, and relatively musical, but it looses the sure-footedness and sharply defined imaging it is actually capable of. Indeed, with poor sources, just like with any other DAC, it can sound weak and fuzzy around the edges. But if you're planning on putting crap into your dac, you might as well stick with a regular computer sound card, which is in fact designed to play crap. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,487 of 1,962
  I'm not exactly sure why, as I'm not a computer engineer, and the computer engineers I've listened to generally don't seem to fully understand either... but there is quite a huge variation between sources when fed into the the DAC-19 (okay, really any dac).** Presently, I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad Edge with Windows 10 using Foobar2000, and a Jplay driver, which employs Kernal Streaming and some other stuff I don't understand, typically along with the program Fidelizer Pro, and, here's where it gets weird: I'm playing CDs and sending the raw PCM out through the USB cable that came with the DAC. 

The sound is so far superior to any other set-up I've been able to achieve that it's ridiculous. The tone is dead accurate and at the same time not digital at all, free flowing and smooth, while the instruments are locked in place in very three-dimensional space and the PRaT is rock solid, no matter what I listen to. But the truly silly thing is that I essentially have a very cumbersome CD player.  Granted, I would be happy to let any one in my area test this set-up out against a high-end CD player, which unfortunately I do not have on hand to compare with.

For some reason, I cannot seem to get files to play with the same rock solid grip from the internal or external hard drive as I can just playing CDs. And streaming in FLAC doesn't come close.

**For instance, when not fed a proper source the DAC-19 can still sound dark, buttery, and relatively musical, but it looses the sure-footedness and sharply defined imaging it is actually capable of. Indeed, with poor sources, just like with any other DAC, it can sound weak and fuzzy around the edges. But if you're planning on putting crap into your dac, you might as well stick with a regular computer sound card, which is in fact designed to play crap. 

1. You might have left some playback device configuration turned on in Windows
    1. Stuff like Dolby, loudness, special effects, DSPs, etc
  2. Foobar configuration is foobared
    1. Tweaking has resulted in sub-optimal configuration that is affecting output SQ
      1. DSPs, addins, etc
    2. Reset Foobar config or try Foobar portable
  3. Configuration of Windows drivers is buggy and/or foobared because of all the stuff you have installed
    1. revert to a clean default install of the Amanero or XMOS driver, whichever your DAC 19 is using
  4. The FLAC rips came off of CDs that were made from MP3s
    1. It happens...

There is no PC CD playing magic involved, it's likely sub-par SQ playing other sources due to the config on your PC. I bet if you did a clean install and only put foobar and the DAC-19 ASIO driver on it, there would be no crazy difference between FLAC and CD SQ, because to begin with, there is no difference in sound quality as FLAC is lossless.

So, no.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #1,489 of 1,962
  Howe well would the Audio-GD DAC 19 and the NFB1AMP work for the HD 800 and HE 560?
Would that be a fully balanced setup?

It would not be a fully balanced setup because the DAC-19 is not balanced.  As to how well the setup would work... it should rive them just fine.  But I'd venture to guess it'll be a little on the bright side with those headphones that are already bright.  I liked the DAC-19 with NFB-28 amp (similar to NFB-1AMP) and the HE-560, but I don't think I'd recommend it for the HD800.  I haven't heard the pairing though so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #1,490 of 1,962
As it seems the HD 800 can only be tamed by tube amps 
angry_face.gif

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #1,493 of 1,962
  As it seems the HD 800 can only be tamed by tube amps 
angry_face.gif

That's not true.  The HD800 sound fantastic out of the Liquid Carbon (and pretty much any Cavalli amp).  The Questyle CMA600i sounds really good with the HD800 as well, if you're looking for an all-in-one.  

But I do love the HD800 with my DAC-19.  I would say don't bother with the NFB-28 and the HD800, that will be way too bright.  

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,494 of 1,962

Sadly yes.
I have been using the HD 800 with my modded Asus STX 2 though, which probably leads to some sibilance.

So I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am torn between DAC 19 + NFB1AMP, NFB-28 or go guns blazing to the NOS 11.

Whether it's PC1704UK or ES9018 - Audio-gd DAC implementations are all balanced and quite well behaved when it comes to treble, so it won't matter too much which choice you make. The amps are also balanced and neutral, so you won't have any problems with sibilance there either.

I would get the DAC-19 - you can turn the NOS jumpers on and if you don't like it, just revert. 

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,495 of 1,962
Another nod for the DAC19, but a nod against the NFB7 from me. The treble on that thing is not what you want paired with a neutral-bright headphone.

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,496 of 1,962

Whether it's PC1704UK or ES9018 - Audio-gd DAC implementations are all balanced and quite well behaved when it comes to treble, so it won't matter too much which choice you make. The amps are also balanced and neutral, so you won't have any problems with sibilance there either.

I would get the DAC-19 - you can turn the NOS jumpers on and if you don't like it, just revert. 

Hmm, I have a DAC-19 coming with the NOS thing, so you say, it can be manually turned on/off?

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,497 of 1,962
Thanks for the great input.

I am thinking about getting the Audio-GD - NFB 28 first.
If I don't like the Sabre DAC I can always get the DAC 19 separately. 

In the best case I would be content with the 899,00€ solution, if not I can spend another 889.00€ on the DAC 19 and bypass the Sabre.

Does anyone have any experience with their ES9018 improvements?
Different to the last generation NFB-1 (2015):
The newly designed ES9018 can setting the built in filter parameter , it can auto detect the input signal DSD and remove the switch noise . In this design, the input signal had less signal journey feed to the ES9018 , improve on the sound quality .

Jun 18, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,498 of 1,962
The pricier the Audio-gd Sabre Sabre is, the more analytic and spacious it seems to be.
NFB28 seems like a good start if you haven't had a Sabre yet, avoid the highest models for now is my advice. 

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #1,499 of 1,962
  The pricier the Audio-gd Sabre Sabre is, the more analytic and spacious it seems to be.
NFB28 seems like a good start if you haven't had a Sabre yet, avoid the highest models for now is my advice. 

Thanks for the input.

Does it make a big negative impact on the sound quality if I use a single ended DAC (19) with a balanced amp?
Somehow I cannot find any good sources online regarding this subject.

Jun 19, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,500 of 1,962
Thanks for the input.

Does it make a big negative impact on the sound quality if I use a single ended DAC (19) with a balanced amp?
Somehow I cannot find any good sources online regarding this subject.

That depends on the amp and not DAC. I use DAC-19 with Schiit Ragnarok. I prefer it compared to NFB-1DAC feeding Ragnarok balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back