New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #211 of 455
Yes, I agree that they might not be the best choices, but if we take in account the price, maybe they just might. Again, there's also the ideal of having a set from the same company for best sound.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #213 of 455
Can't imagine a lighter headband would reduce that much weight

Spring steel is actually very heavy stuff... I can see this cutting that component weight in half but comfort is I think what they are after here regarding no pressure point on top of the head.  I am quite sure there will also be a weight reduction to the motors as well since the new diaphragm is said to be quite a bit more efficient and resolute it affords them the luxury of shaving weight off the magnets and cups.

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #214 of 455
Spring steel is actually very heavy stuff... I can see this cutting that component weight in half but comfort is I think what they are after here regarding no pressure point on top of the head.  I am quite sure there will also be a weight reduction to the motors as well since the new diaphragm is said to be quite a bit more efficient and resolute it affords them the luxury of shaving weight off the magnets and cups.

Well, if you skimp on the magnets, that would cut into the sensitivity. I'd wager the magnet assembly is probably the same.

se

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #215 of 455
Nov 2, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #216 of 455

I'm failing to see how spring steel is heavier than normal steel. As far as weight is concerned, steel is generally the best metal for weight vs. strength (in a leaf spring configuration). Composites have some weight saving possibilities and the ability to have directionality built-in but strain may be limited. In any case when you're looking to save weight, it's normally an exercise of trimming small amounts off every where you can rather than saying "oh well not much can be done here so let's not bother". Every little helps.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #218 of 455
  ounce for ounce carbon fiber is significantly stronger and stiffer then steel.

True. However, what we need in this application is a pretty large deflection with a fairly low (in engineering terms) clamping force. Carbon fibre reinforced plastic CAN have these properties but normally do not. Or rather the lays and whatnot have to be designed specifically for the application which can be expensive and quite difficult to achieve properly.

I'm deviating from my point though. Steel is actually pretty awesome for this particular application even in comparison to CFRP even when we do not think about costs. The deflections involved means a lot of plastics that can reach these strains cannot provide enough clamping force and those that can cannot reach those strains. Other metals like aluminum won't be able to provide the strain without permanently deforming (or would be some crazy section that end up weighing more than the steel alternative). People view steel as low-tech but it's still the most suitable for most applications. Actually a head band is a little like leaf springs in cars. Steel still provides the best solution. Some use GFRP but mostly in applications where large strains/whee travel are not required.

From my amateurish look at the LCD headphones, I'd be surprised if they can shave off more than 10-15%. Bear in mind we're not talking about some victorian cast iron creation to start with. I'd love to see what can be done with 3D printing for the housing, but even that might not be enough to bring things to a comfortable level for the more sensitive folks but you never know, a little here and little there... IMO, the best approach is to look into the main functions of the headband which are a.)keeping the drivers a proper distance and angle from the ears and b.)supporting the weight of the assembly. If the two are properly done without one adversely impeding on the other, it is possible to have the same mass but increased comfort. Easy to say, but most likely a pita to do, I'm sure.

*While the abyss is wildly ugly, I think its approach in headband design is pretty good. Shame it looks like something only a dentist would put on your head. That or somebody trying to get a confession of witchcraft out of you...

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #219 of 455
  I'd be surprised if they can shave off more than 10-15%. 

Since we don't know what each part weighs, I'm not sure any of are in a position to make an accurate guess how much could be trimmed. Perhaps Audeze has CAD models that allow them to experiment with different materials or parts redesigned to use less material. However, 15% would be a great start. That would be a bit over three ounces from the LCD-X.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #221 of 455
I'd like to see polls of who's bothered by the weight. I feel like it's a vocal minority?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back